Last of Us spoilers

Cool, so I would suggest that everything can be posted without spoiler tags, so people who haven't finished the game should be warned!

Already the beginning is tough stuff imo. I can't remember a little child getting shot in a game...but especially the dying scene is really emotional!

But this really sets the mood of the game...serious stuff to come. Also shows why Joel is the way he is...breathtaking beginning!

Edit: I tagged my stuff...not sure if it works and is ok to have a pure spoiler thread. I'll wait until a mod approves this thread!! So please mighty mods, is it ok?

Why not just tell her the truth?

END GAME SPOILERS

That's a very hard truth to tell. Especially to someone so young and idealistic. For better or worse, so long as she's alive there's still hope (therein the risk Joel took).

However, despite the risk of Joel's "solution" the Firefly's entire notion of, fuck it, lets just pull a live culture from her that will kill her even though we've only had her for all of day to do other testing is a ridiculous half hearted quick fix solution. Unfortunately, that's an entirely plausible scenario and perhaps even likely given how people can be sometimes. :LOL: Particularly given the situation they're in. IMO, Joel was right to do what he did. Their solution was too risky, failure was completely permanent, and they were too quick to jump to that.

Do we have to still use spoiler tag in a spoiler thread?
By the way, Bill is awesome, and Ellie is a complete badass.
I didn't even know Bill was gay until someone explained it to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
^It may be a very likely scenario, but any justification you can come up with strikes me as rather meaningless because that is clearly not the reason why Joel did what he did in the end. He grew to love that girl and he wasn't gonna lose her no matter the cost. There were no altruistic motives at all. He lied to her because he knew that unlike him, she was willing to pay the ultimate price and would have never forgiven him for the selfish (yet perfectly understandable) decision he made.

^It may be a very likely scenario, but any justification you can come up with strikes me as rather meaningless because that is clearly not the reason why Joel did what he did in the end. He grew to love that girl and he wasn't gonna lose her no matter the cost. There were no altruistic motives at all. He lied to her because he knew that unlike him, she was willing to pay the ultimate price and would have never forgiven him for the selfish (yet perfectly understandable) decision he made.

Agreed, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. His motivations were very clear. But the results of his actions, IMO, have a far lower risk than the Firefly's plan.

Marlene didn't even disclose to Ellie what the plan was. If she was so sure "that's what Ellie would have wanted", then why not tell her and be honest about it ("oh btw, the procedure is going to kill you")? Marlene's no saint in this regard.

Marlene didn't even disclose to Ellie what the plan was. If she was so sure "that's what Ellie would have wanted", then why not tell her and be honest about it ("oh btw, the procedure is going to kill you")? Marlene's no saint in this regard.

Theres an audio recorder you can find in the hospital, Marlene talked a bit more about the decision and to Ellie's dead mother Ann and Joel.

Well, my point is that she didn't tell Ellie. A life/death decision was made without her informed consent.

Ending the game with a lie between Joel and Ellie, felt both wrong and right at the same time. I can't recall Joel lying to Ellie previously; if anything he was brutally honest, but I think it fit well with what the two had been through and how Joel felt about Ellie.

Remembering just before the two went into the hospital, when Ellie and Joel were watching the giraffes, Joel suggests that they just skip out and Ellie explains why she has to do this (although not knowing that this means death) given their sacrifices and the loss of Tess, Sam and Henry to get her where she is. To me, she was the kind of person who would have volunteered, without knowing what the odds were. I think that Joel felt it was less lying about what he did than sparing Ellie the anguish of possibly being humanity's last great hope and taking the pressure off her, so she could live her life as best she possibly could. At least that's what I took away from it.

I was shocked at the end of Fall, I actually thought they'd killed Joel and it was only when Ellie asked creepy Dave for anti-biotics that I realised he was still alive. It was definitely nice playing Ellie for a while and, if they could write a great story, I'd definitely like to revisit Ellie although it did feel a little reminiscent of the Tomb Raider reboot, awesome game though that was.

Already the beginning is tough stuff imo. I can't remember a little child getting shot in a game...but especially the dying scene is really emotional!

But this really sets the mood of the game...serious stuff to come. Also shows why Joel is the way he is...breathtaking beginning!

