Is BestBuy out of their MIND!?

No one forced me to buy a bundle with my PS2. So no, you can't blame Sony any more than you can blame Tesco's for trying to cash in on huge bundles and £20 DVD players with 6 DVDs included.

DemoCoder said:
So what's my problem?
You're allowing the marketing people to whip you up into a frenzy.

DemoCoder said:
It's bad enough that the XB360 is lacking killer "must buy me" launch titles, but now there's a shortage, and even if you stand in line for 3 hours before open, you can ONLY buy a $699 bundle that includes 4 games and accessories that you may not want?
Like you say, if there's no titles that you want, you're not going to have anything to play on your console have you? I know you want one now, but stop and take a deep breath.

london-boy said:
No one forced me to buy a bundle with my PS2. So no, you can't blame Sony any more than you can blame Tesco's for trying to cash in on huge bundles and £20 DVD players with 6 DVDs included.

no one forced me to buy a x360 bundle either. And I did not buy a bundle. I pre-ordered the system alone.. and then added stuff closer to launch, but I was not required to by the store.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Like you say, if there's no titles that you want, you're not going to have anything to play on your console have you? I know you want one now, but stop and take a deep breath.

There was one game I was interested in, PGR3. I would have played that, and rented the rest on GameFly until GoW comes out. I have a right to complain about irritating store policies, especially as I didn't see it mentioned anywhere here, and there are some people who may have gone to the local BB without checking their policy and been in for a rude surprise.

It's the people here who take any criticism related to XB360 as an attack on a favorite console and need to leap to the defense. They're too touchy about MS vs Sony. Me, I'm just someone who's irritated at getting up early, driving through shitty traffic, in cold weather, all for nought.

Powderkeg said:
Atari 2600

Bundled with a second controller and 2 games.

The old game units were always sold as "bundles" with at least one game and usually 2 controllers. It has only been with the PS1 and up that consoles have been pretty much only available with zero games and only one controller included as a standard package. I remember when i first got a NES, you got 2 controllers, the light gun, and mario bros 1 and duck hunt. Nowadays you have to pay extra if you want to get anything else.

-#1Gamer
GameAlmanac.com

Oh, and one other things about old game units compared to new game units. My NES still works, my XBox doesnt anymore. Granted with the NES you have to blow into the cartridge and push it in a few times. But it works. All I get from my XBox is: Unable to Read Disk.

-#1Gamer

#1gamer said:
Oh, and one other things about old game units compared to new game units. My NES still works, my XBox doesnt anymore. Granted with the NES you have to blow into the cartridge and push it in a few times. But it works. All I get from my XBox is: Unable to Read Disk.

-#1Gamer

Every system I've had with an optical drive died after a few years. The exception is my DC, but that struggles, and often have to load and reload a game a few times before a successful start.

Back to cartridges!

PARANOiA said:
Every system I've had with an optical drive died after a few years. The exception is my DC, but that struggles, and often have to load and reload a game a few times before a successful start.

Back to cartridges!

HAHA. Or something that lasts a little longer. Although I guess with new systems coming out every few years, its not a big deal. My PS2 stopped reading disk when it stood vertical after only a year, so I had to buy a new shelf, after the custom one I built for the vertical unit no longer worked. And now my XBox has been acting up for some time now. Guess thats what I get for buying units when they first launch. Good thing I didnt get a 360 today ;)

-#1Gamer
GameAlmanac.com

DemoCoder said:
It's the people here who take any criticism related to XB360 as an attack on a favorite console and need to leap to the defense. They're too touchy about MS vs Sony. Me, I'm just someone who's irritated at getting up early, driving through shitty traffic, in cold weather, all for nought.

Well if you can wait for a short time after launch day, you'll probably be able to get what you want, where you want, maybe even cheaper once stores start competing on price. All the stuff going on now is just marketing hype and frenzy, and that's why stores are getting away with the policies you're complaining about.

What Best Buy is doing sounds a lot like price gouging, which is not the most ethical (or legal) way of conducting business outside of the oil industry. :mrgreen:

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8235869333&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

US $610,00 , 6hours to go

premium x360
+

Used items:

GameBoy Micro
*One silver Nintendo GameBoy Micro handheld game console. (Mint condition. It includes it's original box and all of it's originally packaging. I purchased it on 10/04/2005 from GameStop and I will include the original receipt.)
*One copy of Zelda: Link to the Past. Just the cart, no box or manual.

Nintendo GameCube
*One black Nintendo GameCube console, the Metroid Prime bundle version. It includes Metroid Prime game with Metroid Prime 2 demo, two controllers, and one memory card. It also includes all of it's original packaging and cables.
*Game: Super Smash Bros. Melee. (no game manual)
*Game: Resident Evil 4. (mint condition)
*Game: Ikaruga (mint condition, excellent shooter!)
*Game: Nascar Thunder 2003
*GameCube Monster Cable(S-Video)
***I would also like to note this is a DOL-001 model GameCube. Unlike the DOL-101 model of GameCube manufactured after May, 2004, this version of GameCube has a Digital A/V Output port. This means if you purchase an official GameCube Component cable from Nintendo.com, you can play your games in 480p(progressive scan) mode.***

Nintendo DS
*One electric blue Nintendo DS handheld game console. (It includes it's original box and all of it's original packaging. I purchased it on 6/29/2005 from GameStop and I will include it's original receipt.)
*Game: Meteos (mint condition)
*Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (mint condition)

thats still a good deal (as long it doesnt top to 900$ :) )

aaronspink said:
Blame Sony. No seriously. A lot of the bundle stuff started with the PS2. Then Sony decided to get in on the action and institutionalized it with the PSP.

Had a good laugh when I read that. I knew it! Sony is responsible for all the evil on this planet.

I checked two Best Buys today in San Jose area. They claimed next shipments are arriving Dec 18, but that I should check back often to see if it might arrive sooner.

HOWEVER.

I was told once again, they won't be selling ANY Core/Premium systems. You will ONLY be able to buy their $699 bundle.

At this point, I'm never going to bother with Best Buy again.

Thankfully I preordered mine but I did wait in line with a friend for the chance to get a second to sell off. Democ is right on too. My local best buy was advertising the $299 core and $399 premium package in the paper. I called to confirm the number they had and they went on to tell me that the cheapest package they had was $699 core bundle and $799 premium package. I asked him about the advertising in the paper and he stated we received less then expected so we wanted make sure the few people who received them received the best possible gaming experience. LOL I told him I thought it was false advertising (noting there was no prices subject to change clause in the ad) but he told me it was within their rights. "shrugs" I'm sure many people were not very happy when they heard the news.

I did go to another BB on the otherside of town and did receive the Premium package as advertised. I'm not sure how some BB got away with this "IMO false" advertising and its strange that all BB in my area did different pricing regardless to their advertising. (least in my area) I would like to know how legal it is about the advertising issue though. Anyone know?

P.S. More then happy with the 360 in the end :)

jpr27 said:
I did go to another BB on the otherside of town and did receive the Premium package as advertised. I'm not sure how some BB got away with this "IMO false" advertising and its strange that all BB in my area did different pricing regardless to their advertising. (least in my area) I would like to know how legal it is about the advertising issue though. Anyone know?

It might be illegal if you count it as "bait and switch". They advertise something at a low price to get you into the store, and then tell you "we don't have any of those, but you can buy something similar that costs you more".

Back