Kojima leaves Konami to start new Studio *Confirmed*

After all what publishers want is a huge user base, that's why we don't see new consoles every 2-3 years

In 2018 the PS4 will be 5 years old, not 2 or 3. The PS4 is 2 years old, already.

I really, really want Sony to fund a Guillermo del Toro / Kojima coproduction!

I doubt if Kojima owns the engine. The developers were task with supplying a multiplatform engine to support the breadth of Konami lineup of console titles. It wouldn't make sense for Konami to allow Kojima to hold ownership of a engine that was a product of a company owned by Konami in which Kojima was an employee.

PES 2017 is in trouble otherwise.
Sad to think that such a wonderful engine is gonna be wasted then. It has tremendous potential. MGSV did wonders on the PS3 and 360, and the PS4/XB1 MGSV was not really built with their higher capabilities in mind. The engine demonstration they did years ago to show its capabilities revealed amazing things.

Sad to think that such a wonderful engine is gonna be wasted then. It has tremendous potential. MGSV did wonders on the PS3 and 360, and the PS4/XB1 MGSV was not really built with their higher capabilities in mind. The engine demonstration they did years ago to show its capabilities revealed amazing things.

They will probably build a better one with current tech in mind and not be burden by hardware from 2005-06.

They will probably build a better one with current tech in mind and not be burden by hardware from 2005-06.

but that will take lots of time and money right? for their 1st game with sony's collaboration, i think sony will really want them to use something from Sony.

But then the game is not PS4 exclusive... sony wont want their engine to be used out of PS4. But they also have history of Phyre engine (or whatever was is it) and it was used for multiplatform (Demon Souls? Dirt? i forgot)

PS5 will come out when I'm almost 40. Now that is a terrifying thought.
you are in 30's and also the "shifty's dad"? :D

I thought that the Fox Engine was scalable to new hardware. It is MGS V specifically that burdened the visual target we got from the game. This is what I got

I thought that the Fox Engine was scalable to new hardware. It is MGS V specifically that burdened the visual target we got from the game. This is what I got
Chances are they will go UE4. The pricing is already set and scales well with small teams and large teams. It's well documented and used by many Japanese developers already.

Even if he could get FoX engine at a reasonable price for a new studio he'd have to hire over all the Engineers from Konami to get around the ramp up period.

Theres probably a no hire from Konami clause on his contract.

Im sure it is. But if they must begin anew, the baseline will be current hardware specifically the PS4 and the current trends in the game development. Fox engine development started in 2008, so I doubt they had a great ideal of what graphic tech would enable for 2015 and beyond.

Kojima Pro not having the Fox Engine available, may delay their ability to launch a game quickly. But this is what they do, build the tech that powers their titles. It is in their DNA.

Last edited:
Im sure it is. But if they must begin anew, the baseline will be current hardware specifically the PS4 and the current trends in the game development. Fox engine development started in 2008, so I doubt they had a great ideal of what graphic tech would enable for 2015 and beyond.

Kojima Pro not having the Fox Engine available, may delay their ability to launch a game quickly. But this is what they do, build the tech that powers their titles. It is in their DNA.
It started early but it was an ongoing work which added new features. Check youtube for their long presentation. Their engine can do photorealistic graphics with proper hardware performance and not only. I am sure they could have updated it farther with newer features

It started early but it was an ongoing work which added new features. Check youtube for their long presentation. Their engine can do photorealistic graphics with proper hardware performance and not only. I am sure they could have updated it farther with newer features

True. But all the work that may have gone on after MGS V was completed to keep the engine modern will now go to a new engine.

I am not saying the Fox Engine is old and outdated. But rather the new engine will benefit from all the effort and lessons learned from the Fox Engine development while not having to contend with legacy hardware.

Translated excerpts from the julien Merceron interview done by gameblog.fr (J.Merceron was the technical director of Fox Engine):

GAMEBLOG.FR - the year has being eventful at Kojima productions. Why did you leave Konami?
JULIEN MERCERON - Indeed end of year was hectic! It all comes from march 2015 with a conflict between Kojima and Konami management. It was clear back then that Kojima was going to leave Konami and it will maybe be the last Metal Gear done by Konami. I personally asked myself many questions.
It was clear that I was going to stay at Konami until MGS5 was released and to finish others ongoing projects. I couldn't leave before September 2015. Leaving before everything was settled, certainly not. So I began to talk to people around me and my choice has being made during this period.
GAMEBLOG.FR - You finally chose Bandai Namco when many thought you could go to Kojima Productions: Why?
JULIEN MERCERON - I loved working with Kojima and'd love to do again. I wanted to do others things because Kojima usually needs 5 years to do a game and one at a time. Particularly at the head of a new studio, he won't do 3 or 4 games simultaneously. Well in any case during the 3 first years in his new adventure I didn't see myself working full time on only one game. I used to work on 20 projects at the same time and that what excites me too. Having a high number of platforms and a real diversity of different games and technologies too. So with Hideo we told ourselves: "Listen, if in 3 years you have trouble, we'll talk again, but now I need to do other stuff." And there are others elements I must work on.

Back