Edit: I tagged my stuff...not sure if it works and is ok to have a pure spoiler thread. I'll wait until a mod approves this thread!! So please mighty mods, is it ok?
Ya the beginning was nicely done... set the mood for the game perfectly.

Ending the game with a lie between Joel and Ellie, felt both wrong and right at the same time. I can't recall Joel lying to Ellie previously; if anything he was brutally honest, but I think it fit well with what the two had been through and how Joel felt about Ellie.

Remembering just before the two went into the hospital, when Ellie and Joel were watching the giraffes, Joel suggests that they just skip out and Ellie explains why she has to do this (although not knowing that this means death) given their sacrifices and the loss of Tess, Sam and Henry to get her where she is. To me, she was the kind of person who would have volunteered, without knowing what the odds were. I think that Joel felt it was less lying about what he did than sparing Ellie the anguish of possibly being humanity's last great hope and taking the pressure off her, so she could live her life as best she possibly could. At least that's what I took away from it.

I was shocked at the end of Fall, I actually thought they'd killed Joel and it was only when Ellie asked creepy Dave for anti-biotics that I realised he was still alive. It was definitely nice playing Ellie for a while and, if they could write a great story, I'd definitely like to revisit Ellie although it did feel a little reminiscent of the Tomb Raider reboot, awesome game though that was.

Joel would lie to Ellie like what a parent would do, they weren't as close as first even after the part where they meet up Tommy. he clearly stated that he is not his dad. Then after the University part, what a 14 years old would do for him, he knew that he can't loose her and their related gotten a lot closer. Then theres the drowning part, Ellie can't swim and still risk her life to jump into the current and open the door to save Joel.

Joel would lie to Ellie like what a parent would do, they weren't as close as first even after the part where they meet up Tommy. he clearly stated that he is not his dad. Then after the University part, what a 14 years old would do for him, he knew that he can't loose her and their related gotten a lot closer. Then theres the drowning part, Ellie can't swim and still risk her life to jump into the current and open the door to save Joel.
I tried writing something to that effect in my post but it sounded naff so I removed it. I'm not a parent, but this reflect my sentiments exactly. Adults/parents sometimes have to lie to protect children, and this is exactly where I thought Joel was coming from.

And yeah, at the Tommy's hydroelectric dam, Joel appeared ready to hand responsibility for Ellie over, although I'm not certain if the 'she's better off with Tommy as he knows the area' was really how he felt, but anyway. After the events at UCF, partiuclarly Ellie saving Joel's life, things irreversibly changed.

It's a testament to ND's storytelling that I felt it too. After Dave captured Ellie, all I wanted to do with cave his head in with a pipe :oops: Ditto, at the end when it cuts back to Marlene, having been shot and begging for her life, I was yelling at the TV, "SHOOT HER IN THE HEAD!". Maybe I'm nuts :-? I can't say I care for game NPCs, Bioshock Infinite's Elizabeth was a standout, but Ellie is in a different class altogether. Maybe it's because she is 14 and protecting kids is hardwired into all of us.

Yes, fully agree...at the end, he did get over the lost of his daughter, he started to talk about them going hiking...why did he come over with it? Because he has a new daughter...and he does everything, a father needs does...and, he really can't lose a loved one again.

You cannot take such a burden on a kid. You say...you have to die, or mankind will...that is nit fair imo.

ND really portrait the relationship of those two perfectly imo, and especially the journey Joel went through: From grumpy ol man, that did not want to even take the mission, to a dutiful grown ip feeling responsible for the girl, but especially for mankind, to someone that realizes Ellie gets to close to his heart and getting angry/afraid about it shouting 'you are not my daughter', to someone who starting to love her, gives everything for her and silently accepted her as his new daughter up to throwing all his ideals, all hope for mankind over board just that she lives...

Oh fuck, you guys remember the part, where Joel falls down the elevator and has to get back to Ellie, where you need to find the ID card and start the generator...man, this part was soooo creepy!!

By mistake, I did it the right way: I just went up as I overlooked the generator, I found the ID and killed the hunters just staying in this room...I new the level, got back and found the generator...after this I could basically run through...still creepy as hell!!

Back