Matt from Ign explains his thoughts on the Rev specs

Qroach

Veteran
I just saw this posted over at GAF. I'm not sure what the exact link is but I htink this was a forum or blog post possibly.

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=92702

"So we've posted an updated look at the Revolution specs and the message boards have collectively imploded. A quick browse through some threads shows that Nintendo fans are by and large in an uproar over the console's power. This is an unfortunate eventuality, and also one that stems mostly from a mentality that insists Nintendo is competing with Microsoft and Sony, which it isn't.

As could be predicted, a few stupidly devoted posters out there refuse to budge from their position that Nintendo can do no wrong, and have as a result launched a counter-attack against IGN or, even better, me. Some incredible douchebag on another forum even referred to me colorfully as "Assamassina," which I admit is a pretty cool handle; I have used it once or twice myself. This same person then called into question my credibility, saying that my track record speaks for itself. Indeed, it does. If you've read the Nintendo section of IGN for any amount of time, you know that we have our sources, we break stories, and far more often than not, our information is accurate. I don't need to defend myself beyond that.

These Revolution specs should come as no surprise to most people. Back in December we reported more or less the same thing without hard numbers. Let's move past that, though. Nintendo's own leaders have stated more times than can be counted that Revolution is not a console focused on horsepower. Its executives have flat-out dismissed the possibility of high-definition graphics on the system. When Revolution is the topic, three words keep coming up: small, quiet, affordable. Where does massive horsepower fit into this equation?

Even so, I want to be clear on the point that hardware specs rarely tell the full story. We listed Xbox's CPU and GPU speeds compared to Revolution's, but readers should not assume that they are really comparable. These are different architectures. Fact is, GameCube's PowerPC-based Gekko CPU and ATI-developed Flipper GPU held their own against Xbox despite the fact that Microsoft's console's speeds were -- on paper -- dramatically faster. Further, these specs do not account for bandwidth, RAM speed, and other important factors. I expect that when Revolution finally surfaces, it will be a console whose strengths are greater than the sum of the parts we've listed thus far. Please, please keep that in mind.

At the same time, if you're still holding out for the miracle, do me a favor and stop. It seems that every time we write anything hardware related, there are the skeptics with the retaliatory comment, "Why does IGN post hearsay as fact? Nobody has final development hardware!!11111" Yes, the "1s" are there to demonstrate that these people are freakin' morons. I did not wake up today, roll into the office and write a piece of literary fiction for readers to enjoy in lieu of legitimate news. This is not "hearsay" or rumor. These specs we post, they are copy/pasted to us directly from Nintendo's latest (as in, in the last couple of weeks) Revolution documentation. Quoted to us verbatim. And these quotes do not come from creatures that exist inside my head. I am talking with numerous development sources with hardware; people who have been briefed by Nintendo about what to expect from the final machine. Some of these people are preparing games to show at E3 2006, which is one month away. in short, they know what to expect; they aren't working with old materials; they aren't relaying old specs; and we aren't posting out-of-date information.

Is everything set in stone? Nope. If history has taught me anything, it's that hardware specs can and do change. Xbox 360 had 256MBs of RAM during a major phase of the development cycle. That number only doubled later in the cycle, likely after Sony relayed specs for PlayStation 3 to studios. That being true, there's always the chance that some of Revolution's numbers may change before the system finally hits retail shelves. I certainly wouldn't mind if the 88MBs of main RAM in the console increased before or after E3 2006. At the same time, you're not going to see the CPU and GPU suddenly quadruple in speeds; it just doesn't work that way. The numbers we have now -- they're the same as they were in December and before that. Final dev kits in June will be reflective of that -- not in conflict with it.

GameCube saw some beautiful, epic games, and Revolution utilizes almost twice the power. The console is going to get its fair share of gorgeous software, I can guarantee you.

Some gamers are -- whether they have admitted it to themselves or not -- obsessed with the notion that Revolution must compete visually with Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. From that point of view, it's easy to look at the console's tech specs and wonder why they are not as powerful as the others. But I propose you take a different point of view -- one that puts graphics in the back seat and gameplay up front. Ask yourself why Microsoft and Sony have not advanced their controllers. Look at what Nintendo is attempting with Revolution's free-style pointer. Look at the technology in place there. Now, imagine the gameplay possibilities that may await because of this new device, which is, at least to me, fundamentally more important than any bump in graphic horsepower. This is the driving force behind Revolution. Whether the final system will live up to Nintendo's ambitions, I have no idea. But I'll tell you, quite honestly, that the potential is enormous."

archie4oz said:
People can be 'tards... Tells you how badly they're brainwashed by clockspeeds...
<nintendiot>
yes of course, clockspeed means nothing in this context.
i'm pretty sure hollywod will have 256 pipes, so its clockspeed will not be a problem.. and the CPU will process at least 50 instructions per cycle.

and they will soon reveal rev supports HD
</nintendiot>

Great post by Matt that clearly cuts to the core of the issue, that fan-boys just can't deal with the likelihood that the Revolution will be quite a bit below the PS3/X360 in terms of power.

Funny how the non-fan-boys (but still have a soft spot for Nintendo) are completely fine with this as we understand it's totally a legitimate tactic to take - let the two 800lb gorillas knock each other out while you go in a totally different direction.

Ty said:
Great post by Matt that clearly cuts to the core of the issue, that fan-boys just can't deal with the likelihood that the Revolution will be quite a bit below the PS3/X360 in terms of power.

