Massachusetts court: Ban on gay marriage unconstitutional

RussSchultz said:
Meh. Kids are just vanity objects, anyways. ;)
i chuckled, then started thinking. Ive read and seen stories of working mom's who dont stay at home in the first year or two of their childs lives, but instead go back to work, even if the income is not required. Kinda sad. I guess work life is alot more exciting than changing diapers and being with your children.

later,
epic

PeterAce said:
That is such a weak argument.

Children will bully others for every reason under the sun : hair colour, shape of nose, plus a million other reasons.

The solution is to stamp out bullying as much possible.

Not an argument, just my reason I will personally never do it to a child, and never adopt one...

So, kids get bullied for other things, might as well give them another reason??? Now that's a strong argument :rolleyes:

well, i just gave my biews why it shouldnt. Lesbian couples can already adopt children (quite easily). I guess one day Gay couples will be allowed too, but personally i don't think it's right for the child, one of the reasons i explained above.

looking at things as they are now and where they are heading, hopefully there will come a point where such fears are no longre a major concern.

notAFanB said:
well, i just gave my biews why it shouldnt. Lesbian couples can already adopt children (quite easily). I guess one day Gay couples will be allowed too, but personally i don't think it's right for the child, one of the reasons i explained above.

looking at things as they are now and where they are heading, hopefully there will come a point where such fears are no longre a major concern.

We'll see...... I still think kids can be horrible creatures at times. ;)

Shouldn't individual adoption decisions be made on the specific facts obtaining w/r/t said adoption rather than some silly overreaching statements like "gays shouldn't adopt" and "the kids will get bullied". Maybe ugly people shouldn't adopt and poor people shouldn't adopt and people with poor credit histories shouldn't adopt. It seems to me that (if you believe adoption should be regulated) then the state should take a good look at the parents and the situation on a case by case basis using criteria that point to "good adoptive parents" and "good adoptive situation". If you believe gays cannot make good parents then I agree, they shouldn't adopt. If you belive gayness tends to show poor parenting ability or a poor parenting situation, then gayness should be a factor in adoption consideration. I'm no scientist but shouldn't facts before I make such a decision.

TheMightyPuck said:
It seems to me that (if you believe adoption should be regulated) then the state should take a good look at the parents and the situation on a case by case basis using criteria that point to "good adoptive parents" and "good adoptive situation".

Agreed.

Note that we've made specific mention of "all else being equal" in most of our comments. In other words, in a hypotehtical case where two prospective adoptive "parents" were exactly the same except for one thing: one was a gay couple, one was a heterosexual couple, then I would definitely favor the hetero couple.

If you believe gays cannot make good parents then I agree, they shouldn't adopt.

I do want to make it clear that I believe gays can make good parents. However, I simply feel that having both a mother and a father figure is the best parenting situation.

I really like this quote:
"Congress undertook this classification for the one purpose that lies entirely outside of legislative bounds, to disadvantage a group of which it disapproves. And such a classification the Constitution clearly will not permit," Tauro wrote.
Spot-on, I must say.

Hey, Obama might appeal this decision. He's been insane on gay rights remember.

It'd be the nail in the coffin for Obama as far as I'm concerned, but I could see him doing it. :yep2:

Score one more for the good guys. Man this has been a great year. :)

Alarms about the imminent erosion of the 'natural' order of marriage were sounded over the demise of anti-miscegenation laws, the expansion of the rights of married women, and the introduction of 'no-fault' divorce. Marriage has survived all of these transformations, and we have no doubt that marriage will continue to be a vibrant and revered institution.

The history of constitutional law 'is the story of the extension of constitutional rights and protections to people once ignored or excluded.' This statement is as true in the area of civil marriage as in any other area of civil rights.

Ahhh how sweet it is. :)

I have to disagree with your quote. Marriage is barely alive in this nation divorce rates are extremely high (isn't it 1 in every 2 marriages will fail and end in divorce ?)

ALso what about those who want to marry multiple people. this is hardly an extension of constitutional rights and protections to those people once ignoed or excluded.

Tho hey mabye this will stop Google from discrimiating against Strait people.

ALso what about those who want to marry multiple people. this is hardly an extension of constitutional rights and protections to those people once ignoed or excluded.

Oh, I don't know, my brain conjures that the inalienable right of all men to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is at the very heart of the ideals this country was founded on.

Cool, hopefully polygamous marriages will soon be allowed also. :p

If the gays can marry how they wish (nothing against it), I don't see why the Mormons can't marry how they wish (not a Mormon :p).

Regards,
SB

Cool, hopefully polygamous marriages will soon be allowed also. :p

If the gays can marry how they wish (nothing against it), I don't see why the Mormons can't marry how they wish (not a Mormon :p).

Regards,
SB

Let mormons marry if they want as far as I'm concerned.

However, gay marriage and polygamy are so not comparable.

Let mormons marry if they want as far as I'm concerned.

However, gay marriage and polygamy are so not comparable.

Wait so you'd be quite willing to discriminate against a person just because of their sexual preference?

Isn't that what people accuse anti-gay marriage people of?

Regards,
SB

I think polygamy is out because it's defined as a union between two individuals.

I'm not passing judgment on if that is right or wrong, it's just what I believe it is.

Not sure how many states word it as a union between individuals and how many word it as a union between a man and a woman. I'd think the wording for the latter is more prevalent.

Thinking about it more, beastiality should be legal now. Just because someone prefers animals the law shouldn't discriminate against them for that.

At least with incest there's some genetic justification. Although gay incest should be legal also according to this ruling.

Wonder when we'll see the first brother-brother marriage or sister-sister marriage?

Regards,
SB

Not sure how many states word it as a union between individuals and how many word it as a union between a man and a woman. I'd think the wording for the latter is more prevalent.

Thinking about it more, beastiality should be legal now. Just because someone prefers animals the law shouldn't discriminate against them for that.

At least with incest there's some genetic justification. Although gay incest should be legal also according to this ruling.

Wonder when we'll see the first brother-brother marriage or sister-sister marriage?

Regards,
SB

The poor animal can't give consent. I don't see a problem with 5 18 year old + women wanting to marry one guy if they care too. They are able to make that choice.

As for incest , if you believe in Adam and Eve then we are all guilty of it.

Back