Interview with Dave "Wavey" Baumann

OMG!!!11
The World Saviour in flesh and blood...
bow.gif

Yeah that was a good read. I don't know if his take on physics and the state of ATI Stream matches the current reality but I guess he already knows where things are going to be in a few months so that may help form his perspective.

Interesting read. And I found this bit really interesting...

It should be noted that the demonstrations we have done to date have had zero impact on the Havok toolset itself. In other words, in this case the developer does not need to change anything from their point of view to enable GPU acceleration; it is entirely transparent.

I would appear there is work being done by ATI independantly of Havok to internally translate Havok routines into OpenCL routines on ATI hardware. Which would seem to imply that it's possible in the future for any Havok title (past/present/future) to have some form of GPU assisted physics processing.

However, the bit after that seems to imply that ATI's work in that OpenCL layer may be included with Havok sometime in the future and/or ATI is working closely with Havok to implement an OpenCL layer for Havok.

Either way, it's interesting to note that great pains are being made, apparently, to ensure that Havok doesn't change in any way from a developer's standpoint with regards to Physics on GPU. Everything in that regards appears to be planned to be as transparent as possible with Havok/OpenCL layer automatically determining what gets processed on CPU and what gets processed on GPU.

Interesting stuff...

Regards,
SB

Remember, AMD's product warranty does not cover damages caused by overclocking, even when overclocking is enabled via AMD software.

Also, no F1 questions!? What a crock! :D

Really, F1 materials in GPU design would be awesome. The carbon-fibre reinforced PCB, you could stand on it and it won't break.

Really, F1 materials in GPU design would be awesome. The carbon-fibre reinforced PCB, you could stand on it and it won't break.

Only problem with that is. If it was designed like an F1, it would go MUCH faster in corner cases and the card would have to be completely rebuilt between races. ;)

Although having your video card fan sound like an F1 revving might not be a bad thing...the first 2 or 3 days. ;)

Regards,
SB

Awesome read, and. I always thought Dave to be more of a Kevin Smith bearded kind of guy.

Back