Microsoft’s Regional Director Rips Blu-Ray Questions Sony's Strategy

TheChefO said:
Sure it's his opinion but it isn't just pulled out of thin air. It is based in fact. What games do they intend to release before the end of the year that you all are interested in at this point that really sell you the system?

I didnt know people were eagerly expecting for Gran Turismo at launch. I dont know where he got that assumption.

He did pull that out of thin air actually.

Nesh said:
It didnt know people were eagerly expecting for Gran Turismo at launch. I dont know where he got that assumption.

He did pull that out of thin air actually.

I thought that was a popular franchise on ps2. Didn't it sell in the millions?

TheChefO said:
True it isn't an ideal response especially for me as a 360 owner. I would have liked him to say "halo3 is coming along faster than expected and will be here when they launch ps3", but he's justified in questioning their launch lineup and how it will play into affect in conjunction with their higher pricepoint to gamers
they certainly don't need Halo 3 until next year (2007) when PS3 actually has product on the shelves after the intitial couple months of sell out and shortages.

MS has a staunch line up this fall/winter which will compare more than favorably to anything else on the shelf at that time.

Actually I expect a Spring 2007 price drop followed in the fall/winter 2007 with Halo 3.

TheChefO said:
Yes the fact that they don't at this point have a major franchise penned for launch. While some may be interested in the games they do have at launch, I would say that it is difficult to sell the concept of ps3 to gamers

I'm sorry, but I think that's nonsense. You don't need "major franchises" to sell a system at launch to gamers. Halo was not a major franchise when it launched with Xbox, for example, and it more than served those who played it. And if they had too many established franchises, people would be complaining about the lack of original games! That's not to speak for what third parties might bring either (and it's not quite true in Europe as far as Sony is concerned at least, with Singstar being at launch - that is a big franchise for Sony here now, albeit a fairly new one).

Tap In said:
they certainly don't need Halo 3 until next year (2007) when PS3 actually has product on the shelves after the intitial couple months of sell out and shortages.

MS has a staunch line up this fall/winter which will compare more than favorably to anything else on the shelf at that time.

Actually I expect a Spring 2007 price drop followed in the fall/winter 2007 with Halo 3.

I agree a "system mover" isn't necessary until MS has more supply than demand but they should watch that carefully over the course of the next year or two because their window of opportunity to gain marketshare/mindshare is very slim.

TheChefO said:
True it isn't an ideal response especially for me as a 360 owner. I would have liked him to say "halo3 is coming along faster than expected and will be here when they launch ps3", but he's justified in questioning their launch lineup and how it will play into effect in conjunction with their higher pricepoint to gamers.

But that does not answer the question:
Q: What does Microsoft have in place to counter the PlayStation 3 launch?

He didn't ask: "What do you think of PS3's launch and game lineup?"

The interviewer was asking a question of how MS would prepare for the PS3 launch. He didn't even deflect the question, he totally went off on a tangent. So you can't even draw the conclusion that they have a plan, just not willing to reveal it. They just simply don't have a plan at all.

I have a feeling MS will just take the launch in stride as there's very little one can do for a launch of 2 major consoles.

drpepper said:
I have a feeling MS will just take the launch in stride as there's very little one can do for a launch of 2 major consoles.

exactly, but it's more a matter of "there is nothing needed" to do to counter the launch.
It's realy a non-issue.

Sony will sell out at launch and will most likely be hard to come by during the holiday season.

the launch and no doubt unmet demand will do nothing but drive overflow (not the Sony hard-core) holiday shoppers to X360 as it will be sitting pretty on the shelf.

I think his non-answer speaks more to that point IMO.

Titanio said:
I'm sorry, but I think that's nonsense. You don't need "major franchises" to sell a system at launch to gamers. Halo was not a major franchise when it launched with Xbox, for example, and it more than served those who played it. And if they had too many established franchises, people would be complaining about the lack of original games! That's not to speak for what third parties might bring either (and it's not quite true in Europe as far as Sony is concerned at least, with Singstar being at launch - that is a big franchise for Sony here now, albeit a fairly new one).

Well let me give you an example - if Sony would have made God of War2 exclusive on ps3 and had it available for launch, I know more than a handful of people who would have seriously considered ps3 even with the higher price point. As it is there's just a bunch of unknowns. Not to say they'll be bad, just that without a major franchise there isn't as much anticipation.

WRT Halo - I STRONGLY disagree. That game was the reason I bought Xbox on day one. It had my interest years before when it was coming to pc and I think anyone who was following the games market saw Halo as a potential great game and technical showpiece.

drpepper said:

Well, exactly. The point here is twofold.. first, he didn't answer the question. Second, it really is a stupid question, no matter how many times its asked and discussed on message boards.

