Memories from the Time Machine

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
So we're in our new house, and as a result I'm unpacking boxes (after three moves) of stuff that I haven't looked at in ten months --and ten months ago I mostly just shovelled this crap into boxes without looking at it too closely. But this time I'm actually trying to find a logical home (tho this is often turning out to be the garbage bin) for this stuff. Because, you know, after you've hauled it 2,000 miles you want to immediately throw it away (okay, so the Project Management on this part of the move could have used some help, but generally we did quite well thank-you-very-much).

Yesterday and today I've been going thru a box of old parts, manuals, and invoices/receipts. Suprising myself how each is going poing! off my memories and causing some nostalgia. The really interesting part is how some of these things only a few years old already seem ancient and a million miles ago.

For instance I hauled out a Rage Fury and a Radeon LE (and promptly provided Wavey with scans for his chart). I suppose the Fury (1998) was worth a little nostalgia, but even so that was "only" seven years ago! The LE, I had to do a quick google to prompt my memory why the hell I had it. I'd remembered upgrading to a Radeon from the Fury, but forgotten the tricky way I'd done it. That was only 4 years ago. Brought back memories of ATI trying to differentiate cards just by registry settings (which of course the community handed them their ass in short order by undoing it), and back when ATI wouldn't even own up to clock settings in their documentation as they wanted to be able to fiddle with them at will without having any inconvenient official representations around to bother them with.

Then I ran across a Pentium 90 with no heatsink. Ah yes, my big upgrade from a P75. And an Intel "Overdrive" upgrade too came out of the box --remember those?

Loved this receipt dated 12/7/1996, less than 10 years ago: 1 16MB 72pin 60ns, non parity -- $79.00.

I'm too young to be an old fart but I'm feeling like one looking at this stuff. Good thing my Apple ][+ wasn't in this box.

Back