Internal HD DVD-ROM drive, someday?

Doh. Another reason why no one should consider the 360 add on as a PC HD-DVD drive. It's cheap but you get what you pay for it seems.

Doh another reason not to give them any more money until all this BS is straightened out and we know what we pay for will work in the future...

"The supplier advices that users looking forward HD DVD playback should have a powerful dual-core central processing unit, such as AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Intel Pentium D 945 or more advanced. The company also recommends users to ensure that their graphics cards is, at least, as powerful as ATI Radeon X1600 or Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT. HP notes that the graphics card and monitor should be HDCP-compliant, even though there is unofficial information that this is not a compulsory requirement for high-resolution HD DVD playback nowadays."

Interesting, becouse I have a A64 3200+ and a 7900GT (PureVideo software installed) and it plays HD-DVD movies 60-80% CPU usage and BD movies fluid. Especially mpeg2 ~20-40MBit (BD), max 35% CPU usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
it plays HD-DVD movies 60-80% CPU usage and BD movies fluid. Especially mpeg2 ~20-40MBit, max 35% CPU usage.
I don't get what you're trying to say? Of course decoding MPEG2 is much less computationally expensive than the alternatives. Had you gotten widely different CPU-usage on the same encode (or even different movies but with the same codec, similar bitrate, and a similar action pace), now that might be interesting.

I don't get what you're trying to say? Of course decoding MPEG2 is much less computationally expensive than the alternatives. Had you gotten widely different CPU-usage on the same encode (or even different movies but with the same codec, similar bitrate, and a similar action pace), now that might be interesting.

I quoted the wrong text, it was this quote I was basing my post on! :oops:

Of course MPEG2 requires less but I wrote the CPU usage for h264 too.

"The supplier advices that users looking forward HD DVD playback should have a powerful dual-core central processing unit, such as AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Intel Pentium D 945 or more advanced. The company also recommends users to ensure that their graphics cards is, at least, as powerful as ATI Radeon X1600 or Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT. HP notes that the graphics card and monitor should be HDCP-compliant, even though there is unofficial information that this is not a compulsory requirement for high-resolution HD DVD playback nowadays."

Ah. That makes sense. Slimline HD-DVD sales, on the other hand, in the context of decoding CPU utilization really did not. :smile:

I've always wondered myself why the 'mainstream' commercial decoders have had so piss poor efficiency. Ever since Apple started promoting H.264 in QT6 they've been orders of magnitude slower than ffmpeg. The most reasonable explanation I can think of is that the hardware industry saw HD as an opportunity to push their wares to early adopters, and the software vendors follow the hardware since bundle sales are their meat and potatoes. Thus, I guess the likes of Cyberlink and Intervideo saw little incentive to spend time optimizing their CPU decoding, allowing for CoreAVC to enter that niche in the market.

I'd be interested to see benchmarks comparing the fastest CPU-based decoders with the GPU-accelerated ones when the reversing community get demuxing of the HD formats up to par.

Interesting, becouse I have a A64 3200+ and a 7900GT (PureVideo software installed) and it plays HD-DVD movies 60-80% CPU usage and BD movies fluid. Especially mpeg2 ~20-40MBit (BD), max 35% CPU usage.

do you have the 360 hd-dvd player hooked to your computer?

do you have the 360 hd-dvd player hooked to your computer?

No, I bought King Kong HD edition and then had my friend rip it off to me on DVDs from his computer that has the 360 HD-DVD player. The 360 HD-DVD players form and color doesn't fit my taste so I am still waiting for other external HD players to be released. :smile:

No, I bought King Kong HD edition and then had my friend rip it off to me on DVDs from his computer that has the 360 HD-DVD player. The 360 HD-DVD players form and color doesn't fit my taste so I am still waiting for other external HD players to be released. :smile:

did it play smoothly on your rig?

no quality loss after the conversion?

how many Gb?

did it play smoothly on your rig?

no quality loss after the conversion?

how many Gb?

Silky smooth with no frames dropped. It was not a conversion but a complete ripp off so it's the same as viewing it from the disc just that I have it on my HDD (~27GB, ~24Mbit/sec). The ripp off was split with WinRAR in to smaller files to fit on the DVDs.

Back