MGS4 walkthrough questions

patsu

Legend
Grrr... The previous thread was closed because we ended up talking about CG differences (I think). Have a question for Ostepop.

Im pretty sure chaff grenades work.

Anyways, you can shot the Gekko and not get an alert, if you use silencers and hide a bit. Just time your runs, or disable the gekkos by a few well placed shots and sneak a round them. I managed to time my runs without getting spotted, then hid beneath some shop stands to the left at the last gekko. Took out a chaff grenade, threw it, and ran past without alerts .

Hmm... I lobed 2 chaffs against the Gekkos in Act 4. One of them literally kicked me in the nuts. I need to try again

As for other posts who claimed that I played the game more thoroughly... that's not the case. After reading assorted forum posts, I played them in my mind first. When I find the time to replay the game for real, I would already know what to do. To date, I have only replayed MGS4 twice... for but Act 4 and 5, I replayed them 6 times already :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat little trick I just discovered. Gekkos and Scouts have parts on them that are affected by tranq darts (namely the legs on the Gekko). Its hilarious to take down a Gekko with the little .22 tranquilizer. As you hit their legs, you'll see their stamina gauge drain. Once it reaches 0, they fall, and you can walk right be them w/o any alerts.

On my 2nd play-through, when going for the AC uniform and Solar Gun (kind of contradictory goals, but actually work well together), I focused far more on stealth. I was quite impressed by just how much you could do with the little tranq gun and some CQC.

Hmm... I lobed 2 chaffs against the Gekkos in Act 4. One of them literally kicked me in the nuts. I need to try again

It could be that the Gekko was turned away when i ran past him and maybe the grenade didn't work at all, but it seemed to work.

To date, I have only replayed MGS4 twice... for but Act 4 and 5, I replayed them 6 times already :D

That's almost twice the time I have spent on the game :) Just finished the first B&B battle...
Between RL and Age of Conan I don't have the time... And I feel kind of guilty about it:oops:

I started the game again, this time onBig Boss hard, but did not recieve my stuff from the previous playthrough when I recieved MK II !
Is it that if I restart on the same difficulty level only then i get the previous gear?

I just finished the Crying Wolf fight, best boss fight that I can recall playing. The open-ended nature and large scale was awesome.

How did you deal with Crying Wolf ?
I know people have tried the following approaches successfully:

* Hide underneath the tank: Time consuming but extremely easy

* Go up the 2 towers and snipe/RPG her: The FROGs are a nuisance, but trying to catch Crying Wolf off guard in the dark is awesome.

* Someone hid near the exit (of the level) and was able to snipe her to death. There were fewer FROGs to deal with too. I was surprised someone was gutsy enough to remain at the ground level. According to him, if you can hit Crying Wolf fast enough, she'd break off her charge and run away.

I kind of stumbled through like this:

First I was under the tank sniping the frogs, until I realized my position was missing most of the action that was out of my view.

I then went towards the towers and went up there to finish off the frogs. I used the grenade launcher on Crying Wolf when she was nearby, I rarely got a good shot on here when she was rail gunning me. Finally I went to ground level and grabbed stuff and tried to get her to come nearby for my M60, that didn't work. I went back the tower for a finishing shot.

I did use the tranq gun to finish her in the final scene to get the bonus mask.

I'm also playing on the second to easiest level, I'm a MGS noob.

Well... I am a MGS noob too. I am still skeptical of the last approach (That's why I asked).
If one stayed in the open at the ground level, I'd have thought Crying Wolf would railgun him to death and then run over his corpse a few times :)

Crying Wolf uses your smell to hunt you, according to Otocan. He says to stay downwind of her. I haven't used this tactic to fight her yet though, but I thought you all might be interested. Would probably make for an interesting battle, as you would have to remain mobile, since the wind direction changes pretty dramatically.

