It's getting boring..I know!

nAo

Nutella Nutellae
Veteran
But I can't help It...just found some other stuff about GPUs from Sony.
This time we have some GPU that supports vertex and pixel shading.

This one exploit parallelism at area level, primitve level and pixel level.
It has generic shaders supports too:
Image processing apparatus and method thereof (1)

Another GPU made of plurarity of processing elements. (no..not those PEs ;) )
Image processing apparatus and method of same (1)

This one employ a tesselation unit to better distrubuite work amongs many processors.
Image processing apparatus and method of same (2)

From the abstract:
To provide an image processing device and a method therefor capable of performing parallel processing irrespective of operation mode, realizing parallel processing having high execution efficiency without receiving the restriction for the number of pixels capable of being parallel processed, and improving the performance.
Well..who can read Japanese? I can't at the moment :)
IMAGE PROCESSING DEVICE AND METHOD THEREFOR

This a group of another Japanese patents fromt the same guy (SATO HITOSHI).
It seems all this stuff is about pixel processors:
IMAGE PROCESSING DEVICE AND ITS METHOD
IMAGE PROCESSOR AND IMAGE PROCESSING METHOD
IMAGE PROCESSOR
IMAGE PROCESSING DEVICE AND METHOD FOR THE SAME
DEVICE AND METHOD OF IMAGE PROCESSING

That are other patents from those guys but I'm to tired..it's time to take some sleep :)

ciao,
Marco

The amount of patents is starting to become ridiculous ... I think they realise they are in a weak IP position compared to the more established 3D players, and are just patenting as much as they can in the hope of getting something worth while to countersue with if they are ever hit with a suit.

nAo said:
This a group of another Japanese patents fromt the same guy (SATO HITOSHI).
Indeed this guy Hitoshi SATO (on pdf he belongs to Sony-Kihara Research Center, not Sony Corp.) has something with the development of PlayStation graphics, according to this report (machine translation here) about a symposium about computer graphics in Apr. 1999. In this symposium, he, and his supervisor at his graduate/undergraduate course, lectured about real-time parallel processing hardware architecture for dense particle rendering, and optical interconnect between processing units to overcome bottleneck. He was introduced there as he was involved with the development of a "next-gen" playstation, while he got his degree and entered Sony-Kihara Research Center in 1999, so this "next-gen" can be PS3, though parallel processing is broadly seen in PS2s VUs too.

Current R&D projects at Sony-Kihara Research Center are
http://www.sony-krc.co.jp/en/contents/research/index.htm
# Information management technologies that respond and interact with the broadband age.
# 3-D CG (3-dimensional computer graphics) advanced technologies and applied products.
# Next-generation imaging technologies that combine sensing, image processing, and parallel computing.

and I mentioned this R&D lab before about GS1-32 for GSCube. Hmm, the designer of GS = Sony-Kihara Research Center?

(BTW the "CG lesson" corner in their website is offered some models from FF:SW by SQUARE USA...)
le2_img1.jpg

le3_img2.jpg

le3_img3.jpg

MfA said:
The amount of patents is starting to become ridiculous ...
yeah o_O
I think they realise they are in a weak IP position compared to the more established 3D players, and are just patenting as much as they can in the hope of getting something worth while to countersue with if they are ever hit with a suit.
It could be but I can't see how Sony may be able to countersue using those patents, all the stuff I found is about very specific implementations.

ciao,
Marco

Jaws said:
Cheers nAo...I now need to take a week off work too catch up on these patents! :oops: ;)
LOL :) and I even left out some patents I found last night ;)

Has this already been covered? Is this the one previously mentioned in this forum as the "Sony patent" in constrast to the Toshiba graphics patents?

IMAGE PROCESSOR

This one is by Masahiro IGARASHI, who appears in the other patent along with Sato.

Abstract of JP2004145838
PROBLEM TO BE SOLVED: To provide an image processor capable of efficiently using a large amount of operators and realizing an arithmetic processing at high speed without leading to an increase in circuit scale or in cost.
SOLUTION: This image processor comprises a register unit 13124 having a plurality of registers, a pixel engine 131222 including a plurality of operators OP corresponding to the registers of the register unit and performing arithmetic operation based on processing data related to an image set in the corresponding register, and a crossbar circuit 13125 to which the outputs of each register of the register unit and each operator of the pixel engine are connected. The operators of the pixel engine are divided to a plurality of operator groups 13122A and 13122B. The crossbar circuit inputs the processing data to the register corresponding to a desired operator, and transfers the arithmetic result of each operator of the pixel engine to the register corresponding to the operator of another operator group and/or another processing part.

SOLUTION: This image processor comprises a register unit 13124 having a plurality of registers, a pixel engine 131222 including a plurality of operators OP corresponding to the registers of the register unit and performing arithmetic operation based on processing data related to .....

My eyes can't even focus on that block of gobbledygook. :p Jesus, there's SO many ways to write that block of text using a quarter as many words and make it four times as legible.

Guden Oden said:
My eyes can't even focus on that block of gobbledygook. :p Jesus, there's SO many ways to write that block of text using a quarter as many words and make it four times as legible.

Yes, but that won't be legal anymore, if they do that. Juridical BS is a language on its own.

Vysez said:
Guden Oden said:

Yes, but that won't be legal anymore, if they do that. Juridical BS is a language on its own.

Ooooh so i wouldn't be able to patent a "things that paints on walls". I would have to patent a "the party of the third party herewith testifies that the party of the wall is able to be painted with the forewith mechanism"

Back