It is PS3 able to read 4 layer BD ?

Deloix

Newcomer
I heard, that PS3 is able to read four layer Blu ray discs. That be enough system update (maybe flash of BD drive in oficial update). It's possible ??? Nearly 100 GB for games :)

No, the PS3 won't read more than 2 layer BDs, I'm fairly sure. Of course, you never know, as there just aren't any commercial 4 layer discs out there, even though yes there have been successful tests with 8 layers.

Right now, I would assume that BD in PS3 is 2 layer only, and will stay that way probably always.

I guess the 4 layer rumour has started from old hitachi news. If true that it's possible to use existing players to read those discs the question becomes how expensive are the discs to manufacture.

This problem make big discusions on czech forums with Xbots. It is DVD9 too old and small for big games in years 2009++ ?
That's a different discussion held several times on this board. I suggest you use the search function. Opinion is strongly divided such that there's no consensus!

Right now, I would assume that BD in PS3 is 2 layer only, and will stay that way probably always.
Would that limit its movie-playing ability, or are BD movies expected to stay at 2 layers?

I doubt they would have enabled the PS3 to read 4-layer Blu-ray's considering they were only in concept form before the PS3's release. And I'm not quite sure what language I should be speaking...?

Would that limit its movie-playing ability, or are BD movies expected to stay at 2 layers?

This is the news: http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/11374.cfm

This week at the CEATEC JAPAN 2007 event, Hitachi announced that they had successfully created a quad layer Blu-ray disc that can store up to 100 GB of data.

To sweeten the pot even more, Hitachi says the discs are compatible with existing Blu-ray players and drives after an easy firmware update.

Hitachi says they are now working on "improving the signal quality of its quad-layer technology" so that it can be ready to hit the market soon.

There is no public information about its performance characteristics yet.

My bad english :( ... i mean want not

Dobrý den! Deliox, no worries.

On Topic - I believe what I've heard is that it's not a hardware issue (that all of them have the physical capacity), just a firmware issue that keeps any player from being capable of dealing with disks above two layers (they just need software to tell them how to focus properly).

Being formerly employed by a hardware vendor, I always laugh out loud when somebody claims it will only take firmware upgrade to support feature xyz.

If I had a $, well maybe £ or € at the current rates, for each time we ran across some undocumented/unexpected flaw or a result of someone wanted to shave another cent of a component, and that forced us to do a hardware replacement.
Well I probably would not be rich, but I would have had some more atleast :D

Being formerly employed by a hardware vendor, I always laugh out loud when somebody claims it will only take firmware upgrade to support feature xyz.

If I had a $, well maybe £ or € at the current rates, for each time we ran across some undocumented/unexpected flaw or a result of someone wanted to shave another cent of a component, and that forced us to do a hardware replacement.
Well I probably would not be rich, but I would have had some more atleast :D

I'm guessing that since Blu-ray drives are so complex to begin with (amazing tech...don't they have two lasers!?) They might just be able to read more layers...and this MIGHT have been factored into their original design (ie. the foresight that DVD makers didn't have).

I would be very surprised if movies ever go beyond that. The only reason that it could happen is if it could happen with current hardware not being affected. That's not impossible, but also not that likely. But even then, I think that at 50GB, BD movies can manage something like a 1920x1080x60fps resolution for instance without having to resort to more disc-space - additional frames don't scale the compressed size linearly, I suspect, with more frames meaning there is also less difference between the individual frames on average.

How is 4 layer reading achieved? Is it just a more powerful laser that's required, or is there some optical voodoo required? If it needs a laser of a certain power, current hardware likely won't support it unless it's been developed with that future spec in mind. If it's doing something very clever, than perhaps current hardware can be updated?

I would think it's just a matter of refocusing the laser onto the next layer, the same way current multi-layer reading is done. If the hardware is built with the capability of refocusing beyond just two layers, then a firmware update would indeed give it the ability to.

Back