Kyle throws a [H]issy fit about CrossFire shipping late

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a proverbial sentence that says "Those who plant winds, gathers Storms".
If ATI hadn't screwed up none of this fuss would be discussed.
Thumbs up for NVidia they won this round imo.

doob said:
There's a proverbial sentence that says "Those who plant winds, gathers Storms".
If ATI hadn't screwed up none of this fuss would be discussed.
Thumbs up for NVidia they won this round imo.
See http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=587413#post587413
ATI's "launch" this cycle is (assuming the products are available when they say the will be) is as good as one can expect in a competitive environment. You can bet your ass that as soon as we get back to the more typical "each vendor stepping over the other with every launch", (which may just have started again) you will not see the "launch same day as availability" again.

epicstruggle said:
Im suprised people are gettin so worked up over this. Did anyone actually think that [H] was a professional/unbiased review site??? Next people will get worked up because TheInq is posting rumours!!

epic

As i said in the other review thread, i am too surprised that ppl are making so much noise over this. Personally, I stopped paying attention to that guy a long time ago. He has various agendas (including political ones) which he keeps pushing in ways that i find insulting for any person with half a brain of his own.
Such kind of decisions are not nurtured through proper reasoning, or any kind of logical cohesion. They are the product of a decision making process performed by an unstable personality; it's the Internet we are talking about, there are many researchers who study such proliferating sociological phenomena exhibited in what some call "the net culture".

Last edited by a moderator:
weeds said:
What would you think of a certain IHV who makes conditions on a reviewer about how to bench their offerings as a condition to recieve a review kit??
I didn't like it at all when nVidia did that with their FX. ;)

martrox said:
I don't disagree with you Democoder....but I do truly believe that, when everything is said and done, that nVidia will do whatever thay have to to win, and if they feel the need to return to their cheating ways, they will do it with absolutely no qualms. They haven't changed one bit from the company that did what they had to during the FX era......
I have to second this, unfortunately.

Mariner said:
I do worry for Kyle and the survival of his web site.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. If, after a fashion, the INQ can live long and prosper, then so can [H]. For certain sites it isn't the quality of the people who hit them that counts--it's purely the quantity, don't ya' know...;)

(I feel bad though because I think I have inadvertently given the INQ a bum rap here, somehow...;))

After all, he's just ruled himself out of any future hardware "exclusives", hasn't he? You can't have an "exclusive" about something which is available on the open retail market so how is he going to attract hits to his site?

Who needs exclusives when it's so easy to manufacture opinions on just about anything? Heh...;) You don't need anybody's hardware or software to actually be in your possession before you can say anything you choose about them, do you? That's the great thing about opinions--they can often grow out of nothing more fertile than a colorful and fanciful imagination--facts are not required. Just the superficial appearance of facts will do nicely.

No exclusives = reduced revenue.

Well, when advertisers start doing demographic checks for [H] instead of raw hit counts--yea--I agree with you that [H]'s finances might start taking a beating at that point.

I wonder how long it will be before he changes his 'must be on the market' stance to hardware reviews? :smile:

The great thing about editorializing everything on the planet is that it requires the factual and logical consistency of a leaf blown by the wind, and demands the memory storage capacity of an ant...;) It must be wonderful for those who enjoy it so much, I reckon. Yea, that's "freedom" all right...

I just have this nasty suspicion that the first benchmarks of X1800XT we'll see at [H] will be pitting it against a 7800Ultra at ~510mhz core and with 512mb/1600mhz memory. . .and that Kyle and his green buddies have it planned out that way.

Edit: Come to think of it, that would explain a lot --Lord Kyle leveling the playing field on his own hook, and just not saying it out loud. But then that presupposes there is such an NV part and it will be available roughly at the right time, and I haven't seen anyone confirm that. Adam Foat hints in that direction at DH the other day, but it *could* be just a 512MB GTX at GTX memory speeds. But I'd think that even if they don't crank the core they will go with the faster memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd actually like to see a R520 clocked similarly to a 6800 Ultra (or X800XT) so we can cut through the marketechure and see how these efficiency claims stand up.

DemoCoder said:
I'd actually like to see a R520 clocked similarly to a 6800 Ultra (or X800XT) so we can cut through the marketechure and see how these efficiency claims stand up.

Yup, a 256mb XL one.

Kyle is threatening to infringe on Derek Smart territory in the "he who reacts worst to disagreement" lottery.

I think it really boils down to Kyle being lied to about crossfire being avaiable on launch day and x1800 availability on launch also. So whats a reviewer to do? Nothing? Write a editorial? Ati has seen enough editorials this last week, but continued with its BS. Some of you really need to get out more, everything is an Nvidia conspiracy to some of you and it really looks pathetic. But hey I will buy into it, so say Nvidia suggested this move (this conspiracy is so stupid) fine, Its still only a suggestion. Now lets see what you guys think of Ati putting preconditions on what a reviewer can benchmark or they wont receive a review kit.

From Bit-tec:
The 7800 GTX and ATI's 'conditions' for review. ATI made it clear to us, and a number of other UK publications, that did not believe that 7800GTX was a competitor to X850 Crossfire and so they did not want it compared. This was a condition of getting the kit for review.

I agreed to this primarily a) because it was so blindingly obvious that 7800GTX canes CrossFire I could just put that in the text b) because the major comparison is cost, and I could still put it in there c) I figured the benchmarks would not be comprehensive anyway and d) Everyone was in the same boat.

It does now appear like ATI changed the rules for certain online mags, or those mags chose not to stick to them. Frankly, good for them - for manufacturers to try to dictate how stuff is reviewed is pretty abhorrent imho.

And before some of you say the 7800GTX shoudn't be compared to Crossfire, thats not the point. Ati strongarming reviewers is bad for all of us who depend on the press to write a review of a product without outside pressure. Reviewers are what consumers count on to make an informed decision before slapping down there hard earned money for a product. Ati doing this is far worse than the half ass bizarre Nvidia conspiracy being thrown around here. But some here believe Ati is all kittens and bunnys candy canes and gumdrops. Get a grip Ati PR has lied, plain and simple.

Wow, I had forgotten about that. Nobody here made a big stink about it, yet the pitch forks and torches sure came out when Nvidia did the same. Not that I care either way, but let's have some consistency, ok!

weeds said:
From Bit-tec:
The 7800 GTX and ATI's 'conditions' for review. ATI made it clear to us, and a number of other UK publications, that did not believe that 7800GTX was a competitor to X850 Crossfire and so they did not want it compared. This was a condition of getting the kit for review.

Yes, that's wrong. Also kinda stupid. Don't see that it does any damage to their competition tho.

geo said:
Yes, that's wrong. Also kinda stupid. Don't see that it does any damage to their competition tho.

Agreed. If a IHV or AIB is confident of their part's position within the current marketplace, then there's no need to attach test conditions with review samples.

weeds said:
They should have refused the condition then, when you review a product you shouldn't tie your hands to say/not say ANYTHING about it. :???:

It ain't right for ATi to be doing that, but the review sites don't have to accept their conditions either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back