iPhone: hardware 3D acceleration?

hidefguy

Newcomer
I don't see how they could have demo'd a Google Maps zoom without hardware 3D acceleration - anyone have an inside scoop on what the GPU component inside the iPhone might be?

Google Maps zoom is just a 2D zoom done via the browser.

Nope, I know the google maps isn't 3D, but depending on the speed of the zoom, it would indicate 2D and possibly 3D acceleration. The keynote isn't online yet, so I'll have to wait to check - at the moment, all I'm going on is commentary from Gizmodo.

The current Google Maps is a javascript web browser zoom by just setting new width/height image properties. It is not even bilinearly sampled.

They may have 3d acceleration, but Google Maps doesn't indicate it. CoverFlow, Core Animation, etc are more likely pieces requiring 3d, although, with such a small screen, they could get away with CPU assist and 2D line/fill acceleration, since they won't even render more than a flat quad with a photo, or a cube. :)

The current Google Maps is a javascript web browser zoom by just setting new width/height image properties. It is not even bilinearly sampled.

They may have 3d acceleration, but Google Maps doesn't indicate it. CoverFlow, Core Animation, etc are more likely pieces requiring 3d, although, with such a small screen, they could get away with CPU assist and 2D line/fill acceleration, since they won't even render more than a flat quad with a photo, or a cube. :)

If you look at the animation here http://www.apple.com/iphone/internet/?feature=feature04
you can see that the iPhone google maps, is a ad hoc application, with nice animations.

and also look the coverflow page to see 3d animations.

did they go nvidia in the end?

did they go nvidia in the end?

They didn't say. For the prices they're charging, it should have 3D acceleration.:D

Someone will do a tear-down and reveal things like RAM, where they're storing the OS and apps, etc.

But actually, the more interesting gaming potential may lie in the accelerometer and the proximity sensor, assuming those can be programmed by application developers. That is, not limited to the OS functions which they demoed.

You know, since the Wii is such a big hit for gestures and such. Wii devices obviously are more capable but so far, a lot of Wii games only appear to be detecting acceleration.

Of course the proximity sensor may not register until your hands are practically on the screen, which means it wouldn't be useful for gaming.

I would like to know why they're releasing the iPhone without 3G. Especially since they seem to have a really nice browser built in.

I would like to know why they're releasing the iPhone without 3G. Especially since they seem to have a really nice browser built in.
Because the platform they're using is single-chip and the chip they're using is 2G/EDGE-only, maybe? :) Other reasons might have had an influence, but supporting both EDGE and 3G would have cost them an extra chip in the current state of things, which wouldn't have been worth the extra costs and, potentially, bulk.

Uttar

Really?

3G isn't backwards-commpatible with EDGE?

Anyways, Cingular is just rolling out their 3G networks.

So why did they choose Cingular? Maybe Cingular paid for the exclusivity.

If you eventually unlock it, the main advantage of Cingular is for things like the Visual Voice Mail feature. Looks like there is some backend technology needed for that and that's probably proprietary.

3G isn't backwards-commpatible with EDGE?
I don't think that's the problem. The chip they selected is EDGE-only AFAIK, if I'm right on what their platform is. There was no equivalent single-chip solution that also featured 3G, so that'd have cost them an extra chip; not exactly desirable, to say the least.

The fact the 3G networks aren't very widespread yet would be one of the reasons why that was designed with it, though - so arguably, that's kind of a chicken-and-egg problem too, albeit a solvable one in the longer term.

Uttar

Well CNBC reported this morning that it's using an Intel processor. They showed Intel stock up slightly while AAPL was up a lot.

Reuters also reported Intel processor but no identification of the specific part.

Hey to me, Wifi trumps 3G because I have no interest in paying for a lot of mobile data.

If they really want mobile Internet to take off, they need to do something like a $20 a month unlimited plan at broadband rates. Flat rate pricing is what made the Internet take off in the '90s.

I don't think that's the problem. The chip they selected is EDGE-only AFAIK, if I'm right on what their platform is. There was no equivalent single-chip solution that also featured 3G, so that'd have cost them an extra chip; not exactly desirable, to say the least.

The fact the 3G networks aren't very widespread yet would be one of the reasons why that was designed with it, though - so arguably, that's kind of a chicken-and-egg problem too, albeit a solvable one in the longer term.

Uttar

So what platform do you think its on?

It would really be wonderful to always be near a wifi hotspot. Have a service where you pay 1c a min to connect to it, or pay monthly for megabyte usage.

Then use someone like skype to make calls over IP.

Who needs the networks now? :p

Samsung's own S3C2460 application processor SoC, with MBX Lite core, is recently in volume production.

The 2700G multimedia chip, previously from Intel, is now with Marvell, and they say the XScale business is gaining new customers now after the transfer.

Samsung's own S3C2460 application processor SoC, with MBX Lite core, is recently in volume production.

The 2700G multimedia chip, previously from Intel, is now with Marvell, and they say the XScale business is gaining new customers now after the transfer.

Are you saying that the iPhone has an MBX Lite core?

No. I was just suggesting two possible processors for the possibility that the phone has hardware 3D, based on which companies are speculated to be providing chips.

Back