MAG

THAT is the key question here. Will Sony bother to market it. And even if they do, will they actually do a good job of it?

I tried the game recently at the EG expo and it didn't impress me at all, as it came across as a muddy-looking slightly sub-standard shooter. Which, on the surface, is exactly what it is.

But it's not a pickupandplay game that can grab people within a few minutes. I haven't had a chance at the beta, but I've read enough to be of the opinion that the game needs some player dedication, along with a willingness to work in a team, for it to shine at all. I was actually disappointed at the Expo that Sony couldn't even be bothered to send a minion from their London office to oversee the demo being played, to give insight into the team ethic the game requires, the need for tactical play, etc.

Pretty much everyone I spoke to after their 10 mins or so with the game was less than impressed. But of course, given the nature of the title, that's all they were ever going to be after 10 mins with it and no guidance from a developer rep.

Just seeing it won't make it stand out in a crowded genre. And trying to play it while figuring out how it works just makes it seem chaotic. The game is incredibly overwhelming for newcomers. And the training mission is still locked in the beta.

Since the last phase of the beta started there have been a lot of new players. While most of older players have, I suspect, moved to MW2. I haven't seen anyone playing under a clantag all day yesterday. As a result the game has become a lot more chaotic, and there is a lot less teamwork. Before about half the players had headsets, now I'm lucky if I'm not the only one in my squad with a headset.

Really the only way to show MAG's strengths is to have people play it for a longer period of time, and have a proper training mission to explain it all.

Yeah, that much is inexplicable, that some parts are locked. The game actually has a bunch of stuff that is non-obvious but you sort of have to figure it out by trial and error.

Some of the things I love about MAG because you rarely see them.

Campers. Because the maps are huge, and have many important targets spread across them, it just doesn't pay to camp. Even as a defender you'll be too busy to stay in a single spot, trying to cover every angle the attackers might try to destroy your bunker from, or trying recover lost targets. And if the defenders are all camping at same place, they only end up giving the next person who orders in an airstrike a nice XP boost.

Snipers. Even though the maps are huge, there is still plenty of cover to safely get some where. And if you do see a sniper, an assault rifle usually has both the accuracy and range to take care of them. The game also gives a nice warning message to your squad mates everytime you spot one. And like I said, your going to be on the move a lot, which isn't something the snipers in most games are used to.

Something I don't like in FPS's is having to level up to unlock better stuff. I don't like to play against opponents with better equipment, or if they have worse equipment. Skill should be what matters, not how long you've been playing. MAG still needs you to buy better equipment before you can use it, but it shows you every thing you can unlock immediately, and what you'll need to do to get it. That way you can plan ahead if you really want something. For example, I always want the best assault rifle. You'll receive 1 point per level, so I can have the best assault rifle as early as level 15.

I liked that too, the skill trees and the ability to respec. Not so crazy on the respec cost, though.

On levelling, I didn't play that much because of lack of time and I kept missing the window, as I said, but it seemed easy to go up levels and gain unlock points.

Last edited by a moderator:
And like I said, your going to be on the move a lot, which isn't something the snipers in most games are used to.

Dude, good snipers use their sniper rifle even when playing CQC maps in CoD, you being on the move changes nothing for a good sniper.

Bad snipers are not worth talking about, as just like bad other players, they just generally suck, moving,camping, jumping whatever.

And for every other kind of game the Dual-shock 3 is much better I think ;)

You must have tiny hands . I really can't stand the playstation controller and even from when it was the supernes controller it hurt my hands more so than any controller. The original saturn pads and the drema cast pads were the best and the 360 is also good for me.

Dude, good snipers use their sniper rifle even when playing CQC maps in CoD, you being on the move changes nothing for a good sniper.

Bad snipers are not worth talking about, as just like bad other players, they just generally suck, moving,camping, jumping whatever.

Aye good snipers have no problem getting a headshot on someone moving and jumping. The majority of people that "try" to be a sniper however, aren't particularly good at it.

Regards,
SB

The majority of people that "try" to be a sniper however, aren't particularly good at it.

Yes, but the majority of people that try to be a sniper suck so much that his point is moot. The average sniper is simply to bad to hit you unless you stand perfectly still. So whether things are constantly moving or not, has no implication for snipers.

A good sniper will still rape you from a distance, and the poor ones, well they suck either way.

And that's precisely why there are so few snipers in MAG, because only the good snipers can do those things.

Bad snipers quickly find out that there isn't really a good place for them to hide. And it hurts their precious K/D ratios. They may not be worth talking about, but they do manage to turn objective based gamemodes into teamdeathmatches when there are enough of them. In BF:BC playing goldrush you knew you were going to win if the attackers all started sniping. They just weren't going to bother with the objectives, and it ruins an otherwise great gamemode.

