LG 27" 1440p 240Hz OLED

Is burn in a solved problem ?

I would like to know the answer to this too.

This year's CES has made a big push towards OLED being touted as the high end of PC monitors. Articles and videos talk about how this year's OLEDs address a major weakness and concern...brightness 😒.

Seriously though, with the many static elements on screen have there been any new technologies placed within these monitors to greatly mitigate image retention? Or are we just too deep into consumerism that manufacturers aren't addressing the issue in expectation of us purchasing new displays every 3-4 years.

Have there been any advancements that I am unaware of?

@The-Nastiest

There has been a vast number of improvement over the years and brought up and listed. The largest improvements were from the initial launch in 2016 through 2019 (LG B6 through the LG C9). I haven't seen much explicitly called out to assist with burn-in other than the auto-dimming functionality if it detects static-ish content. I'm not even sure if having a heatsink on the panel like the top-ends now have is to help with burn-in or just allow for higher overshoots to hit brighter brights.

However, all those OLED sets are mostly aimed at entertainment use and not Desktop / PC Monitors.

Here's what was initially said about the 2016 through 2019 OLED burn-in improvements (latest repost of the info I could find):

@The-Nastiest

There has been a vast number of improvement over the years and brought up and listed. The largest improvements were from the initial launch in 2016 through 2019 (LG B6 through the LG C9). I haven't seen much explicitly called out to assist with burn-in other than the auto-dimming functionality if it detects static-ish content. I'm not even sure if having a heatsink on the panel like the top-ends now have is to help with burn-in or just allow for higher overshoots to hit brighter brights.

However, all those OLED sets are mostly aimed at entertainment use and not Desktop / PC Monitors.

Here's what was initially said about the 2016 through 2019 OLED burn-in improvements (latest repost of the info I could find):

Thank you for the response.

I will continue to do research on OLED panels for actual desktop use as CES 2023 has brought a ton of different companies releasing multiple models of OLEDs specific to PC use.

I will continue to do research on OLED panels for actual desktop use as CES 2023 has brought a ton of different companies releasing multiple models of OLEDs specific to PC use.

Do share your finding with us.

It almost seems like they don't even want to bring up the potential issue of "burn-in", so they won't even list or explain what advances or improvements have been made. :( I still have concerns over OLED for desktop, but no idea if it's legit concern or they have it covered by now.

this video might be helpful, some exciting stuff ahead

I got a 4K TV just to have a bit of everything and my future display in a few years -3 or 4- is going to be another monitor. For now I have a 1440p 165Hz Freesync Premium Pro monitor which I am happy with, and the TV of course, so I am not in a hurry.

My 2020 LG OLED have shown zero signs of burn-in and my son have played hundreds and hundreds of hours of Minecraft with static UI on it and other games like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild with equal amounts of static UI.

I control the lightning in the room so while gaming the brightness is limited to 60% with the calibrated picture mode "Expert (Dark Room)". That's still ridiculously bright.

Those that are experiencing burn-in have probably not taken any precautions or got a bad panel.

The new 240 Hz oled monitors with the lg panel have heat sinks to prevent image retention as well as new MLA panels that are more energy efficient. The basically lowered light loss with a reflective layer so there should be less heat, energy for the same brightness. I’m theory this all means less potential for burn in.

Qd-oled is also supposed to be more efficient lowering the risk of burn in.

I’m still worried about the risk. I definitely would hide the taskbar and desktop icons. I wouldn’t use a static background, or I’d just use a black background. I’d never leave windows pinned in the same areas on the screen.

The biggest factor in OLED burn-in at this point is going to be expectations in terms of life span and "burn in" (as in how sensitive to it you are going to be).

The former especially is where I see a very large discrepancy in terms of how people view the issue of burn in. The reality is that average display/TV replacement cycles are supposedly in the 7/8 year type range. Of course those that are effectively treating displays as disposables (as in okay with replacing them in 3 years or so if not less) versus those that are looking at a 7-8 lifespan if not longer (I have displays in active use over 10 years old even) will have differing opinions on what it actually means to worry or not worry about burn in.

This is especially pertinent as OLED displays are still on the more expensive side and priced on the luxury side of the product scale. Combined with their display quality characteristics buyers are hoping for basically an "end game" type product, but it might not serve as such due to lifespan.

What may effectively actually resolve the OLED burn in issue is cost and therefore price reductions turning it into an actual commodity display as opposed to a luxury type of displays. Long run manufacturing iterations and economy of scale build up (plus IP cost's going down) in theory should allow OLED to actually be cheaper to produce (and ship) than LCD displays. When that occurs and pricing (from competition factors) are driven to LCD levels or lower than the burn in issue becomes a manageable concern at least financially, much like how it is with Smartphones these days (which are treated as disposables).

I own a 2021 gen LG OLED tv and love the screen (except for the fact I should have gone bigger) to bits and wouldn't worry at all about burn in. I do believe the software is able by now to compensate for burn in by introducing slight changes to the static portions of the screen. The most "stressfull" thing I do is watch many many hours of streamed competive Age of Empires II content, which has a fair ammount of static overlays .

For desktop use, maybe I would hesitate going for OLED if I'd know I 'd typically have the taskbar visible for 10-12 hours a day or something. And of course if the room gets moderate or higher ammounts of daylight. Otherwise I see no reason to not have moar OLED awesomness

I’m still worried about the risk. I definitely would hide the taskbar and desktop icons. I wouldn’t use a static background, or I’d just use a black background. I’d never leave windows pinned in the same areas on the screen.

