Mechanical keyboard appreciation thread

I loved typing on my Corsair Strafe RED so much, I bought an RGB to replace it and brought the RED into work. Luckily, I have my own office so nobody really has to hear me pounding away on the Cherry Brown's all day long.

It's such a superior typing experience than the garbage that most people have that simply came with their HP PC's we use in the office, or the sub $100 Logitech wireless keyboards some use (like me, before I brought in my Strafe).

As I think about the next changes to my collection, I couldn't agree more. That's really the whole reason I moved in this direction: quality switches and an excellent typing experience with them.

My beloved Velocifire VM01 fell victim to a stupid chair spin which knocked my Coke on my keyboard. I rinsed her off and let her dry for a number of days in a bag with moisture absorption packets, but when I tried her today it was hopeless.

Any good new cheapy illuminated mech keyboards out there? Not too picky about switch colour as long as they don't click...

Well i think i cumulate for neighbours ... cherry blue MX on my Keyboard, and my mice from Logitech, the G900 who have a mechanical click button sound who is nearly as loud ... ( but i will love that my keyboard have the same sound ( just a metalic precise click ... click )

“Clickiness” - The G900 is to the Mouse what Mechanical Switches are to the Keyboard
Subjectively, the G900 has one of the most resolute, definitive “clicks” we've experienced with a mouse. It is reminiscent of the first transitions to mechanical keyboards from membrane switches; there's a distinct, powerful click with a reliable actuation force and snappy return-to-ready. This is a result of the mechanical pivot button that Logitech deploys in its G900. Here is a mechanical documents to visually assist:

logitech-g900-switch-mech-1.png

The yellow circle in the above image is the fulcrum of the keyplate. Pressing the keyplate actuates the mechanical switch, which is pre-loaded with a spring that reduces actuation friction for a predictably resolute “click” with each use. The spring tensioning of the switch effectively eliminates application of sheer force to the “click element,” so to speak, as the switch is mounted at the same angle as the keyplate will depress. Eliminating sheer force creates the reliability and consistency of click actuation that sets the G900 apart. Compared against itself, the G900 has a production button force range of approximately 10gf (~55gf to ~65gf). This means that, between our review mouse and retail samples that any number of readers might buy, the gram-force requirement for button click should be more-or-less identical. Our experience will be similar to yours, resultant of the strict tolerances at the factory level.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2418-logitech-g900-chaos-spectrum-review-and-in-depth-analysis

Last edited:
Why would you want a loud click mouse? I like the feel/sound of the G700S a lot more.

Then again not everyone shares their computer rooms with their wives who go absolutely BONKERS if they type fast as hell and it's all clicky. :)

Why would you want a loud click mouse? I like the feel/sound of the G700S a lot more.

Then again not everyone shares their computer rooms with their wives who go absolutely BONKERS if they type fast as hell and it's all clicky. :)

it dont need to be loud, just clicky as hell.. honestly this mice have just an awesome click. I model with it ( Blender ), and i cant find words for replicate how it feel when you retopo a sculpt with it.

Yeah I love my G900, I just wish it had 2 more thumb buttons or that the thumb buttons were stacked vertically instead of horizontally. Because it doesn't there's still certain games where I use the G700 instead (the additional finger buttons also come in handy in some games).

Regards,
SB

I got a Das Keyboard 4 for work on Friday. Soooooo much nicer than what I had before (a HP keyboard). I went with the brown switches in an attempt to not drive everyone in the office mad. I knew I liked the Das Keyboards already, as I've got a Das Keyboard Model S at home already.

I recently went throw some boxes of old hardware and noted 30+ keyboards. Most of which were quite pricey!

I am now looking for a modern mechanical. No problems with the two(2) "Deck" brand keyboards I am using, they are traditional style keyboards and offer nothing more. I now want more functionality (ie: volume, mute, etc).

i got a new keyboard this one is a matias quiet click mini, its very nice. i think the blue switches while fun were just a bit too loud and after a while they started to grate on me. this one is just as clicky feeling without the noisy noise. it has a similar layout, without the numpad, but otherwise traditional styling as well.

feels good!

If anyone has a keyboard that is either remappable or auto loads different keybinds and its stopped working in the last few days
uninstalling the update (KB4034674) Solves it.

edit: to make this post more discoverable by google
zengine taskbar icon for zboard merc stays red and wont load mods

Last edited:
I just finished a new build and remembered that this thread exists, so I thought I'd share!

su8Ajyt.jpg

KBDfans TOFU65 case in grey + brass weight, TADA68 PCB, 67g V2 purple Zealios, R1 /dev/tty caps. It's delicious, easily the best thing I've ever typed on. I've got plans for at least 2 more builds in 2019, but probably more.

There's a link to some more pics of the build (which I screwed up, but fixed today!).

Back