Once players figure out what they have to do MAG is quite effective at making strangers work together. Even though there still is room for improvement, it is already better at it then most team based multiplayer games.

I liked that too, the skill trees and the ability to respec. Not so crazy on the respec cost, though.

On levelling, I didn't play that much because of lack of time and I kept missing the window, as I said, but it seemed easy to go up levels and gain unlock points.

The beta is still going even though the e-mail with my beta code said it would end 11 November. And it seems most players that had access to it before still have access to it now. And it's available to play all day now. It would have been nice if they had let us know stuff like that through e-mail, instead of just putting it in the playstation forums.

Since the last update the respec cost has gone down from 5000 to 3000. Each level now requires a bit more XP, and the strongest versions of each gun now cost 5 points instead of 3 points. Of course any of this could still change between now and the release day.

This game needs to be visible to the public soon, if wants to survive the assualt of MW2 and BF:BC2 ! I want to give it a chance, but right now my votes are for BF:BC 2 too, as I know it works really well !
In a similar manner, I need to know if MAG really works, before I plunge my money in it. THe will have to figure out a way for a demo, or make the beta open for 2 weeks or so. I think it should be somewhere before BF:BC2 beta ends and BF:BC2 launch.

11.20 2009By Popular Demand: MAG Beta Extendedposted by Jeremy Dunham, November 20, 2009 5:43 pmIt may be an overused expression, but the phrase, ?Because you demanded it? absolutely applies to what I?m about to tell you. Yes, shooter fans, as clichéd as it may sound, because of your overwhelming requests to extend our beta period, we?ve gone ahead and done it. Originally scheduled to end on November 20, the MAG Beta 4 program will continue on through the weekend and into early next week.But that?s not all ? I?m also pleased to announce that I?ll be back next week with details about how all of your favorite gaming outlets will be running promotions to get you into our next beta (you didn?t really think we were done did you?)! And trust me when I say, you?ll definitely want to check back to find out how to get involved on both the PlayStation Blogand the Official MAG Blog. Oh, and for Facebook users who are fans of our games, drop by the new Zipper Interactive fan page, which just went live today.

Good news from the official MAG.

Sorry I can't provide a direct link because I'm posting this from my PS3. Using copy on PS3 doesn't seem to work properly either.

You must have tiny hands . I really can't stand the playstation controller and even from when it was the supernes controller it hurt my hands more so than any controller. The original saturn pads and the drema cast pads were the best and the 360 is also good for me.

I will admit that trying to use the d-pad/face buttons plus the shoulder buttons at the same time can be cramped, and I hate the convex triggers. The basic button design and layout though is still my favorite after all these years though. I think the 360's controller was designed with FPSs in mind first, or so it feels. By having the left stick in such a position that involves somewhat destabilizing your palm yet still comfortable, it feels "less stable" obviously, but ask anyone well versed in fighter plane aerodynamics and they'll tell you that instability = maneuverability. Movement precision isn't so important in FPSs, speed and reaction is. The right stick involves stretching ones finger some and requires more inner thumb and palm muscle control which is more precise and more stable especially since the hand is resting more upon the controller. Yes, speed is still key, but speed isn't so useful when aiming in an FPS if you can't ever be precise. Basically, for me, the dual-shock design is two very stable sticks, with good button placement. It's what I grew up with, and I'm still used to it. Hell when referring to 360 controls, I refer to the face buttons like Playstation controls "triangle, circle, X, square". Also I hate using the triggers in 360 racing games for acceleration and deceleration. Much prefer the pressure sensitive face buttons of the PS1 controller. And, no I'm not trying to bash the 360 controller. I just much prefer the dual shock design.

Some sites have been giving away MAG beta codes. You know in the usual start unannounced, getting all excited when you see it, hurrying over to get one, damn they're all gone, kind of way. Hopefully some people here made it in.

When you start playing MAG, you get to choose between 3 PMC's, Raven, Valor and SVER. This is a very important choice because you'll only be able to party up with friends in the same PMC. Beyond that the differences between the PMC's aren't that big. In general Ravens weapons are the most accurate, but are somewhat lacking in stopping power. SVER is the opposite with the least accuracy, but the most stopping power. Valor has a good balance between the two.

I haven't made a choice between the PMC's yet, but I'm probably going to go with Raven again. If anyone has a code and wants to join me playing MAG, let me know. My PSN name is cornsnake. Hopefully all the party bugs were solved in the last update.

It still baffles me that there's hardly any guidance as to what to do in this game. Also, it seems like the colored ticks that a little while to show up a couple of times, though maybe it's just my eyes -- in a game with friendly fire and quick deaths it's not a great combo. Reminded me a bit of the BF 'red name' bug.

For the Europeans who wanted to try:

Sorry, but the MAG 4.5 beta is only for North American residents in the United States and Canada.

Back