Merril Lynch estimates $399 PS3 pricetag. $494 to produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
scooby_dooby said:
I think it freakin blows, not that it's official but if it is around that mark, I'm up in Canada, so I'm looking at what like $550???

If it's $399 in the US, it won't be north of C$499 in Canada. That's a reasonable early-adopter price for a blue-ray player, but kinda steep for a console that needs to gain mass adoption to be profitable. If I were a product planner at EA or Sqenix, I'd be hedging my Sony bets.

its funny that dispite not being the most powerfull or having the most games the gamecube was able to sell almost as many units as the xbox even though the xbox cost more to make and lost hundreds of million for ms while the gamecube made hundreds of million for nintendo .

Of course price matters but its a difficult juggling game

Qroach said:
I think everyone here will agreethat the ps3 will cost more than the x360.

well, all except one. :?:

Hey, it´s Mr. "Look at my sources! Oh, just try to ignore the fact that they are not very reliable for the matter at hand! BELIEVE ME!!!!!!!" :D

Go do something else if you don´t have anything to contribute, mmmk?

jvd said:
To who ? In the pc sector most video cards are priced at 500$ for less than the first year . Why would it be diffrent ? Besides from that ms doesn't have to drop the price just by itself . They can do other things like lower the price through sales . Have bestbuy and kmart and walmart have sales on it where the product is cheaper than normal . It doesn't have to be a strait price drop like in years past

The market is different. Why did you think GCN wasn´t favoured by the market? Instead of being seen as a steal in terms of price:value ratio, it was even thought of as less powerfull and valuable than PS2. I believe that is because in the console market, price is one of the biggest indicators of value.

Traditionally, consoles stay at their introduction price point a couple of years, at least in the NA market, so I don´t believe a price cut would be favorable to public perception of the X360. The hardcore population will make known that they bought it at $300 just a couple months ago and that this the thing is decreasing in value, fast.

The sale strategy is solid, but I question how widespread it can be and how much it can last. If you offer it in a limited fashion, your ability to maximize sales drops. If you limit the sale, stores that aren´t offering it will suffer that fact and the sales surge won´t seem as great. The same will happen if the sale isn´t on for a sufficient time period. It´s tricky too, if it extends for too long, it will just seem like the standard price and the impact is gone.

I believe that is wrong .

AFAIK, they´re very similar in size. I don´t remember the exact figure, but the difference was in the region of 10% of difference.

The gpu is in two parts . Its not 1 gpu. The gpu is made up of two diffrent parts that are later combined. So the yield of the xenos will be higher than if it was one part .

I see your point, and sure, that should provide an advantage. Still, how expensive to manufacture will the eDRAM block be?

busses scale slower in price than ram speeds. That is why dispite 4 years of 256 bit busses in the high end they haven't filtered sub 200$ yet and even then at the 200$ price point its normal cards that are being phased out . It adds alot in layers and production problems . The more layers and complex the pcb the more expensive it is .

I see. How many more busses are in PS3 than x360?

the 20 gig hardrive is very small and shouldn't be very expensive at all . 20 gigs on a 2.5inch drive format should be very cheap and so should 12 x dvd drives. Heck 16x dvd writers are very very cheap .

As for bluray i don't nkow the costs , all i know is it will be new and barely produced thus costing more than if it had been in production for awhile .

It´s a fixed cost, though, the HDD I mean. Its cost shouldn´t be neglible as MS was very hesitant on including it for a reason. If it were very cheap Sony would have no trouble announcing one themselves, don´t you think?

True, Blu Ray hasn´t been produced yet, AFAIK, but it will be, and in very big volumes, so I don´t see it being very costly. I doubt Sony would have included it if it had affected that much PS3´s budget.

And currently JVD Xbox outsells GC 2-1 with one hand tied behind it's back in the form of massively constrained supply.

If Xbox had solid supply, I'm sure it would be outselling PS2 right now, just as it did for the last half of 2004 before MS began pulling the rug out from under it this spring, more or less. Not bad for a console declared doomed on arrival 5 years ago by thousands of forum fanboys.

Yes price matters, but in consoles it's a lot less important than power. So is software.

The only way MS will be able to exploit a big price advantage is if the systems are pretty close to equal in power. If there's even a 20% difference, then I dont think even being priced a hundred lower will help MS.

By the way, it's a little known fact MS can remove the modular hard drive and sell a "base" SKU at some point. Although it wont be at launch.

