Lost Finale

Which is a great way of saying, the first 5 seasons don't matter. Which is revisionist at best.

They were entertaining, no? That's what a TV show is supposed to be. It's not heart surgery.

Some things just didn't matter and were put there to made us think, some were fillers, and there were obvious holes in the whole series, but in the grand scheme of things, some things just didn't matter.

The 'big things' (ie the numbers in S1 and 2 and more - Dharma in S1 to 5 - Smokey was always there - Jacob in last few seasons - the island and the protagonists in all seasons) were all explained. So, of course the other seasons mattered.
So what if some small details weren't explained in full and made you use your brain a little?

Seriously, people complained about Vincent... it's a bloody dog, who cares where he was or what he did all these years??? Same for a million of other little unexplained things.

Do you read books? Would you rather have a finale or a series of episodes where every little tiny detail is explained? Would that not kill the very essence of what made Lost special, ie making you think and wonder? If that happened, people like you would be the first in line to complain about all the explanation had 'dumbed down' the show.

I like to be able to think about things my own way and not being fed every little explanation in a story.

If you weren't able to enjoy the series finale (or the whole of S6) then i do wonder why you watched Lost in the first place.
Did you really think that we would have someone come up and tell us the equation of what made the island special? It's pseudo-scientific-religious at best.
Or what and why every single character in the whole series did before, during and after going to the island? Or why Walt - who's been gone for 4 bloody years - wasn't in the finale (which you can infer yourself, if you really wanted)?

I watched it because the interaction between the characters, the mysteries, some action here and there, were gripping and made me think, and obviously made me want more. Explaining all of those mysteries would have simply ruined everything.

That's what Lost was all about. You quite obviously watched a different show in your head, otherwise you'd have stopped watching it a long time ago if you had realised that not everything would be explained.

A show like Desperate Housewives, which has a lovely voice over which invariably explains to the viewer- at some point late in each season - the very mystery and Big Secret of the season, after the viewer got the same conclusion a fair bit earlier on - would be more appropriate for some people.

Lost was ultimately good, but misguided. The producers and writers were blinded by early success and decided to feed the addiction by piling on the mystery. Then they realised they actually had to finish this thing they created and thus started the jury-rigging and retrofitting. It had many good episodes, but also many bad episodes one after another, but in the end more good than bad.

I agree that it went on a little long and could have been reduced to 4 seasons but I enjoyed the whole ride through these years. It was a fantastic series and a beautiful ending.

It seemed to me the long finale was somewhat cut down? There seemed to be missing parts, probably extra scenes included in the BluRay. This is definitely a series I'll be buying on BluRay once the package is released.

I agree that it went on a little long and could have been reduced to 4 seasons but I enjoyed the whole ride through these years. It was a fantastic series and a beautiful ending.

It seemed to me the long finale was somewhat cut down? There seemed to be missing parts, probably extra scenes included in the BluRay. This is definitely a series I'll be buying on BluRay once the package is released.

been released for quite a while. Can order it on amazon as we speak.

Character driven story telling ... the eternal excuse when the plot sucks.

The mysteries are secondary, the lack of answers is just a symptom of the main problem with Lost ... it's plot.

The only problem is, there are no answers to the questions the show asks...
In the end, it was about the journey, and not how it ends. It was about everything we cannot help ourselves but wonder, although we are certain we can never know.

How else could it end? The people that stuck with the show and couldn't see that no answers were heading their way, were just diluting themselves.
Unless they were waiting for a TV show to tell them the answer to Life, the Universe, and well, Everything. ;)

I thought it was a nice fairytale. I never thought it was anything more. And I'm fairly certain that it will be a long time when I'll see an other one like it. 'Cause not many things can make you remember how it was when you were a child, and that show did it for me.

Well it certainly made me remember why I stopped watching Twin Peaks, for much the same reasons ... so in that it reminded me how it was when I was a child.

Heh, you said the magic word :). Two magic words actually, and that is Twin Peaks :D.
Everything David Lynch is a work of art and a masterpiece for me.
I like my art (or entertainment, however you want to put it) without answers. Only with questions :D

Back