Hardware

PSP - 47,633
PS2 - 44,228
DS - 25,759
GBASP - 12,307
GC - 3,635
GBA - 398
Xbox - 177

Dengeki comment states that the 2004 fiscal year (Apr 1 2004 - Mar 31 2005) is the first time in 3 years that the Japan game market has increased in size. Maybe things are looking up.

my friend in japan told me yesterday that some shops started to do discount on valuepacks. some places they sell them for the equevelant of 177 euro! now THAT's CHEAP!

I wonder if the usual will fall back on the argument that DS still has a leaed..... :? If these sales continue, I wonder for how long.............. I'm certainly surprised and didn't expect sales to be that good. :oops:

I didn't expect PSP to do this good either, but so far in the UK the DS has been advertised as "the one doing better in Japan" which it clearly is not the case, for whatever reason (shortages or whatever, i'm not too sure).

Holy distractions, what the hell is that weather girl wearing? Looks like she just got out of bed!!

Anyway...

The DS looks and feels 3 years too late, and I think the sales will reflect that. The PSP is being billed as "the next iPOD". Which on one level is a shame, but I think its probably accurate and bodes well for sales.

Yeah, DS sales down 1k, PSP sales up 6k from the previous week. However, DS has more total units sold, so maybe that's what advertising is hyping.

marconelly! said:
Yeah, DS sales down 1k, PSP sales up 6k from the previous week. However, DS has more total units sold, so maybe that's what advertising is hyping.

At this rate, if nothing changes, PSP will take over DS lead quite easily.

london-boy said:
marconelly! said:

At this rate, if nothing changes, PSP will take over DS lead quite easily.

If Nintendo stops releasing new DS games to spur more DS sales, yes.

If Nintendo stops releasing new DS games to spur more DS sales, yes.

well you can say the same for PSP, if they bring out the next wave of good games, it can go either way.

the combo of DS+SP+GBA > total is less then previeous years weekly SP sales in total?
is eating PSP in their market too or are they creating their own marketshare?

I didn't expect PSP to do this good either, but so far in the UK the DS has been advertised as "the one doing better in Japan" which it clearly is not the case, for whatever reason (shortages or whatever, i'm not too sure).

Do you expect shops to base their advertising on weekly sales reports or something? "PSP, the system doing best in Japan". "No hold on, weekly sales just came in, change the signs to 'DS, the system doing better in Japan'" :) DS and PSP have been out in Japan for the same amount of time and DS has sold twice what PSP has sold in that time. So its hardly wrong for a shop to say that DS is doing better in Japan so far.

BTW at this rate if nothing changes its going to take PSP just over 12 months to equal DS's userbase.

Ali-G said:
DS and PSP have been out in Japan for the same amount of time and DS has sold twice what PSP has sold in that time.

No, DS was out for something around a month before PSP, and almost had the entire holyday season to itself. Now that sales have leveled off to their normal levels, it´s plain wrong to say DS is doing better than PSP.

No, DS was out for something around a month before PSP, and almost had the entire holyday season to itself.

Not true, in japan DS was released on the 2nd of December while PSP was released on the 12th of December. DS and PSP have been out for 14 and 12.5 weeks respectively in Japan.

2 million sold in 14 weeks is better then 1 million sold in 12 and a half weeks AFAICS.

Ali-G said:
No, DS was out for something around a month before PSP, and almost had the entire holyday season to itself.

Not true, in japan DS was released on the 2nd of December while PSP was released on the 12th of December. DS and PSP have been out for 14 and 12.5 weeks respectively in Japan.

2 million sold in 14 weeks is better then 1 million sold in 12 and a half weeks AFAICS.

I´m going to have to ask for a link, but anyway, you´re seeing this from a very simple POV. Nintendo didn´t have the shipment problems Sony had, not to mention that 2 weeks with no shortages in the holyday season during your launch are more important than any other 2 weeks, so your comparison isn´t valid.

Anyway, now that those problems have been resolved, Sony has been clearly outselling DS for about 2 months now. So, RIGHT NOW, PSP is selling better. DS has anl advantage in total numbers due to being out longer and without shortages, but PSP will surpass it worldwide before the year is up.

jvd said:
we'll see , nothing big has been released in either country since wario ware .
Doesn't Yoshi Touch count as big?

It didn't seem to help DS sales much in Japan AFAIK

Almasy, google it, PSP came out on the 12th, ten days after DS. Both systems were available weeks in advance of Christmas in Japan.

We could argue all day about stuff like shortages ect for both systems. Which is why I'm not going to get into it. I'm just saying that its fine for a store to advertise DS as the handheld doing the best in Japan. Because its sold more systems then PSP since release. In fact its sold 50% more then PSP since the PSP itself was released.

If other people want to look at it in a different way, like current weekly sales, and say PSP is doing best right now then ok. But that doesn't mean the store is wrong in its advertising.

DeanoC said:
jvd said:
we'll see , nothing big has been released in either country since wario ware .
Doesn't Yoshi Touch count as big?

It didn't seem to help DS sales much in Japan AFAIK
Never heard of it haha .

Anyway i'm pissed about animal crossing going from a late march release to a tba . I really want this game and the wait is killing me . Did you see the videos ign has up ? That and mario kart both being wifi are going to sell tons of units

Back