If you'd have to do all that then it definitely wouldn't be worth it IMO.

The biggest factor in OLED burn-in at this point is going to be expectations in terms of life span and "burn in" (as in how sensitive to it you are going to be).

The former especially is where I see a very large discrepancy in terms of how people view the issue of burn in. The reality is that average display/TV replacement cycles are supposedly in the 7/8 year type range. Of course those that are effectively treating displays as disposables (as in okay with replacing them in 3 years or so if not less) versus those that are looking at a 7-8 lifespan if not longer (I have displays in active use over 10 years old even) will have differing opinions on what it actually means to worry or not worry about burn in.

This is especially pertinent as OLED displays are still on the more expensive side and priced on the luxury side of the product scale. Combined with their display quality characteristics buyers are hoping for basically an "end game" type product, but it might not serve as such due to lifespan.

What may effectively actually resolve the OLED burn in issue is cost and therefore price reductions turning it into an actual commodity display as opposed to a luxury type of displays. Long run manufacturing iterations and economy of scale build up (plus IP cost's going down) in theory should allow OLED to actually be cheaper to produce (and ship) than LCD displays. When that occurs and pricing (from competition factors) are driven to LCD levels or lower than the burn in issue becomes a manageable concern at least financially, much like how it is with Smartphones these days (which are treated as disposables).

I don't know if I've ever seen a reviewer track the peak brightness of an oled over time. They basically hide burn-in (changes in brightness) but lowering the peak brightness of the brightest pixels down to the brightness of the dimmest pixels over time. At least that's how I understand it. They basically hide burn-in by evening out the pixel degradation over time.

I personally want my displays to have that 8 year life span, or more, so I definitely have more concern about burn-in

If you'd have to do all that then it definitely wouldn't be worth it IMO.

It may be overkill, but if I bought an oled as a monitor I wouldn't be taking chances. On a tv I'd be far less concerned because I watch varied content. Unless you watch news channels all day that have their logos and banners in the same place on the screen, it shouldn't be that much of a problem. Gaming on a tv is where I'd be more concerned.

I've been using a LG CX as my primary monitor on my PC for a while now. It's used about 8-10 hours a day with no sign of burn in.

I do take precautions, however. Taskbar is located on the secondary monitor as are any desktop icons. I periodically manually move window positions so that they aren't in danger of being in the same place for 10's of hours. I have Windows display a black screen via Screensaver after 5 minutes of no user input/activity.

I game and work on it. Since I detest playing games fullscreen, I always play them in a window and it's easy to just have the game window in a different location everytime I decide to play a game. So there's never a situation for me where a pathologically bad situation for OLED pixels will be in the same place long enough to cause burn-in.

Most of the reports I've seen for burn in is people using it for work and doing multiple things that make things worse. Full screen work applications with static and bright menus combined with disabling auto-dimming and then also turning up the brightness of their set.

Auto dimming is a minor annoyance but I leave it on as it's a reminder that if I've been leaving something "bad" (bright static image, for example) in the same place for 10's of hours, I should probably move it somewhere else for a bit. :p It's easy enough to bring back the normal brightness just by moving a high contrast window around. It can be annoying in games that are predominantly dark with little changes in

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
@Silent_Buddha I imagine dark mode is probably a good choice on an oled. Putting desktop icons and taskbar on a secondary monitor is a pretty nice way of handling it. Dual OLEDs is probably rare ;) I have a colorimeter and I set my display to about 120 nits. I'm honestly surprised by how many people actually set their displays to like 200, 300, 400 nits in dim rooms. I have no idea how they even have retinas.

@Silent_Buddha I imagine dark mode is probably a good choice on an oled. Putting desktop icons and taskbar on a secondary monitor is a pretty nice way of handling it. Dual OLEDs is probably rare ;) I have a colorimeter and I set my display to about 120 nits. I'm honestly surprised by how many people actually set their displays to like 200, 300, 400 nits in dim rooms. I have no idea how they even have retinas.
depends on the person, I always play in dark rooms. The HDR on my TV -and monitor, although not as pronounced- can be very bright but it's not that annoying, maybe it's just that I am used to it. A colleague of mine who studied with me during the afternoon a few years ago, couldn't stand the brightness of typical PC monitors for work -nothing spectacular, just cheap 25" to 27" panels provided by our school to work on-, but despite he was 24 years old his eyes were very sensitive to brightness that he set it to something like 20 -out of 100- or even less. It looked too dim for me, but to each its own. Then another student from a different class would come and set it to the default value again.

Do share your finding with us.

It almost seems like they don't even want to bring up the potential issue of "burn-in", so they won't even list or explain what advances or improvements have been made. :( I still have concerns over OLED for desktop, but no idea if it's legit concern or they have it covered by now.
My B7 still going strong!
But if you are the type that watches news with those dashboards on 24/7. Your set is toast.

Having said that, Destiny came close to burning in. My health and abilities bar bottom left was starting to burn in. But it’s gone now

My B7 still going strong!
But if you are the type that watches news with those dashboards on 24/7. Your set is toast.

Having said that, Destiny came close to burning in. My health and abilities bar bottom left was starting to burn in. But it’s gone now

Play in a window and periodically (like every few hours or once each time you start the game up) move the window to a different location. :)

Yup, I have both a dark theme and just solid black for my desktop background. Luckily I'm not the type that likes colorful and busy desktop wallpaper.

Regards,
SB

Back