LG 27" 1440p 240Hz OLED

I've made the switch to 4k OLED TV last year from an eyefinity setup and it's been real hard trying use 16:9 again. For gaming, it's extremely difficult to let go of the wider FoV once you have tried out 21:9 and beyond. I play at 100FoV in most of my games and it still feels quite constrained despite the TV being double the height of the eyefinity monitors.

Hopefully, in a couple of years time, 5090 is out and 8k is easily playable.

Not if you get a 5120x2160 ultra wide which is essentially the ultrawide equivalent of a 4k monitor.

This is true, you pay a premium for ultrawide.
At that point why not just get a true 5K display with proper PPI for $999, which again is cheaper than the ultra wide counterpart? 🤷🏼‍♂️

It's clearly a gamer versus productivity thing. The trade-offs are mix of refresh rate, PPI and physical size of the monitor.
I've made the switch to 4k OLED TV last year from an eyefinity setup and it's been real hard trying use 16:9 again. For gaming, it's extremely difficult to let go of the wider FoV once you have tried out 21:9 and beyond. I play at 100FoV in most of my games and it still feels quite constrained despite the TV being double the height of the eyefinity monitors.

I mean since you use an OLED can't you just put black bars at the top and bottom for whatever arbitrary aspect ratio you like?

At that point why not just get a true 5K display with proper PPI for $999, which again is cheaper than the ultra wide counterpart? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Because you're still losing out on the extra rendered FoV. If games and Windows / productivity apps simply cut the top and bottom off the screen I'd be inclined to agree with you. But they don't work that way, you get exactly what you would get on a 16:9 display, with extra on each side.

In the example above, the displayed image you would actually get on the 5k monitor would be equivalent to the middle two thirds of the image you would get on the ultra wide. It might be higher PPI and/or blown up in size depending on the overall panel sizes, but you're still seeing less on screen.

It's clearly a gamer versus productivity thing. The trade-offs are mix of refresh rate, PPI and physical size of the monitor.

Again, physical size of the monitor is purely down to what size of monitor you choose to buy. If you equalise height, the ultrawide has more space. If you equalise width, the 16:9 has more. But yes, you will pay less for the same, or even more screen space overall for a 16:9 - but lose out on the fov in the process.

I mean since you use an OLED can't you just put black bars at the top and bottom for whatever arbitrary aspect ratio you like?

It doesn't work for all games depending on how they handle full screen resolutions, and isn't compatible with DSR.

Have you setup your monitor not to scale
and in the nvidia control panel selected no scaling and perform scaling on the gpu
also try override the scaling mode set by games and programs ?

@gamervivek 8k gaming is not going to be a thing for a very very long time, if ever. Not without dlss/fsr ultra performance mode anyway. Unless you only play really old games, or indie games, which isn't a bad way to game.

Have tried it a few times but it feels a bit strange with the image being sandwiched between two black bars, during daytime especially.

@gamervivek 8k gaming is not going to be a thing for a very very long time, if ever. Not without dlss/fsr ultra performance mode anyway. Unless you only play really old games, or indie games, which isn't a bad way to game.

Though nvidia are improving ultra performance mode, it'll still not be good enough for my setup where the TV is basically an oversized gaming monitor and so the flaws will be visible just like the low PPI is currently. I'm hoping that perf. upscaling from 4k should be doable for most games and would look just fantastic.

There is at least one 55'' 8k 'monitor' announced already, just needs to be OLED 240Hz and of course, UW.

and in the nvidia control panel selected no scaling and perform scaling on the gpu

Yep some games just wouldn't comply no matter what I tried. Many did work great though. I played several Assassins Creed games like that.

But adding custom resolutions to enable this seems to conflict with DRS. At least it used to for me.

Doesn't HDR in games usually require exclusive fullscreen? That can mess with the ability to use custom resolutions.

afaik, Intel GPUs don't have an option like that, alas. Still, my 16:9 4K TV has an option to set an ultrawide resolution. Only tested it a couple of times, so I might retest it.

Gone back to IPS with mini LED and FALD dimming as I've decided to wait to the 4k OLED's come out.

It's not as big of a downgrade as you would expect and is a huge upgrade in a lot of respects.

Video showing the local dimming in action.

And a comparison image of TLOU with FALD off vs on (The difference is even bigger in person)

Last edited:
Gone back to IPS with mini LED and FALD dimming as I've decided to wait to the 4k OLED's come out.

It's not as big of a downgrade as you would expect and is a huge upgrade in a lot of respects.

Video showing the local dimming in action.

And a comparison image of TLOU with FALD off vs on (The difference is even bigger in person)

the link gives me a 404 error.