As has been noted already, the PS3 is going to sell at launch regardless of price and lack of games because demand will be greater than supply.

MS rushing Halo3 and getting it on the shelves isn't going to prevent that. MS rushing Halo3 and dropping the price of the 360 isn't going to prevent that.

So essentially, there's nothing that MS can do to counter the PS3 launch. Nothing MS can do is going to lower demand for the PS3. They can only increase demand for the 360, but because supply will be limited of the PS3, it's still going to sell even in the face of increased demand for the 360.

It really is a stupid question when you think about.

TheChefO said:
Well let me give you an example - if Sony would have made God of War2 exclusive on ps3 and had it available for launch, I know more than a handful of people who would have seriously considered ps3 even with the higher price point. As it is there's just a bunch of unknowns. Not to say they'll be bad, just that without a major franchise there isn't as much anticipation.

I think the point is, even if these people now decide not to buy it, someone else will step in in 0.2 seconds and buy it instead.

If there's any impact to not having a good launch lineup, it's that fence sitters say 'fuggit' and buy a 360 or Wii.

TheChefO said:
I thought that was a popular franchise on ps2. Didn't it sell in the millions?
Ahm yeah. So?

Isnt Polyphony Digital working on a new GT for PS3? Did I miss something?

TheChefO said:

WRT Halo - I STRONGLY disagree. That game was the reason I bought Xbox on day one. It had my interest years before when it was coming to pc and I think anyone who was following the games market saw Halo as a potential great game and technical showpiece.

It was not a major franchise. It was born at Xbox's launch. You never know with these games how they will turn out until you launch. This is true of every game, actually, and true of all the "unknowns" at PS3's launch. I agree it can be difficult to know what to expect with original games that are of an unknown quantity, but ultimately that they are new would not prevent them from going on to establish a launch as excellent if the quality is there. We'll have a better idea of the new games by the time launch arrives also.

drpepper said:
But that does not answer the question:
Q: What does Microsoft have in place to counter the PlayStation 3 launch?

He didn't ask: "What do you think of PS3's launch and game lineup?"

The interviewer was asking a question of how MS would prepare for the PS3 launch. He didn't even deflect the question, he totally went off on a tangent. So you can't even draw the conclusion that they have a plan, just not willing to reveal it. They just simply don't have a plan at all.

Well obviously PR isn't going to say "gee you got me ... umm ... hmm". I think at this point hes hoping a few games get polished to the point of system seller before the end of the year so they can focus their attention on this small subset of games and drive them home. But at the moment its too far away to say "Too Human is going to be our answer, when people see/play this they will forget what playstation means" or something crazy to that effect. Point is I don't think he can confidently say what games they will use to combat a ps3 onslaught.

The other thing is like others have pointed out - the hype of two new machines coming will be big. The biggest thing they can do to combat both of them is to keep mindshare growing.

For him or anyone else to say that about Halo3 at this point would mean only one thing: it's being rushed, ET style!

That's the last thing you should want to hear!

I believe Gears of War the big game microsoft has planned for the fall. That and Too Human. Ironically, Viva Pinata could be the biggest thing they have. If the tv show works out, it could be Pokeman huge.

Note: microsoft also has this summer for themselves. Which means next gen madden sales are exclusive for them.

TheChefO said:
True it isn't an ideal response especially for me as a 360 owner. I would have liked him to say "halo3 is coming along faster than expected and will be here when they launch ps3", but he's justified in questioning their launch lineup and how it will play into effect in conjunction with their higher pricepoint to gamers.

I've always wondered what the whole point of Gran Turismo HD, if it's not a launch title.

How different will GT HD look from GT4 in backwards compatibility mode on a ps3?

Bad_Boy said:
Since when was GT ever at launch?

scooby_dooby said:
I think the point is, even if these people now decide not to buy it, someone else will step in in 0.2 seconds and buy it instead.

If there's any impact to not having a good launch lineup, it's that fence sitters say 'fuggit' and buy a 360 or Wii.

exactly - All MS can control and all they care about are getting people to "jump in" to the 360 camp and grow that user base as much as possible. Whether they get these people who are left on the sidelines without a ps3 or not is kinda irrelevant (although I'm sure MS would prefer them).

Nesh said:
Ahm yeah. So?

Isnt Polyphony Digital working on a new GT for PS3? Did I miss something?

No I was saying (and I think his point was) that if they were launching with a new GT then it would spur more people to fork over the cash for ps3 instead of perhaps taking a wait and see attitude.

Back