LEGO Worlds [PC, Steam Early Access]

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend

LEGO Universe, failing partly because the 'dong detection' software part of it proved amazingly expensive, just got a single player version in the shape of LEGO Worlds. I didn't even know about that project to my own shame, as this is something I've always wanted to see and have, and now I don't know whether to be happy or sad, though I'm thinking mostly sad.

Anyway, this sounds like the next best thing. Released on Steam Early access right along with the first announcement of the title is a nice surprise and can become an interesting trend (we've seen it happen a few times now), and it was a no-brainer for me to get immediately, considering that my son is just starting to get into Minecraft and is a complete LEGO nut.

Wondered when LEGO would get off their ass and make this. Took them long enough, with a lot of potential sales already lost to Minecraft.

I don't think 1 Minecraft sale = 1 lost LEGO sale. Still it is odd they didn't do something like this until now.

So I had another look at this recently, and it's starting to get somewhere. On PC there is already multiplayer and they just started to support the PS4 gamepad natively. It's really just plug that in and it works right away, so kudos there, with split screen support for another player with keyboard mouse worked great for me. The menus are much better now (they got rid of the rather slow and screen filling menu they had before) and building something is now very intuitive. They only thing that remains slightly tricky now is when you are adding blocks to the underside of something you already built - it will sometimes snap to the top block, and then you have to go back down from there. But otherwise it works great, you can build something, and then do something I really wish minecraft had - select the area around it, copy it and save it as a new object, which can then be pasted at will including in other areas.

All in all this is shaping up great, and when it does finally come out for consoles, I can definitely see this as a great alternative to Minecraft.

Actual version of multiplayer is just local split screen. They are still working on online multiplayer.
That's even more interesting IMO. Split-screen on PC is sorely ignored by almost every dev even if it's available on console versions.

The good thing about split screen on the p.c is you can create a 2 monitor eyefinity / nv surround group and give each player their own monitor

Back