KT800 : Dual Chanel Support For AthlonXP

David G.

Newcomer
This is nice news to see .

Probably too much for one day ... nah ... not too much but too nice to be true ... or something like that .

So , they say that ... if the Athlon64 will be too late for VIA's taste , it will launch a Dual Chanel solution.

I was wrinting to a pal of mine just this afternoon an e-mail about the news and he replyed me a nice supposition about eficiency .

He said something simple : If VIA's chipset can get these results using 3.2 Gb/s it would sure be impressive to see how much it will get from using 6.4 Gb/s .

In the article it is mentioned that the solution will be one for the enthusiast market that is willing to pay a little more and that led me to reply him about the fact that the extra bandwidth might not be obtained from a Dual Chanel setup but from Quad Band Data RAM support . This way , the chipset and mainboard remain cheap and only the customer will decide to buy or not the OCZ memory ( OCZ promised to be the first to make such meories ) .

Generally , VIA's chipsets used the same architecture no matter if they were supporting Intel CPUs or AMD ones so , if the PT800 will have QBM support , there is a chance that the AMD omologue will have the same option .

Also , there is a "dreamer's" chance to get a Dual Chanel solution with QBM support which would bring more than 1Gb/s bandwidth .

Now ... I know that's not so usefull for the AMD platform but it will be , more than sure a powerfull blow to Intel's 875 .

Here is a link to the mentioned article.

Back