On a different note, I am writing this on my 50" 4K TV in ultrawide mode at 3840x1080 resolution, so 32:9 o_O crazy. It also accepts 3840x1600 and 2560x1080. This only happens in PC mode.

played a few games .that support ultrawide res.- in 32:9 at 3840x1080 . I prefer this to 2560x1080 since the horizontal resolution and the vertical resolution are both native at 3840x1080. You lose half the vertical screen, but the "viewport" is amazing and with a 50" screen it's not that big of a deal that half the screen is black bars. I had never ever experienced a similar resolution until now. It's a nice touch from Samsung, having a Game Mode with native support for ultrawide resolutions, both 21:9 and 32:9 on a native 16:9 display (physically wise).

the link gives me a 404 error.

On a different note, I am writing this on my 50" 4K TV in ultrawide mode at 3840x1080 resolution, so 32:9 o_O crazy. It also accepts 3840x1600 and 2560x1080. This only happens in PC mode.

I will try and find the tripod and take some proper comparison shots of none FALD Vs FALD.

a couple of screengrabs, a photo from my phone to share how the screen looks using a 32:9 resolution, 3840x1080 (with black bars at the top and bottom of the central area).

the DF's video is playing at 4K, but the screen is soooo wide that it's placed in the central area. I am always using this resolution now, it saves a lot of energy 'cos most of the screen is black and it adds HUGE visibility. I was using dual 32" monitor until yesterday when I tried this, so from now I will be using a single 50" TV and it's working for me. 120cm or pure productivity area or a very wide fov on games that support ultrawide. thx for musing the idea @gamervivek

h0N1uN6.jpg

b48UyZQ.jpg

a couple of screengrabs, a photo from my phone to share how the screen looks using a 32:9 resolution, 3840x1080 (with black bars at the top and bottom of the central area).

the DF's video is playing at 4K, but the screen is soooo wide that it's placed in the central area. I am always using this resolution now, it saves a lot of energy 'cos most of the screen is black and it adds HUGE visibility. I was using dual 32" monitor until yesterday when I tried this, so from now I will be using a single 50" TV and it's working for me. 120cm or pure productivity area or a very wide fov on games that support ultrawide. thx for musing the idea @gamervivek

h0N1uN6.jpg

b48UyZQ.jpg
That's a cool setting. I assume it's reporting back to Windows as a 32:9 display so hopefully it will avoid all the issues with setting a custom resolution in Windows.

That's a cool setting. I assume it's reporting back to Windows as a 32:9 display so hopefully it will avoid all the issues with setting a custom resolution in Windows.
it does report back to Windows yes, no side effects whatsoever. If you set Game mode to 32:9, Windows recommends using 3840x1080 (best option, imho, 'cos both resolutions are native, given that the vertical resolution is exactly half of 2160 by using black bars, the image looks pristine). If you set the game mode resolution to 21:9, Windows recommends using 2560x1080 (the image looks a bit blurry 'cos the horizontal resolution is not native).

PC6t6TL.png

FIFA 23 running at 32:9 resolution, 3840x1080, when the ball is on the center of the field both goals can be seen. The HDR isn't tonemapped that's why the image looks like that.

3Q0oKpE.jpg

A good thing about this 32:9 resolution is that you can change the resolution to 3840x2160 or any other resolution the screen accepts just seamlessly.

@Cyan When I play fifa I make a custom resolution that's 21:9 to get an extended field. It letterboxes on my display, but it's worth it.
it normally is. Some games have a perfect 21:9, 32:9 implementation, like Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Other games seems to stretch the fov a little. For now I find playing at 32:9 much more appealing than playing at 16:9, once you get used to it and if the implementation in the game is good enough, it is very appealing. The main issue I have with it is that there is no alternative to reduce the resolution vertically and horizontally -like 1080p being multiple of 4K-, so I must play all the games that implement 32:9 at 3840x1080. which isn't very demanding but it's not like playing games at 1080p by any means. It's okay for my GPU but I always try to play in silence and games get more demanding..

Another game with excellent ultrawide support seems to be Halo Infinite.

I subscribed to this Scream Curator for Ultrawide games.

Where I don't find 32:9 or 21.9 practical is in games that I play with my nephews, which are feature local multiplayer via split screen (all of those I play are horizontal split screen with no setting to change it to vertical, alas...).

I gotta investigate this, but I think all those games that they love, like Rocket League or other racers I play with them don't have vertical split screen, which would be perfect. Also sometimes I play those games with them, and for 3 people, 16:9 imho might me much better to split the screen for 3 to 4 players.

Back