Left 4 Dead (multiplat)

Strange. I seem to have somehow missed all these 60 fps games the industry is forcing upon itself...

There certainly is a pro 60-FPS slant out there on message boards though, and I'm with Lombardi, I'd rather see 30 and improved visuals.

Although Left4Dead is certainly an archaic title visually imo. The Source engine is very dated.

So is anyone playing the demo? I'm looking forward to this one, but I just might push it out to 2009.

Has there been much talk about how the single-player in the game works? I've heard it's a co-op treat, but I usually find it tough to find online matches of decent quality in Australia. I'd hate to have a game which is a letdown for solo play.

Played through the demo twice with random people. It's a lot of fun and intense! This was only buy list already but demo confirms it.

Are you kidding? There are tons of amazing games hitting the PC at the moment. This had better be damned good to stand out.

It's still a Valve game, on PC, that's what I meant. It's their home turf. On 360 you have titles with bigger name recognition on the platform, like CoD:WaW or GeoW2, and both of those have 'survival modes'. CoD even has zombies.

I played with the bots, maybe it's better with friends. It seems kind of one dimensional, run around shoot masses of zombies. Some are "special" and have names. I'm not a fan of survival horror to begin with so that's one strike. It definitely looks like a Source game.

I didn't dig how you went from no zombies to fifty in two seconds, are these undead Olympic sprinters??

I played with the bots, maybe it's better with friends. It seems kind of one dimensional, run around shoot masses of zombies. Some are "special" and have names. I'm not a fan of survival horror to begin with so that's one strike. It definitely looks like a Source game.

I didn't dig how you went from no zombies to fifty in two seconds, are these undead Olympic sprinters??
:LOL: I saw DrJay24 posted in this thread and thought "oh, maybe he's found a game he doesn't complain about". Guess this one wasn't it :p

I downloaded the demo. Pretty freaky. I probably would have enjoyed it more with a friend or two, but not too bad. Not sure I'll buy it though. I've got other games on my plate at the moment. Plus, I was hoping it would have been more like Doom 3.

Tommy McClain

:LOL: I saw DrJay24 posted in this thread and thought "oh, maybe he's found a game he doesn't complain about". Guess this one wasn't it :p

yea, Dr, Jay, you are a tough critic (or is it cynic :p)

As for this game, I really enjoyed the opening cinematic and then played some intense action with bots but it was MUCH more fun with live people and I could imagine a great game with friends where you actually feel like you are working together to "stay alive!" that's where the addiction would come from. Kind of like Horde mode in GoW2.

Graphics are nice framerate astonishingly smooth and tons of intense action. I see this as a must buy, but damn, just too many games on my plate at the moment.

I played the demo, only through Live! and really can't imagine how the experience with 3 AI bots would even be slightly rewarding.

I played a couple times, some with people who frequently talked and others who stayed completely silent the entire game, and in both cases there was a sense of comaraderie formed quickly even through the demo because of the need to work together to rescue each other, pull each other up, etc. It goes way beyond just being able to heal each other like other squad games have had.

Quite frankly, all the criticisms Jay has are explained by the fact he doesn't like survival horror games. I'd assume he doesn't like zombie movies, either. The going from ZERO threat to being OVERWHELMED is really the entire point.

I'm curious as to how, if at all, the story will develop. For example, will there be one? Or.. what is the witch and why are we supposed to be quiet? Are we supposed to avoid the witches or kill them?

I think this game would be great played with some friends, it was certainly fun enough playing with people I didn't know. I'd think playing with AI bots would be dull, emotionless, and superficial to the point where this game shouldn't be considered to have a single player component.

Quite frankly, all the criticisms Jay has are explained by the fact he doesn't like survival horror games. I'd assume he doesn't like zombie movies, either. The going from ZERO threat to being OVERWHELMED is really the entire point.

Ya, I just don't like the games where it is always dark and doom is always lurking. It's kind of depressing. I don't even like the dark levels in LBP. That's one reason I had a hard time getting into RE4, the one survival horror game I bought based on reviews. I like 4 player co-op, so maybe I should give it a try online with a friend or two. I just wish there were some sunny levels :D

The demo was INTENSE, love the spaced-out piano notes (made me think of Halloween the movie).

My wife was watching me play and she was all balled-up and cringing like she does sometimes when we watch a horror flick. The game really captures the feel of a Romero horror movie. The AI bots were mostly intelligent from what I played and the opening cinematic really set the tone. Yet another game I'm going to have to shell out for--why can't money grow on trees?:cry:

Fantastic. The "AI director" is pretty good. Played through a few sections more than once and we got different spawns each time. Kept us on our toes, for sure.

Beat it on Advanced with 2 and 3 guys. Expert .... what an ass kicking. I feel like a mouse and keyboard might make it more manageable, but god damn is it hard. Every room has a few different entrance points, so you can't really barricade yourself in. Plus, if you sit back to long the AI decides to throw huge waves or bosses at you to convince you to move. If you move too fast you seem to run into danger and can't recover. There's a fine balance between holding fort and moving to the next room or area. You definitely can't sit back and pick off the zombies ahead until all is clear. You'll just end up getting attacked from behind, above, below by a wave. And I really mean wave on expert. The push/punch is your friend, but there are too many. And you die fast, get knocked down easily on expert. Friendly fire is also deadly on expert. I think that's the way I'd like to play it. I kind of wish there was a difficulty between advanced and expert. Advanced is hard, but I know in a few tries we can do it. Expert seems impossible.

There are some pretty nice things, like if one person wants to "Take a break" they can have a bot play in their place until they're ready to come back.

Back