Merry Christmas!

I got Shogun 2, a bunch of cookbooks, the 2x 580s in my sig (12 days ago) and some monitors for multi-monitor gaming (my wife rocks).

Good god, yes she does. My wife would stomp those two 580s into inoperability in no time. ;)

I just opened the 2nd edition Game of Thrones board game, complete with 30-page rulebook; whatever happened to the days of Risk and Monopoly? Also got some Amazon gift cards, which will be put to good use. And I've been buying myself some additional games on Steam, such as Rage (which I'm enjoying quite a bit so far).

Merry Christmas all.

Edit: The Shogun 2 mention made me check Steam, I was a few DLCs behind and there's a new one coming in March.

Last edited by a moderator:
ooo - whatcha get?

I got a 2012 Subaru Legacy GT, the one with he turbo engine. Very nice car all around. Handling is decent, a lot better than the Prius I had before and muchly thanked by the AWD. Speed is a little meh especially the top end, thing dies out at like 115 MPH. More boost could help with that, but it's the gearing it looks like. Acceleration is by far better than the Prius, I can now go up a hill in San Francisco faster than I can walking it, which is always nice. Shifts really nice! The thing says 25 MPH on the highway, I call BS on that one cause I'm getting 28 MPG driving it normally, and 25 driving it fairly aggressive. 22 average in the city. If I take it up to Twin Peaks and reset the MPG counter I get 15 MPG, but it ends up 25 ish by the time descend back down. Stopping and starting are fairly easy, and I feel firmly in control when letting off the clutch and giving it gas on a steep grade, well not too steep. Two thumbs up, awesome car. Not really flashy, which is how I like it for a beater, but still pretty to look at.

My old daily was a Prius, and that car is really good on gas, thanks to being a hybrid, but that also means it was really slow. So my gas bill is likely to double, but that's ok.

I got the full box sets of "24" and "Lost" from my parents, four new Höganäs tea cups, two new exercising pants and two simple cotton T-shirts to go with them, and an electric toothbrush. :)

My dad also cooked some really delicious christmas food (his swedish meatballs are divine), he also made fantastic gingerbread cookies, lussekatter, and an assortment of other christmas cookies. It was verily yum to eat.

My old daily was a Prius, and that car is really good on gas, thanks to being a hybrid, but that also means it was really slow. So my gas bill is likely to double, but that's ok.

That does not necessarily follow. Hybrids can be very fast. The prius just isn't (11s 0-60) :). Anyway if your are beating the mileage of the EPA estimate you are driving more carefully than average most likely. The change in 2008 ratings was supposed to bring them in line with average drivers as before the ratings were wildly optimistic for most drivers. If those who were enamored with fast cars also wanted hybrids eventually the market would develop.

I got a remote seatpost for my mountain bike btw (so I can change the height while I ride by flipping the trigger on the handlebar):) If only I had time to ride it.

If those who were enamored with fast cars also wanted hybrids eventually the market would develop.

Porsche 918 Spyder, I know I'd love one.

However, gas mileage is always about how you drive the car, the Prius doesn't give you a lot of options in that regard. This Porsche might be able to achieve good mileage, but I'm not sure you'll see many demonstrations of that in reality.

Back