Last of Us spoilers

Edit: My favourite part of the game is when they met and team up with Bill.

Yeah, Bill is an awesome character. My favourite friendly NPC. Another favourite part: when you play as Ellie and hunt the deer...this was just...wtf, is Joel dead? Really? And it was creepy as hell when David told her the story about a man and a little girl butchering his man a couple of days ago...tense!

Was it really just a couple of days ago? Considering how Joel was still drawing breath it kinda must've been (that wasn't the kind of injury you could survive for weeks without some fom of treatment), but that was certainly one hell of an abrupt weather change.

Either way, my favorite part was controlling Ellie (who, quite unlike Joel, is smart enough to carry a knife), probably because Hanna is one of my all-time favorite movies. It was also genuinely exciting to play and had my favorite self-contained mini storyline. Also made me appreciate the bow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it really just a couple of days ago? Considering how Joel was still drawing breath it kinda must've been (that wasn't the kind of injury you could survive for weeks without some fom of treatment), but that was certainly one hell of an abrupt wheather change.

Which part?

Yeah he rested from autumn to winter. Ellie's segments are my second favourite. Loved the bow. Joel sucked at it. And yes, a Ginsu knife that doesn't break is a godsend.

I used a bow to kill a bloater later, which was satisfying (Threw Molotov at it from far).

Joel telling Ellie what he had done to the firefly is bad bad bad idea. Not to mention what he did to Marlene who looked after Ellie for a long time.

Yep, Ellie might cut him.

Yeah he rested from autumn to winter.

Kind of hard to swallow given his condition, but then it's not exactly the only time you really have to suspend your disbelief. The chances of brain surgery not being an automatic death sentence are probably quite good when you have a medical facility and some proper doctors around. (which they did)

The chances of brain surgery not being an automatic death sentence are probably quite good when you have a medical facility and some proper doctors around. (which they did)
I thought the explanation was that the infection was spread throughout her brain? If it was isolated like a tumour near the skull, perhaps they could have done a minimal biopsy and worked from that but I remember the x-ray picture of a patient at UCF and the infection was throughout the brain. Ellie's ability to resist/suppress the infection it probably meant it didn't spread in a way that made it easy to remove.

Interesting to read some people said they shot the doctor, or that he pulled a gun. I approached him and he brandished what I think was a scalpel and my melee attack resulted in that plunging into his neck.

Why is the game called 'The Last of Us'?

I think it's in the plural and it means the last of humanity - the ones who can deal with life after the end of the world as we know it. But there's a lot more that each and every player can add to it, like to the main characters the other one is the last of the people closest to them...

It did seem like they were setting her up to be the main character for a sequel... They may have some good ideas for the story though.

I think it's in the plural and it means the last of humanity - the ones who can deal with life after the end of the world as we know it. But there's a lot more that each and every player can add to it, like to the main characters the other one is the last of the people closest to them...

Hm, makes sense.

I imagine a Last of Us 2 with Ellie...

Grown up Ellie? I hope not...would be Lara Croft vibes...

Girl Ellie, like the part in the snowy woods...+1!

Although, at the monent, I really am not sure if I like a sequel with either Joel and Ellie...maybe other characters? 'The adventures of Bill' or something completely new.

Laa-Yosh, btw...do you know how they did the facial animations in this game?

They were keyframing it manually, based on witness camera footage from the mocap stage. Lots of work but the results are really nice.

The characters were using a FACS-based animation rig. It's pretty much a standard in the CG industry and games are catching up quickly now. The only difference is that the PS3 doesn't have enough memory for a completely blendshape based rig, so they were emulating it with a bones rig.

I hope they'll just do something new instead. Not everything needs a sequel.

Yeah... I'm not sure what they'd do for a new game. "More of the same" would be disappointing. Taking it open-world might be neat although there are at least two other franchises doing that with zombies (Dead Rising 3, State of Decay).

Co-op would have been nice...

Don't expect ND to start yet another new IP. There's that documentary about this game (removed from YT by now, I think you need to buy it?) and they talk a lot about how many things they had to figure out.
They originally did not want to have infected people in the game, they should have just died - but that way the player would not have had to face the direct effects during the game. So they needed the Infected, then they had to spend a lot of time figuring out how they should look like, how they should behave.
Then there was a lot of research on how nature would take over the cities, what would happen if canals aren't drained and how it would ruin buildings and flood streets. Or research on survival, how and what to make from what components and using which tools.
In short, developing this game involved a lot of extra work, in particular the world building and finding the art direction using lots of saturated colors and beautiful environments which goes against most post-apocalyptic settings I've seen, except maybe I am Legend.

So Naughty Dog can now do Jak&Daxter, Uncharted and Last of Us games for the PS4, why would they need more? It makes every kind of sense to capitalize on this IP pool, instead of investing another 1-2 extra years on developing something new and then the "standard" time of developing a nextgen game. And from the above, the world of Last of Us has the most left to explore, compared to yet another Drake adventure...

Back