LG 27" 1440p 240Hz OLED

Are they? I've seen 32:9 models (too wide for me) but not spotted any 21:9's. Not that I've been specifically looking though.

Yep.....21:9.

The attached LG is 21:9 and others have models too but as OLED not cheap (Although I don't know what none OLED 21:9 monitors cost)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-02-15-14-20-24_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-02-15-14-20-24_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 8
Yep.....21:9.

The attached LG is 21:9 and others have models too but as OLED not cheap (Although I don't know what none OLED 21:9 monitors cost)

Looks great in some respects but that resolution for a screen of that size is pretty low. Also it doesn't seem to have proper HDR support so it would have to be a pass for me. I'm sure there will eventually be an OLED ultrawide that ticks all the boxes but I'm certainly in no rush for now.

Looks great in some respects but that resolution for a screen of that size is pretty low. Also it doesn't seem to have proper HDR support so it would have to be a pass for me. I'm sure there will eventually be an OLED ultrawide that ticks all the boxes but I'm certainly in no rush for now.
Alienware make one of the best QD-OLED 21:9 monitors available now. Highest reviewed OLED ultrawides out there from my research.

Alienware make one of the best QD-OLED 21:9 monitors available now. Highest reviewed OLED ultrawides out there from my research.

Cheers, unfortunately still too small and too low resolution for my requirements though. My current monitor is 38" at 3840x1600 so anything new would need to at least match that and preferably exceed it.

additionally, there is a new review of a 34" 3440x1440p 175Hz OLED monitor with Smart TV features, from Samsung in this case.

And the monitor stopped receiving a signal through display port so is once again on its way back.

This monitor has been more trouble than it's worth.

So I've been offered a refund for the LG OLED which gives me a few options

1. I can order another LG OLED and as it's now £150 cheaper than I paid I can have another one and save some cash

2. The Alienware OLED ultrawide is on offer for £789 (So £210 less than I paid for this LG OLED) - I've also never tried an ultra wide display so I'm curious 🤔

3. Buy a 'cheap' mini-LED monitor again with FALD and wait for the 4k OLED's to arrive and see what that does to the 1440p OLED prices

Last edited:
So I've been offered a refund for the LG OLED which gives me a few options

1. I can order another LG OLED and as it's not £150 cheaper than I paid I can have another one and save some cash

2. The Alienware OLED ultrawide is on offer for £789 (So £210 less than I paid for this LG OLED) - I've also never tried an ultra wide display so I'm curious 🤔

3. Buy a 'cheap' mini-LED monitor again with FALD and wait for the 4k OLED's to arrive and see what that does to the 1440p OLED prices

Like Malo said, no way I'd go back to 16:9 now.

That said, if the aspect ratio is not that big a deal for you, have you considered one of the smaller LG OLED TV's?

I've never understood why you would give up vertical height. The normal 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio just gives you much more screen real estate. I guess it must be a gamer versus productivity thing 😅

I've never understood why you would give up vertical height. The normal 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio just gives you much more screen real estate. I guess it must be a gamer versus productivity thing 😅

I think that's the wrong way to look at it. If you go ultrawide you should be going for a monitor of the same vertical height as what you would have got if you went with a 16:9 monitor.

So you're actually getting the same vertical with additional horizontal. That's how both Windows and games scale. You don't get the top and bottom of the screen cut off vs a 16:9 view, you see more at the sides.

In fact this is at least as useful if not moreso for productivity as the ability to have two decent sized windows side by side, or that additional horizontal on spreadsheets is a massive bonus.

EDIT: For example if you were thinking of a 1440p 27" 16:9, you should be getting a 3440x1440 34" ultrawide.

I think that's the wrong way to look at it. If you go ultrawide you should be going for a monitor of the same vertical height as what you would have got if you went with a 16:9 monitor.

So you're actually getting the same vertical with additional horizontal. That's how both Windows and games scale. You don't get the top and bottom of the screen cut off vs a 16:9 view, you see more at the sides.

In fact this is at least as useful if not moreso for productivity as the ability to have two decent sized windows side by side, or that additional horizontal on spreadsheets is a massive bonus.

EDIT: For example if you were thinking of a 1440p 27" 16:9, you should be getting a 3440x1440 34" ultrawide.
I see them as cut in half monitors :p

A normal 4K monitor would give you more pixels and probably much cheaper as well.

I'll admit I prefer high PPI monitors running at 200% scaling.

In that case I would definitely go ultra wide (34") You won't look back.

I've had a quick drive to PC World to check out an ultra wide as I've never actually seen one in person (And I've never seen a VA monitor in person either)

A side from not being able to see it running an actual game because none of the computers were working (The store manager was pissed when the young-ens told him this) I did like the aspect ratio so it's something to think about.

The VA smear however was god damn horrendous, I've seen videos showing it but actually seeing it person, it looked dreadful.

So I'm definitely staying away from VA.

I've had a quick drive to PC World to check out an ultra wide as I've never actually seen one in person (And I've never seen a VA monitor in person either)

A side from not being able to see it running an actual game because none of the computers were working (The store manager was pissed when the young-ens told him this) I did like the aspect ratio so it's something to think about.

The VA smear however was god damn horrendous, I've seen videos showing it but actually seeing it person, it looked dreadful.

So I'm definitely staying away from VA.

VA panels can have pretty slow response in dark levels. I have a samsung g7 odyssey 27" and I don't notice any issues in dark smearing, but I think it's an outlier and the display has had a lot of other issues where I wouldn't recommend samsung overall.

Back