Microsoft’s Regional Director Rips Blu-Ray Questions Sony's Strategy

TheChefO said:
No I was saying (and I think his point was) that if they were launching with a new GT then it would spur more people to fork over the cash for ps3 instead of perhaps taking a wait and see attitude.

The same thing can be said about MGS, FF, Tekken etc.

GT isnt at all included in the games people are crazy about to get their hands on as soon as possible.

Its not like 360 launched with super powerful franchises either and despite that it has been released almost a year ago, it still hasnt shown the expected dramatic improvement I was waiting for although some very good titles did appear.

PS3 does have some highly interesting titles that might be available at launch and comparing it with 360's offerings its almost on par with current 360 games if not completely on par or different.

He is in no position to comment on PS3's launch especially when he doesnt know what games PS3 will launch with.

rabidrabbit said:
And why did you even announce the HD-DVD addon if you feel there's really no need for a high definition movie disc format?
Why even include DVD playback if nothing else matters than games, and why even include Windows Media Center streaming if nothing matters but gaming.
Why even include downloadable music and (HD) videos in Live if games are all that are needed.
Why are you forcing us to pay for the "Live" service? Why can't we choose from the services we want??
Why even talk about "Live Anywhere" and all the content included that is not games.
Why are Microsoft forcing us all that???
'

- He never said there was no need, he said it should be optional.
- again, he never said nothing but gaming matters, where are you getting this drivel? it's about the FOCUS of the console
- read ^
- No one is forced to pay for live, it's optional
- Live anywhere focuses on cross platform gaming, what's the problem?

You're exagerating his comments to the extreme. It's PR, it's bad enough in it's raw form without being completely exagerated.

Nesh said:
The same thing can be said about MGS, FF, Tekken etc.

GT isnt at all included in the games people are crazy about to get their hands on as soon as possible.

Its not like 360 launched with super powerful franchises either and despite that it has been released almost a year ago, it still hasnt shown the expected dramatic improvement I was waiting for although some very good titles did appear.

PS3 does have some highly interesting titles that might be available at launch and comparing it with 360's offerings its almost on par with current 360 games if not completely on par or different.

He is in no position to comment on PS3's launch especially when he doesnt know what games PS3 will launch with.

I think MS just picked one of Sony's best selling franchises as an example of what would have made it a more impactful launch. As I said previously, the launch lineup could have been a more anticipated one with some franchises people are more familiar with. As it is, it might be the best launch lineup ever of any console, but there isnt the hype surrounding the launch lineup that would have been there if a more popular title was launching with the system.

WRT 360 launch:
It would have been the same as far as anticipation if they would have had Halo3 at launch or some other popular title. But the difference is they were first out of the gate so those itching for hd gaming picked one up at launch.

I'm simply saying this: The more money one charges for something the more desirable/needed that thing must be. This is even more important if one has competition offering similar services for less.

TheChefO said:
I think MS just picked one of Sony's best selling franchises as an example of what would have made it a more impactful launch. As I said previously, the launch lineup could have been a more anticipated one with some franchises people are more familiar with. As it is, it might be the best launch lineup ever of any console, but there isnt the hype surrounding the launch lineup that would have been there if a more popular title was launching with the system.

WRT 360 launch:
It would have been the same as far as anticipation if they would have had Halo3 at launch or some other popular title. But the difference is they were first out of the gate so those itching for hd gaming picked one up at launch.

I'm simply saying this: The more money one charges for something the more desirable/needed that thing must be. This is even more important if one has competition offering similar services for less.

I think he is just making a big issue of it. Anything could have been better if that or this happened.

But it's not anyone's fault. The big franchises need time. Lots of it. They have to live up to the popularity of the previous installments.

Neither could MS release a Halo3 during 360's launch or PS3's to counterattack, and neither can other developers have their big franchises ready at PS3's launch.

But still he didnt comment on PS3's launch and how it will impact as it is, he commented how it could have been if the supposedly anticipated GT or other franchises were released on it in november, avoiding the possibility of some of the new titles being as good enough at launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nesh said:
I think he is just making a big issue of it. Anything could have been better if that or this happened.

But it's not anyone's fault. The big franchises need time. Lots of it. They have to live up the popularity of the previous installments.

Neither could MS release a Halo3 during 360's launch or PS3's to counterattack, and neither can other developers have their big franchises ready at PS3's launch.

But still he didnt comment on PS3's launch and how it will impact as it is, he commented how it could have been if GT for example was released on it.

Agreed - he dodged the question - but in my opinion :) he brings up a good point with questioning how tempting ps3 is at this point with that launch library.

Thats the real aim of the question/statement that the interviewer was going for. something along the lines of:
"The perception is, ps3 is an impending avalanch. What are you doing to make sure you don't get buried in the snow?"

While some(most) dissagree with me, I think they will have issues WRT selling ps3 at those pricepoints and that launch library.

edit - Above statement in the context of a competitive market.