For Crying Wolf, I
climbed to the top of the second tower - made it easier to deal with FROGS and I just had to wait until the wind moved so that she'd move into distance. A little warning, if you choose to do this - the RAIL gun she uses takes out chunks of the tower, so the floor your standing on (or lying on if your a sniper like myself :) ) can disappear and /fall to death ensues

You can always tell an awesome boss fight if four people attack it (with success) in four different ways

:)

Jack

Personally while the fight starts I move to the left and move along the edge of the area while taking the frogs out with the MK22. In other words I move clockwise around the area. Once I find her I either shoot her with my sniper+silencer three times (or use the rail gun). The rail gun takes much more health than the sniper shots. The downside is that it produces sound and takes some time to fully charge.

Once I hit her I look at the direction she moves towards to and try to follow her moving clockwise or anticlockwise(depending on her direction) around the stage and repeat.

In case she runs towards me I use a grenade launcher to stop her

I know people have tried the following approaches successfully:

* Hide underneath the tank: Time consuming but extremely easy

* Go up the 2 towers and snipe/RPG her: The FROGs are a nuisance, but trying to catch Crying Wolf off guard in the dark is awesome.

* Someone hid near the exit (of the level) and was able to snipe her to death. There were fewer FROGs to deal with too. I was surprised someone was gutsy enough to remain at the ground level. According to him, if you can hit Crying Wolf fast enough, she'd break off her charge and run away.

After several failed atempts on the ground and in the tower I finally went with the #1. As you say, time consuming but effective.

Well... I am a MGS noob too. I am still skeptical of the last approach (That's why I asked).
If one stayed in the open at the ground level, I'd have thought Crying Wolf would railgun him to death and then run over his corpse a few times :)

As one noob to another, yes my dying corpse was pummeled down there. :LOL:

Under the tank. Hit her with a sniper rifle. It takes a while, but job done. Come back afterwards for a different game!

I was playing big boss hard and my first playthroug took 27hours and then some.

Crying wolf
I Went to left from the starting point behind the box, There is fallen tree next to the box. I gunned the nereby froggs. Next I inserted claymor mines to block the entrances behind box.

After securing the position sniped froggs and crying wolf. When wolf trys to attack you running she hits claymore mine and gets stunned. Then some RPG to her and new claymore mine. Super easy and time consuming.
did it the easy way for first playthrough as I was more interested about knowing rest of the story than having super fun sniping match. Next playthrough I will try something more exiting.

I got insanely frustrated for the beginning of act5. It was easily the most frustrating part for me as I didn't get it in the first 15+ tries.
I didn't notice all the froggs next to gekkos and always caused alert. It became easy once I noticed there is one additional frogg high up. After killing/stunnin all froggs one can railgun the gekkos without causing alarm and that is a piece of cake. Also using the camouflage mask is needed to stay (more easily) out of sight.

Good game but not the best mgs for me. I found the bosses to be pretty dull compared to earlier incarnations(fatman, vamp fights from mgs2, the end from mgs3, etc). Also the levels were somewhat boring and weren't as brilliant as in earlier games. MGS4 was much more epic with locations all over the world and it was good to get the answers to open questions. So 9+ game for me personally and one of the better experiencs in ps3 gaming.

I can easily see how those who haven't played through or read previous metal gear solid transcripts would be totally lost and think this game is just plain average "shooter". Also I can see that those who hated mgs earlier would feel pretty much the same way for mgs4. For me I can see several playthroughs with different tactics and having loads of fun even after the initial playthrough.

I need to get a dualshock3 before starting the next playthrough for mgs4.

edit. Oh and what ostepop was saying about tha AI in mgs4 - I agree. AI is still stupid. It's almost like AI has not been upped at all from previous metal gears. Not so next gen feeling when playing. Perhaps that was a conscious choice for AI to keep the old metal gear feel?

I got the Big Boss emblem and I didnt get anything in the trophies!!! God Damn it!! Does that mean I ll have to play it over from the beginning to get an accomplishment?

MGS4 doesn't have trophy support yet? You'll need to wait for the patch (assuming that it does come at some point, though they could wait for Home maybe) and then you'll need to replay the game, because Trophies aren't retrofitted to prevent savegame cheats.

Back