The recent interview specifically confirmed that no X360 games will need the HD to run.

gosh said:
And currently JVD Xbox outsells GC 2-1 with one hand tied behind it's back in the form of massively constrained supply.

If Xbox had solid supply, I'm sure it would be outselling PS2 right now, just as it did for the last half of 2004 before MS began pulling the rug out from under it this spring, more or less. Not bad for a console declared doomed on arrival 5 years ago by thousands of forum fanboys.

There´s no shortage of Xbox reported as of right now, so I´m not sure what you are talking about.

Xbox´s last holyday season was an anomaly. Heck, even GCN sold almost as much as PS2 and Xbox. The current sales are normal and expected IMO.

By the way, it's a little known fact MS can remove the modular hard drive and sell a "base" SKU at some point. Although it wont be at launch.

The recent interview specifically confirmed that no X360 games will need the HD to run.

That´s strange. Games like Oblivion WILL use the HDD, AFAIK. If you remove it´s status as a necessity, aren´t you throwing your advantage out of the window?

The reason Gamecub didn't do well had nothing to do with price drops or "impressions"

It was GAMES.

There is no comparison here, not only will PS3 and X360 share the vast majority of their titles, but MS is lining up exclusives like nobody's business.

There is no comparison to Gamecube, not even remotely in the same ballpark.

Consumers are not as braindead sa you guys seem to think. If the graphics are the same, and the game selection is equal or better, they will buy the cheaper console.

Almasy,

Go do something else if you don´t have anything to contribute, mmmk?

Arguing with one that won't listen is purely a waste of time. you seem to think you know more about the game industry then others so... and don't tell me about contributing to threads. Thanks.

gosh said:

That's really stupid imo. That completely defeats the purpose of including the harddrive in the first place which is to get developer support.

Was it an anomaly that Xbox routinely was the only console that raised hardware sales for like, all of 2004?

You would see month vs year previous month comparsions like

PS2=-29%
GC=-35%
Xbox=+55%

Go do some research please.

Qroach said:
Almasy,

Arguing with one that won't listen is purely a waste of time. you seem to think you know more about the game industry then others so... and don't tell me about contributing to threads. Thanks.

Right back at you, my confidence deprived friend. Why not make something even more usefull and post what your source say about Nintendo´s Revolution right now?

Afterall, the game development community is incredibly tiny, MINISCULE, so he´s GOT to know what Nintendo is doing. :p

"The reason Gamecub didn't do well had nothing to do with price drops or "impressions"

It was GAMES."

Yes that's right. Upon release, Gamecube had all the famous games, as well as all the third party games Xbox did. Xbox had no established franchises. The games advantage was 110% in Gamecubes favor. No question at all.

Right back at you, my confidence deprived friend. Why not make something even more usefull and post what your source say about Nintendo´s Revolution right now?

Afterall, the game development community is incredibly tiny, MINISCULE, so he´s GOT to know what Nintendo is doing.

you don't know what you are talking about. Do us a favor, quit playing the fool and going off topic eh? thanks...

gosh said:
Was it an anomaly that Xbox routinely was the only console that raised hardware sales for like, all of 2004?

You would see month vs year previous month comparsions like

PS2=-29%
GC=-35%
Xbox=+55%

Go do some research please.

Why not include 2005´s figures? And where is this reported massive shortage you talk about? PS2 keeps selling at least twice the ammount Xbox does, with no shortages, for the entire year - if the last holyday season wasn´t an anomaly, why is this happening? An unexistent shortage?

I really don't expect the PS3 to debut at $399 in North America nor do I expect MS to instigate immediate price wars. I expect MS to be livin' in the black while Sony eats it. Then, maybe in Spring/Summer '07, MS will lead off the pricing wars to hurt Sony.

The article, to me, just confirms that MS is in the driver's seat about pricing. We've known this to be case for some time, though. MS can choose to eat the loss and put a hurt on Sony or lose less (maybe even turn a profit) and parallel Sony.

Gosh - Are you just trying to argue for the sake of arguing?

if Gamecube had the same titles as XBOX or PS2, and sold at $99 it would have DESTROYED both consoles.

What's your point?

Qroach said:
you don't know what you are talking about. Do us a favor, quit playing the fool and going off topic eh? thanks...

LOL, I don´t know, but wasn´t you the one who veered the thread off topic in the first place?

Anyway, ask him what Square is doing right now. He´s got to know, afterall, all the programmers live in the same building, don´t they? I think I´ve seen it, isn´t there a big sign that says "Appartments for the ENTIRE Game Industry Programmers" and is 3 stories high or so? :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back