Funny how the non-fan-boys (but still have a soft spot for Nintendo) are completely fine with this as we understand it's totally a legitimate tactic to take - let the two 800lb gorillas knock each other out while you go in a totally different direction.

im finding the opposite true here. I havent looked elseware and dont care too. People are looking at the newly suggested specs and its the Xbox360 and PS3 fanbots raving the console is going to be garbage now. Recycled overclocked gamecubes with nothing to offer but the same thing nintendo has for the last 5 years problably sums it up what most of them think about it.

Oh and i've seen the word "gimmick" used half a dozen times now to describe the idea and implimentation of the new nintendo controller. And its not by nintendo loyalists.

Last edited by a moderator:
all i know is that the revo will be the second ever game console for me to buy at launch, day one. the first was the psp due to my insatiable craving for a graphics-coding handheld.

The virtual console is reason enough for me to buy it. I haven't owned Nintetendo since the NES, but I'll be buying the Revolution on day one. They wouldn't even have to release any new games and I would still buy it.

Its just another way of keeping Next Gen dev cost down. Microsoft is trying to make software that keeps dev cost down while Nintendo is making hardware that keeps next gen dev cost down while offering a feature that should be innovative and possibly industry changing. What they are both trying to do should be commended. Nintendo's way will end up being the cheapest for devs though.

darkblu said:
all i know is that the revo will be the second ever game console for me to buy at launch, day one. the first was the psp due to my insatiable craving for a graphics-coding handheld.

Bank balance permitting, I'll be getting the Revolution on launch day. It'll be the second time I've bought a console on launch day too, the first being the DC.

Some gamers are -- whether they have admitted it to themselves or not -- obsessed with the notion that Revolution must compete visually with Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
Ask yourself why Microsoft and Sony have not advanced their controllers.
I've not always seen eye to eye with what Matt (or the rest of IGNCube or whatever branch of the portal we're talking about here) writes, but he really nails the issue here with these two sentences.

I've no idea how many people have stated on this site alone that there'd be no point in releasing the Rev if it doesn't have the horsepower of PS3/360, and not just in the relatively few hours since these rumor specs were released, but in the past too. The thing is, if Rev was as powerful as PS3/360, it would be as big as them, run as hot as them, make as much noise as them and cost as much money as them.

I think it'll be a good compromise having a system that is roughly 2x GC that costs around 0.5x price of 360 Premium. Maybe even a little less perhaps if we're allowed to dream. And one that has a really cool input system, wifi networking as standard and the uber retro backwards compatibility...

SugarCoat said:
im finding the opposite true here. I havent looked elseware and dont care too. People are looking at the newly suggested specs and its the Xbox360 and PS3 fanbots raving the console is going to be garbage now. Recycled overclocked gamecubes with nothing to offer but the same thing nintendo has for the last 5 years problably sums it up what most of them think about it.

Maybe I missed those. Most of the posts I've seen defending IGN's article are of the, 'Well it only makes sense' & 'We told you not to get your hopes up' variety.

SugarCoat said:
Oh and i've seen the word "gimmick" used half a dozen times now to describe the idea and implimentation of the new nintendo controller. And its not by nintendo loyalists.

That's got nothing to do with IGN's article per se - this type of attack came out the instant the controller idea debutted. I'd throw out the wildly successful DS as a counter-argument to that though.

Guden Oden said:
The thing is, if Rev was as powerful as PS3/360, it would be as big as them, run as hot as them, make as much noise as them and cost as much money as them.

You'd think this would be common sense or something.

Guden Oden said:
I think it'll be a good compromise having a system that is roughly 2x GC that costs around 0.5x price of 360 Premium.

Why would that be a good compromise? The GameCube cost $200 (half the price of the 360 premium) when it was first released yet it was 30+ times more powerful then Nintendo's previous console iteration. GC now costs about $50 to make using 2001 technology. Using 2006 tech the same $50 would probably already buy Nintendo a console near twice as powerful as GC..

Not that I believe for a second that Revolution will be only twice as powerful as GC of course.

Guden Oden said:
I think it'll be a good compromise having a system that is roughly 2x GC that costs around 0.5x price of 360 Premium. Maybe even a little less perhaps if we're allowed to dream. And one that has a really cool input system, wifi networking as standard and the uber retro backwards compatibility...

Sell that at 200$ is stealing, even at 99$...

If we are to believe it's just a clock boost and not much else (more ram), then I can't see a reason this shouldn't launch at $149.

Going from 180nm to 90nm or so should make it dirt cheap (GCs are still made on 180nm, no? if not, then ignore this!) -- could easily be a single chip solution even, and end up at a similar price as GC (including the extra ram and such, possibly).

I'm not saying I believe it's just a clock boost, but if in reality we are only looking at a 1.5-3x boost in power over a GC then I don't see why this console can't and shouldn't launch at $149, even with the flail-o-tron 3000 wand.

I'd probably still buy it at launch if it was $200, but I think I might be a bit annoyed knowing what I was getting out of PS3/X360 at their respective prices vs Rev.

Guden Oden said:
I think it'll be a good compromise having a system that is roughly 2x GC that costs around 0.5x price of 360 Premium. Maybe even a little less perhaps if we're allowed to dream. ...
Nintendo publicly said that the new controller is a costly little gadget so i wouldn't bank that. Something around 200$ sounds about right.

Ty said:
That's got nothing to do with IGN's article per se - this type of attack came out the instant the controller idea debutted. I'd throw out the wildly successful DS as a counter-argument to that though.

The success of the DS has 0% to do with the Revolution. 99% of the handheld market already had Nintendo systems. That's not the case on the console side of things.

Yes as a near monopoly you can nearly force change on the market. As I 2nd or 3rd place canidate in the market such ideas are not going to adopted with such great entusiasm.

Back