L.A. Noire from Rockstar

I'd take the facial animation/capture in L.A. Noire over the facial animation in any other game, period. Of course, that's just judging from the previews we've seen, but I don't doubt the quality of the released product will be the same.

"Story-wise, the game’s about the same length as two full seasons of a TV show, so there’s ample space in there to develop a rich, lush plot which of course makes use of what was going on at the time in LA."

That is a surprising length for the game, even if they were to go BBC series vs American network series in terms of time.
Note that they didn't say that the game is going to be as long as two seasons of television.

Now take into account that actual story and character development is probably like 20% of a season at most, with the rest consisting of fillers, unnecessary exposition and fluff.
Hell some shows could have two full seasons distilled down to a single episode (or less) without loosing anything significant...

But even then, five hours of story plus other game-play elements doesn't sound half bad. ;)

Note that they didn't say that the game is going to be as long as two seasons of television.

Now take into account that actual story and character development is probably like 20% of a season at most, with the rest consisting of fillers, unnecessary exposition and fluff.
Hell some shows could have two full seasons distilled down to a single episode (or less) without loosing anything significant...

But even then, five hours of story plus other game-play elements doesn't sound half bad. ;)

I don't know. My interpretation of the quote is different. I'm expecting the game to be reasonably long. I'm not expecting anything like fifty hours, but I think it'll definitely be over 10 hours, and probably over 20 hours.

I was half joking, and I do expect this one to be quite strong in terms of story. Actual longevity, I'm guessing, will be determined by the quality of the other gameplay elements (and replay incentive). I mean, you could reasonably have applied the quote above to Mafia II, but for genre veterans that was probably a ~12 hour game with story elements (good as they were) taking up half that time.

gameplay reveal should be up any minute

in the mean time here is a YT of a preview showing gameplay..facial animation in general is outstanding

That is some really impressive facial animation.

Wow...

Also, it's interesting that this is the PS3 version they're showing. Usually it's the other way around.

Looks effin fantastic. Hopefully the story will do the tech justice. Glad to be playing a R* game where the protagonist seems to be likable for a change (or at least someone whoes actions aren't constantly add odds with his character)

http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/

Latest gameplay trailer is up. Aside from an inconsistent framerate, this looks terrific! Portal 2 has shown that if you have voice acting on par with films, the game can be elevated up a notch.

Alright, color me impressed. This face capture technology has me convinced - it works, and it's a huge improvement over what we've seen so far in any other game.

http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/

Latest gameplay trailer is up. Aside from an inconsistent framerate, this looks terrific! Portal 2 has shown that if you have voice acting on par with films, the game can be elevated up a notch.
I believe this point was well demonstrated multiple times long before Portal 2 - Most notably with Rockstar's own GTA series.

Portal is actually on the other (and very extreme) side of the scale: the Voice acting is indeed top notch, but the entire game direction relies on no cut-scenes and zero character interactivity.

(Trailer looks awesome BTW)

I believe this point was well demonstrated multiple times long before Portal 2 - Most notably with Rockstar's own GTA series.

I think the writing in most R* games is actually not good at all. Drunken Irishmen? Hillbilly grave digger with bad teeth who is also a necrophiliac? Just about every single Mexican in RDR? Borderline idiotic and hypocritical main characters? There certainly are some shining moments, like Bonny Mcfarlane, but most R* characters are nothing more than walking cliches. Also, R* stories tend to not go anywhere. They start off well enough, but then they usually just wither and die.

Back