iPhone benchmarked with GLBenchmark

I finally saw the video today. The control looks a little weird. Guess that part hasn't been sorted out yet. Still, this bodes very well for iPhone, iPod touch gaming.

Gosh, the float performance of the Apple CPU is way beyond anything else in that database. How is this being used in the system. Performance wise other phones are managing similar on a sixth the power - I'm curious over Apple's choice of FP strong CPU.
That's probably because the CPU in the iPhone actually has a hardware accelerated FPU.

As far as I can tell, it's one of the only ones that do. My Dell Axim x51v, for example, has to simulate floating-point math in software (which, as you can imagine, is incredibly slow).

That's probably because the CPU in the iPhone actually has a hardware accelerated FPU.

As far as I can tell, it's one of the only ones that do. My Dell Axim x51v, for example, has to simulate floating-point math in software (which, as you can imagine, is incredibly slow).

OMAP2420 (ARM1136JF-S) has a VFP, and it has been mounted on N93, N95 and so on. In my opinion, the low FPU results on those phones are due to a compiler issue / missing option. VFP hard instructions are correctly emitted by the Apple toolkit.

Gosh, the float performance of the Apple CPU is way beyond anything else in that database. How is this being used in the system. Performance wise other phones are managing similar on a sixth the power - I'm curious over Apple's choice of FP strong CPU.

They're using modified OSX libraries right? Maybe OSX was programmed with a heavy FP dependence.

Some of the more recent changes to the GLBenchmark rankings are interesting.

All of the results of high triangle rates of around 2M/sec scored by various HTC and LG devices containing ATi/AMD/Qualcomm graphics have disappeared, though the scores of upwards of 6.5M/sec achieved by the iPhone 3G S would've left them far behind anyway.

PowerVR's dominance of the top twenty-six spots has finally come to an end with the appearance of a next-generation, Z430 powered device, the Acer F1. However, the F1 isn't actually a product on the market yet.

Back