Nesh said:

Huh ??? 3 out of 4 people I know with PS2s (my self included) bought the PS2 for GT3. And only one is a real petrolhead.

Nesh said:

It was released six months ago. IMO, Oblivion and GRAW are significant improvements on the release titles.

Cheers

Gubbi said:
Huh ??? 3 out of 4 people I know with PS2s (my self included) bought the PS2 for GT3. And only one is a real petrolhead.

You misunderstood. I didnt mean people arent anticipating for the next GT. I ment that people feel like they can wait.

It was released six months ago. IMO, Oblivion and GRAW are significant improvements on the release titles.

Cheers
"it still hasnt shown the expected dramatic improvement I was waiting for although some very good titles did appear."
;)

Right about the six months. I lost the timeframe

Nesh said:
You misunderstood. I didnt mean people arent anticipating for the next GT. I ment that people feel like they can wait.

So you agree that waiting to purchase ps3 until 6mo-1year from launch makes sense for the library or am I misunderstanding your post?

Nesh said:

They'll wait until GT5 or Forza 2 is released, then buy the console that is needed to run it.

Nesh said:
"it still hasnt shown the expected dramatic improvement I was waiting for although some very good titles did appear."

So what *are* you waiting for ? Halo 3 ? GOW ?

Cheers

If by Halo 3 and GOW, you mean the second coming.... then I think you guessed right.

I'm fine with games and how they've advanced since launch. This kind of dry period is no good, though. Additionally, I'd like to see more XBLA games that aren't so much simple flash games or retro games, but more along the lines of games you'll go down to your local retail store to pick up the box for . Though obviously cheaper to produce, downloadable, and far smaller in size. But not smaller in heart! Roboblitz looks interesting, but like the other interesting ones, isn't going to be here for a while. (I think, though I don't check release calendars often) Things understandable take time. But I'm finding myself more than slightly impatient in that regard. Feels much like the DS--at least for me.

OT.... got nothing. :???:

LOL at the interview. I guess you can't expect him to say much else.

Only two statements in there seemed worth saying. One is that Sony has massive brand loyalty. There's no messing with the Playstation franchise. They will sell no matter what. The other is that software will define games. Only I think he overestimates the power of MS dev tools and underestimates the power of hardcore PS devs and artists.

Regarding Blu-Ray, there's no question it's an advantage for PS3. However, I don't think it's a big advantage, and you're not gonna see anything resembling N64 vs PS1.

It's a reasonably good MS PR piece. Personally I feel that his BR ("DVD player") discussion is misdirected. I'm not too concerned about whether BR will catch on or not since it's also a game media. People can argue that BR is too big for next-gen games, I don't really care at this moment since none of us are credible enough to comment except the developers themselves (like Square-Enix).

As he mentioned, content will define next-gen more so than just hardware supremacy.

+ BR will bring HD content such as sharper pr0n and hollywood movies to those who care (Ahem !).

+ Besides proven franchises, the new PS3 games (e.g., Heavenly Sword, Resistance, Naughty Dog's new franchise) may also bring surprises. Putting them down this early is unjustified. It's like ignoring Gears of War, Mass Effect on Xbox360 despite good showing so far. I find these unknown titles refreshing (Nariko's hair and flowing dress, Afrika's realistic animals); different from aliens, zombies and bald men. If one is not inspired, just wait 1 year to decide whether to buy. No big deal.

+ My PS2 games remain playable on PS3

+ From various leaks, it seems that some PS3 casual/arcade games will also be available online (although I am less interested in these).

+ Linux homebrew, which has been discussed a few times by Sony execs now, will encourage indie software proliferation (like PSP homebrew !).

+ Remote TV content is supposedly available via PS3 "Location Free" server

+ Finally, there are also rumored member-generated content such as family photos and videos accessible over PS3. If this is confirmed true, I'll be jumping for joy since this is exactly what I need (to post my baby boy's pictures and videos online for free so that my parents in another country can download them).

My only concern is whether Sony can deliver all these in a stable state. I left out Sony Connect because I bought all my songs from iTunes, and Connect sucks. MS's benefits for me are price point, availability and a proven Live. Unfortunately, I'm still not willing to pay for any form of Live subscription, the current games are not attractive enough for me to buy XBox360 now, plus I am still iffy about its scratched disk policy. So I'm still a last-gen guy.

TheChefO said:
So you agree that waiting to purchase ps3 until 6mo-1year from launch makes sense for the library or am I misunderstanding your post?

My point is that people can wait for GT but some new titles may be interesting and good enough for them to purchase the PS3 now until the next GT is released.

Or are you trying to say that GT is the only game that can sell the PS3 during launch?

Gubbi said:
They'll wait until GT5 or Forza 2 is released, then buy the console that is needed to run it.

So what *are* you waiting for ? Halo 3 ? GOW ?

Cheers
"Its not like 360 launched with super powerful franchises either and despite that it has been released almost half a year(corrected) ago, it still hasnt shown the expected dramatic improvement I was waiting for although some very good titles did appear."

