Is Wii interest dropping in Japan?

So whats going on at nintendo? DS dropped like 60k from normal? and Wii has gone down quite a bit again. Are they having production problems or are they just saving up for christmas when a bunch of big games hit the market? Especially Japan which will get Wii fit this year will probably be total carnage.

Word at certain forums, is Wii is not even sold out in Japan since mid August. Apparently, this is not a supply problem. Although, one source stated small stores are trying to order all the Wii's they can now in anticipation of a holiday crunch, and the fact Nintendo may cut off supply to small stores again in that time.

I don't think we're in a traditionally high sales season, are we? Also, the fact that jack diddly squat has been coming out softwarewise has to take its toll at one point or another. I wonder if 3rd parties refusing to develop for Wii because they think it's just a fad is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Where would PS2 be today if they'd had the same attitude for the first year after release?

You need a lot more numbers to call for a change in trend, and at the moment these numbers aren't doing it anyway. As well, I don't think you can tell more about something by "ratio" than you can by overall sales... Would a console be "losing interest" if it kept selling in increasing numbers, only a much-lower-selling console pulls up their numbers more by GAINING interest to close in the ratio gap? Or is that a case where the other console is finally gaining real interest?

You need a lot more numbers to call for a change in trend, and at the moment these numbers aren't doing it anyway. As well, I don't think you can tell more about something by "ratio" than you can by overall sales... Would a console be "losing interest" if it kept selling in increasing numbers, only a much-lower-selling console pulls up their numbers more by GAINING interest to close in the ratio gap? Or is that a case where the other console is finally gaining real interest?

Well that's not happening with the Wii in Japan. It's sales have fallen a few weeks in a row for whatever reason (supply may still be some factor, not living in Japan I cant say).

Nintendo is probably shifting their manufactured consoles to other regions where Wii still doesnt have the market lead...

The Wii hasn't been supply constrained in Europe and now apparantly isn't in Japan.

So it's only the US still supply constrained.

Well I haven't seen one for sale in the Netherlands until very very recently, and still not that often. But that could just be me of course.

Well I haven't seen one for sale in the Netherlands until very very recently, and still not that often. But that could just be me of course.

The general consensus I've seen on the internet is the Wii has been in stock in many parts of Europe right from the start.

I also just looked at itrackr and found Wii to be at a recent high 34% stock here in the USA. Even a circuit city has it in stock. Previously I'd mostly only seen Wii in stock at gamestops (and they alledgedly have unreliable inventory tracking when using itrackr).

Though that stands to reason considering Ninty shipped over 400,000 stateside in July..they have to be satiating some of the demand.

Well that's not happening with the Wii in Japan. It's sales have fallen a few weeks in a row for whatever reason (supply may still be some factor, not living in Japan I cant say).
That's where my first "we don't have enough numbers yet" comment was aimed. ;) After that, I was questioning the ratio premise in general.

4 words, "School is back in." It does have a significant impact, when was the last time the DS dropped below 100k? All hw sales were down across the board, not just Wii units.

Come to think of it, does Wii have a large number of really good games coming up? Mostly the games that are released now are not very highly-rated...PS3 too...but there are good games coming up for it.

As far as Japan goes its probably only super mario galaxy and wii fit. I dont know exactly what is on the Japanese release list for this year but if I look at the european one I sont see alot of games that will appeal to the Japanese. Maybe RE:UC, though it appears that isnt going to be a great game, or maybe Nights.

As far as Japan goes its probably only super mario galaxy and wii fit. I dont know exactly what is on the Japanese release list for this year but if I look at the european one I sont see alot of games that will appeal to the Japanese. Maybe RE:UC, though it appears that isnt going to be a great game, or maybe Nights.

Uhm, SSBB is ridiculously huge in Japan. ;)

Back