Just got myself

carpediem

Regular
the iAudio X5, replacing my older Muvo2 (4GB). So far I love it, and luckily I recently bought myself a Canon DSLR, so I could capture the little bugger :)

Vacation money almost gone now :D

One things that bugs me a bit is that for some reason, HDD MP3 players seem to have a "volume block" here in the UK - safety reasons i guess, the idiots... So they're just not loud enough.

Any help?

london-boy said:
One things that bugs me a bit is that for some reason, HDD MP3 players seem to have a "volume block" here in the UK - safety reasons i guess, the idiots... So they're just not loud enough.

Any help?
Get more effecient headphones.

Or different firmware, depending on who makes it.

RussSchultz said:
london-boy said:

Any help?

Headphones are headphones, the volume is definately MUCH lower than it should be and different headphones don't make it better, trust moi.
The Sony HDwhatever MP3 players have a sort of code you can enter to take the thing off, but i'm not sure if i can do that with other MP3 players, cause i aint got so much money to spend on the Sony ones, as much as i'd love one.

london-boy said:
RussSchultz said:
london-boy said:

Any help?

Headphones are headphones, the volume is definately MUCH lower than it should be and different headphones don't make it better, trust moi.
The Sony HDwhatever MP3 players have a sort of code you can enter to take the thing off, but i'm not sure if i can do that with other MP3 players, cause i aint got so much money to spend on the Sony ones, as much as i'd love one.

Get a pair of headphones with lower impedance and you will get higher volume.

london-boy said:
Headphones are headphones
No, they aren't. I think I know what Russ is gonna post next and I'll save him the trouble.

The Sony MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia Headphones are not like other earphones and they will most definately let you hear and appreciate your music better than any type of earbud/headset will.

I'm on my second set after Russ turned me on to them a while back for mowing the lawn, the puppies chewed up my original set and I just had to get a new set right away.

Nothing else compairs. Once you try them, you will settle for nothing less.

And I've got the opposite complaint against PCs.
For my stationary PC I got a cord extension with a volume control on it. Without that I could chose between destroying my headphones (and ears), or turn down all digital volume controls to min (wich result in really shitty sound).

Same thing with the new laptop, one notch above zero on the volume control is often too loud. And I don't like the idea to bring an extension cord with volume control with the laptop.

digitalwanderer said:
london-boy said:
No, they aren't. I think I know what Russ is gonna post next and I'll save him the trouble.

The Sony MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia Headphones are not like other earphones and they will most definately let you hear and appreciate your music better than any type of earbud/headset will.

I'm on my second set after Russ turned me on to them a while back for mowing the lawn, the puppies chewed up my original set and I just had to get a new set right away.

Nothing else compairs. Once you try them, you will settle for nothing less.

Erm i'm using those, got them after someone mentioned them on here.

It's just a block they put on the volume, the Sony ones hace a little hack to take it off and then everything's fine, but without the hack, it's really something that can't be made up with "good headphones". It's like not being able to go over half the volume, so to speak.

Crazy huh.

So that leaves me with a Sony HD5 which i can "hack", or try to find other ones that can be hacked. Not easy, and the Sony ones are just SO expensive.

digitalwanderer said:
Again, why not import?

... Cause... It's a bit of a pain, everytime i look into importing, the delivery fees are just crazy. Plus potential tax on top of everything... You never know whether you're going to be charged tax for imported good or whatever, much like it happened when i looked into importing a PSP. Slapped 50 quid (100 dollars) tax on top of it.

Sorry lb, but the volume problem stems from your choice of HDD player. The SONY HDx only have 5mW of output power max.... ;)

SONY probably did this so they can advertise very long playing times. :oops:

london-boy said:
Not true. Every device has an efficiency of converting power into the headphones to audio power out of the headphones. I don't know any particular headphones that are more efficient, but if the sony players DACs can actually source more current than 5mW across 8ohm headphones, getting a pair of headphones with a lower impedence should allow that 5mW to get higher.

As for which product is hackable, I'm sure there's an iPod hack if you've bought that one. Or creative has its firmware on the web you can do the upgrade yourself.

PC-Engine said:

Sorry lb, but the volume problem stems from your choice of HDD player. The SONY HDx only have 5mW of output power max.... ;)

SONY probably did this so they can advertise very long playing times. :oops:

Yup. The loudest one is definitely Creative Zen. I love it. And my headphones of choice are Sennheiser PMX60 (I also own Sony MDR-EX81SL you recommended. WAAAY too much bass and they made them for gigantic ears. And some others, more expensive ones as well like BD DT331). PMX60 beats them all in comfort and volume, but it doesn't have that artifical booming bass most people seem to prefer.

Back