Halo3 release date: TBA 2007

GOW release date: TBA 2006

Nesh said:
My point is that people can wait for GT but some new titles may be interesting and good enough for them to purchase the PS3 now until the next GT is released.

Or are you trying to say that GT is the only game that can sell the PS3 during launch?

"Its not like 360 launched with super powerful franchises either and despite that it has been released almost half a year(corrected) ago, it still hasnt shown the expected dramatic improvement I was waiting for although some very good titles did appear."

Halo3 release date: TBA 2007

GOW release date: TBA 2006

Nesh - I'm not sure whether or not there is a "system seller" in their launch library, but in the light of what most would consider an expensive console, it would behoove them to ensure a "must have" upon launching ps3.

By waiting a year to make a purchase decision given the potential price drop and what should be a more tempting library and some clarity on the hd movie standard, it seems to be the most logical move.

Why do people get angry over these PR statements from either company?

They never make me angry in the least. What do you expect each company to say? That the other's product is great?

Yet, I bet there's no dearth of replies of how "arrogant" sony or MS is whenever somebody posts these interviews.

For me, it doesn't anger me in the least.

sonyps35 said:
Why do people get angry over these PR statements from either company?

They never make me angry in the least. What do you expect each company to say? That the other's product is great?

Yet, I bet there's no dearth of replies of how "arrogant" sony or MS is whenever somebody posts these interviews.

For me, it doesn't anger me in the least.

Agreed - we should be able to discuss them in a civil manor. Which I'd say for the most part this thread has lived up to. Although some PR people can be quite arrogant, discussing the person is different than discussing their views.

Same old same old. Continue to play up Blu-ray as "forced technology" while developers probably would have implored MS to include such technology if they were in a position to do so.

Are you sure? MS claims when they polled, devs were more concerned about read speed than size.

But what more do we expect? They have to play up that angle, no one likes to feel they're missing out on something, so anything more offered by someone else is dubbed extraneous.

Put yourself in my shoes Titanio. I bought a X360 on 11/22.

Now, apparantly the HD-DVD add-on is $199, this fall.

That's great for me. Sure overall, it adds up to the cost of a PS3 anyway, but it sure doesn't feel like it since the purchases are a year apart.

It's pretty much great, from my point of view. I will probably buy one. It'll be nifty. At 199 why not, it's an impulse purchase. It's almost DVD player level. And if I dont want it because I'm not interested in HD movies, or dont want to spend the money at that time, it's my choice.

The whole "choice" thing can be a smokescreen, but in this case it holds very true.

I would say the one bummer about the whole deal is, the format war, the possibility of buying that HD-DVD and, and it loses the format war and becomes useless eventually. But then again, you're not out a whole lot at 199.

Now, if you're arguing over the point of larger storage for GAMES, fine, I guess, but I happen to be squarely in the, it's not going to be a huge deal camp. Except maybe for Squaresoft lol. But sure, Sony does have that advantage, and it's nice.

I also agree the Sony lineup is kind of lacking. They have a lot of big guns but none are going to be there at launch. People are trying to get excited over games like Motorstorm and Resistance, to me those are the same type of filler that occupied most of the 360 launch lineup. Contrasted with Nintendo, who has all their big guns. They dont even have the great looking, if not famous, Heavenly Sword at launch (Do they? I thought they didn't but not entirely sure).

Meh, I dont think Sony has ever had the really big launch lineup though..

MS has nothing to counter the PS3 launch

Sure they do..Gears of War..it's arguably the best looking game on any system, and it'll be hitting right in time to shift hardware for the Holidays. Anyways, it's very difficult to compete with a opposing hardware launch, just as if Sony was trying to counter a new Xbox..in terms of thrill new hardware will always trump new software.

Gears wont take the spotlight away from PS3, but it could help a lower priced, perhaps more avialable 360 sell toe to toe with it in that holiday frame.

TheChefO said:
Nesh - I'm not sure whether or not there is a "system seller" in their launch library, but in the light of what most would consider an expensive console, it would behoove them to ensure a "must have" upon launching ps3.
Do they really need a system seller for the first six months? They'll sell every one they can make.

MS was stupid to sell XB360 at a loss early on, because demand was insane. They could have also pretended that their system is worth more when the PS3 launches also. I'm sure half of the percieved superiority of PS3 will be from it's higher price. That happens with all consumer electronics.

Mintmaster said:
Do they really need a system seller for the first six months? They'll sell every one they can make.

MS was stupid to sell XB360 at a loss early on, because demand was insane. They could have also pretended that their system is worth more when the PS3 launches also. I'm sure half of the percieved superiority of PS3 will be from it's higher price. That happens with all consumer electronics.

I wouldn't bank on them "selling everyone they can make". They may, I wouldn't die of a heart attack from shock if they did, but I also wouldn't be surprised if people choose to put their money elsewhere at this point.

Something to consider: how many people have witnessed the 360 Ebay craze and are going into their local shopes inquiring about ps3 preorder for that very purpose?

Back