Lumines Live Tomorrow

What's odd is that you actually get less game with the "main" game than you get with the add-on pack.
The main game has 12 skins, the addon pack has 22. Are we now paying for a demo of sorts?

I hope this will not be the trend with those "episodic" games too (GTA4 main game to come with one "island" worth of gaming, the downloadable "episodic content" adds two or more of these "islands")

You get like 6 different game modes plus online multiplayer with the main pack.

"Joystiq" has a report on this:

We play mission mode ... for five levels. The rest will cost extra.

We play puzzle mode ... for five levels. The rest will cost extra.

We play VS CPU ... for ten levels. The rest will cost extra.
Is that true?
If it is, then you truly are buying a demo first, and the game only with the "Advanced Pack"
The five levels for mission mode (the games main mode I'd say) is really just a taster.

"Joystiq" has a report on this:

Is that true?
If it is, then you truly are buying a demo first, and the game only with the "Advanced Pack"
The five levels for mission mode (the games main mode I'd say) is really just a taster.
That's the model. You can either buy a full game for $40 or, as in the case here, pieces of the game for cheaper (though buying all the parts would cost more than $40).

It certainly gets the game into that impulse buy area we always talk about. Not sure how I feel about it without trying it out first.

To me it feels overwhelming, all these things to buy.. by far the worst thing is that all this is NOT communicated properly to the player. The marketplace marketing text just said something in the vein of "you can buy more content".

To me it feels overwhelming, all these things to buy.. by far the worst thing is that all this is NOT communicated properly to the player. The marketplace marketing text just said something in the vein of "you can buy more content".
That's it, if you give too much to buy for the game from day one, it feels overwhelming.
It's better to let the customer play the game for a while, until he actually starts to feel the need for new content, instead of throwing it all to his face at once and say "it's your choice, buy it all now or later.... we'll be here... waiting....for your money"
It's lucrative, yes, but frustrating also.

That's it, if you give too much to buy for the game from day one, it feels overwhelming.
It's better to let the customer play the game for a while, until he actually starts to feel the need for new content, instead of throwing it all to his face at once and say "it's your choice, buy it all now or later.... we'll be here... waiting....for your money"
It's lucrative, yes, but frustrating also.

Yeah I agree. In a game like Gran Turismo this approach would work - no one really needs all 700+ cars. A much better option is to give some of them to start with and put the rest 600+ for sale - and have some as rewards for completing certain tasks.

Indeed there are, and it reaaaaaally brings me down to see how much I suck at the game :) Current top scores are:

Challenge mode: 1676756
Skin Edit Mode Single Lap: 295966
Time Attack 60sec: 85
Time Attack 180sec: 211
Time Attack 300sec: 380
Time Attack 600sec: 761

So you've got some work ahead of you, but I'm a lot further off.. need a lot more practice :) Btw managed to get my X360 stuck a while ago by starting up Lumines and pressing the Guide button while the intro was shown.. reaaally weird.

Ok thanks! Yesterday I got 66 and 197 for 60 and 180, so I'm actually quite pleased. I've stopped pretending that it makes sense for a 32 year old to try and beat some 18 year old at these kind of things. ;) But I do like to see if I'm competitive. With some effort I could probably get close to that 211, but then again this game is just out and I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see that figure go up.

I actually think you might be able to sort of calculate the theoretical maximum scores though, meaning that I'm not sure how much room there still is in there. But judging from what generally happens with popular online games, it'll probably get crazy. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed there are, and it reaaaaaally brings me down to see how much I suck at the game :)

Btw managed to get my X360 stuck a while ago by starting up Lumines and pressing the Guide button while the intro was shown.. reaaally weird.

Yeah :) Reminds me how depressed I felt seeing the top score in geometry wars was ~120million. :runaway: I was so proud till that moment ;p

as for lockups, this actually happened to me, the guide appeared, but no text. After about 30 seconds it sorted itself out though. Maybe the app was doing something it wasn't supposed to. Too many high priority threads or something.

I can see why this game could be so addictive, but I can't justify the price. It just feels too high for a downloaded game. Like doom, I refuse to pay $20 for a 13 year old game I already have many copies of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks! Yesterday I got 66 and 197 for 60 and 180, so I'm actually quite pleased. I've stopped pretending that it makes sense for a 32 year old to try and beat some 18 year old at these kind of things. ;) But I do like to see if I'm competitive. With some effort I could probably get close to that 211, but then again this game is just out and I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see that figure go up.

I actually think you might be able to sort of calculate the theoretical maximum scores though, meaning that I'm not sure how much room there still is in there. But judging from what generally happens with popular online games, it'll probably get crazy. ;)

So now I also got 311 for 300 sec mode, and 600 for 600 ... :D

Man this game is like crack. I haven't been able to do anything else since I bought it. I just wish it was cheaper so that more people could experience it.

My score is like 50 on the 60 second time trial. Feel free to add me if you want to get some multiplayer games going on.

My score is like 50 on the 60 second time trial. Feel free to add me if you want to get some multiplayer games going on.

I really like the option to download replays. The other day number 1 had ~150 in 60 seconds.

That replay is insane.

Anyways, I really don't think 1200 points is a lot for this game.

Broke the 200 barrier on the 180 sec mode for the first time: 204 :). Mind you, I'm still playing this on the PSP, using the original first Lumines, Japanese. Hopefully Lumines 2 also has online scoreboards, that would be cool ... haven't read anything about that yet though.

Back