iPhone benchmarked with GLBenchmark

kishonti

Newcomer
Hi All,

OpenGL ES performance numbers for iPhone are available at http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?D=Apple%20iPhone

iPhone is very close to the top, but Nokia N95/N93 are still somewhat faster in high level OpenGL ES 1.1 tests.

Although iPhone's CPU is faster than Nokias', it lacks matrix-palette support (GPU accelerated skinning) which drags its OpenGL ES 1.1 performance down.

Current 1.1.x iPhone also has 60 fps screen refresh limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh, the float performance of the Apple CPU is way beyond anything else in that database. How is this being used in the system. Performance wise other phones are managing similar on a sixth the power - I'm curious over Apple's choice of FP strong CPU.

about time.

Shifty said:
I'm curious over Apple's choice of FP strong CPU.

my speculation would be something along the line of an absent VGP.

on an unrelated note, can somebody enlighten me as to why this test measures some typically fillrate/bandwidth-bound tasks (like tex res and filtering modes) in triangles?

kishonti said:
Although iPhone's CPU is faster than Nokias', it lacks matrix-palette support (GPU accelerated skinning) which drags its OpenGL ES 1.1 performance down.
Off topic - but what is the size of supported MatrixPalettes on this class of GPUs?
If this is along the lines of 2000era accelerators(or certain modern handhelds for that matter) it might as well be ignored as a relevant benchmark.

darkblu said:
on an unrelated note, can somebody enlighten me as to why this test measures some typically fillrate/bandwidth-bound tasks (like tex res and filtering modes) in triangles?
Yea I wondered about that too.

The iPhone's consistency in performance across the different tests implies a solid implementation of its drivers, API, and related software environment.

Interestingly, the API reports that a VGP Lite is on board.

the same geometry is rotated with different lighting, texturing, filtering, etc settings in all lower level tests. using triangles/s as a unit makes easier to compare

Is a VGP Lite really included? Why no matrix-palette support?

The clock speed of the graphics processor truly must be around 100 MHz for the iPhone to rank so highly.

Off topic - but what is the size of supported MatrixPalettes on this class of GPUs?
If this is along the lines of 2000era accelerators(or certain modern handhelds for that matter) it might as well be ignored as a relevant benchmark.
Basically, are you asking how big is the constant store for the vertex program?

Simon said:
Basically, are you asking how big is the constant store for the vertex program?
The way kishonti worded his comment it sounded like hw he was referring to is fixed function :???:
But yea, info about constant space would be interesting to know either way. :p

The way kishonti worded his comment it sounded like hw he was referring to is fixed function :???:
But yea, info about constant space would be interesting to know either way. :p

Yes, iPhone is OpenGL ES 1.1 = fixed function.
The matrix palette size on OpenGL ES is usually 9, but there are other supported sizes like 16 (ARM/Falanx) or 31 (AMD, ES 1.1 Extension pack).

Ahh. Whether an API which is fixed-function can expose a programmable vertex unit is a completely different matter.

Ahh. Whether an API which is fixed-function can expose a programmable vertex unit is a completely different matter.

ooh.

gosh, i'm slow today. it took me the above _and_ lazy's post to trigger my reaction to go and check more closely the gl env report. good news, nevertheless.

kishonti said:
the same geometry is rotated with different lighting, texturing, filtering, etc settings in all lower level tests. using triangles/s as a unit makes easier to compare

so basically you're doing a '3d mark game test' there. i see.

i, for one, would appreciate a more synthetic test designed to tell me the fillrate implications of those parameters (i.e. tex res and filtering modes) rather than measuring triangles for the sake of relating across the board. moreover, you can use a measure like pixels/s to the same effect.

SimonF said:
Not budging huh? :p
Anyway thanks for reminding me why I dislike working with these generalized APIs - not to mention I'm about to start work where I'll no longer be able to avoid them :cry:

darkblu said:
i, for one, would appreciate a more synthetic test designed to tell me the fillrate implications of those parameters (i.e. tex res and filtering modes) rather than measuring triangles for the sake of relating across the board.
Especially since measuring triangles just for the sake of it can very well hide the actual performance implications of varying those parameters.

Back