Laptop CPU underclock problem

green.pixel

Veteran
The CPU is constantly running at 1.2GHz (that's what CoreTemp is showing me) no matter what the load is. The only time I've seen it run at full speed is when WinSAT kicked in. BIOS shows the default 2.2GHz, but I can't seem to access the setup page. It says "All items in this menu cannot be modified in user mode. If any items require changes, please contact your system Supervisor". I've tried with setting Supervisor password both on and off, nothing changes.

Temp. is fine. Last week, when the daily temps were around 35 and higher, at idle it's been around 40-45C and rarely goes above 50C no matter what I do since I can't fully stress it.

Any ideas? It's Lenovo G550 and C2D T6600.

When WinSAT kicks in the power plan changes. Maybe the current power plan has a limit on CPU performance? Maximum processor state under advanced settings->processor power management.

install intel extreme tuner or throttlestop

see what is limiting the clock (intel extreme tuner have easier to understand message)

When WinSAT kicks in the power plan changes. Maybe the current power plan has a limit on CPU performance? Maximum processor state under advanced settings->processor power management.

Thanks, it was at 75%. Still, it should've gone up by a couple of hundreds.

install intel extreme tuner or throttlestop

see what is limiting the clock (intel extreme tuner have easier to understand message)

Installation says it's an unsupported platform. Intel's site says it's only for K- and X- CPUs.

Thanks, it was at 75%. Still, it should've gone up by a couple of hundreds.

Installation says it's an unsupported platform. Intel's site says it's only for K- and X- CPUs.

cant you just force it? Im using Intel Core i5 Y series and Intel Celeron blahblahblah and it working fine.

you also can use Throttlestop. No need for instalation. But it have too many weird terms (BLK, TP, blah blah)

Yikes then throttlestop is the only alternative.

That if it can support the old CPU.

Post the screenshot here when it throttled and I'll try to see it. Hopefully some meaning can be got

The Core 2 Mobile platforms were supported by RMclock, an excellent utility for forcing both VID and multiplier of the SpeedStep generation of mobile CPU's. I used this utility on all of my Core / Core 2 laptops with excellent results for both undervolting as well as maintaining clock speed.

http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

You'll have to set the Windows power setting to "100%" before using this utility.

Back