Is Hollywood capable of GPGPU?

hope you'll excuse me mega, but i cringe each time i see that 'intrawebz lore' repeated: there are no '8 texture inputs' to the TEV per se - it's just 4 new constant registers in hollywood's TEV. but before there were already more than '4 inputs' to the TEV to begin with (interpolants from the rasteriser, texels from the TUs, EMBM matrix registers, etc) - there were never '4 inputs' that 'doubled from flipper to hollywood'.

let me recommend a paramaount document to you - hitmen's YAGCD - check it out.

Which, of course, is a document that was put together describing the GameCube Flipper. Only people who have the tech docs for the Wii GPU are in a position to make direct comparisons between the two.

Which, of course, is a document that was put together describing the GameCube Flipper. Only people who have the tech docs for the Wii GPU are in a position to make direct comparisons between the two.
apparently not sufficient - a basic understanding of what those docs say is required too. my mentioning of the YAGCD was for the sake of backing up the idea that flipper may not have had just '4 inputs to TEV' to boot, which i thought i made clear in my original post (pardon me if that was not the case). let's not forget that info posted here tends to resonate across the intrawebs, so a bit more factological discipline on everybody's part may only be a good thing. lest you read for years on how 'flipper's TEV had 4 inputs, hollywood's - 8'.

Last edited by a moderator:
apparently not sufficient - a basic understanding of what those docs say is required too. my mentioning of the YAGCD was for the sake of backing up the idea that flipper may not have had just '4 inputs to TEV' to boot, which i thought i made clear in my original post (pardon me if that was not the case). let's not forget that info posted here tends to resonate across the intrawebs, so a bit more factological discipline on everybody's part may only be a good thing. lest you read for years on how 'flipper's TEV had 4 inputs, hollywood's - 8'.

Ah, now I understand your point properly. I read it from the Wii GPU perspective.
Have to say though, that we really need those tech docs credibly leaked, so that everyone can breathe a sigh of relief and Nintendos approach this generation can be discussed freely. I can't see that it could be anything but positive for Nintendo at this point in time. At present, the only ones who bring up the technical aspects of the Wii are those who are anxious to put it down, safe in the knowledge that the people who work with it and could offer an alternative perspective are forced to remain silent.
Oh well. I guess the number of people who are truly interested is miniscule anyway.

Back