intel v-tune performance analyzer, something like it?

Sage

13 short of a dozen
Regular
I really need something that will help me figure out what .dll is eating up my systems cpu. it looked like v-tune would do that for me and i got a trial key for it but i cant get it to install. my computer is currently NONFUNCTIONAL and the ONLY way to find out what's causing the problem / fix it is to dig deep and find exactly what file is doing it.

Just re-install the feckin thing! :p You're trying to patch holes in the roof of a house that's both worm- and ant-ridden. Just realize there is a point when nothing can be done anymore with a terminal patient. Accept these basic facts of life... :p

Guden Oden said:
Just re-install the feckin thing! :p You're trying to patch holes in the roof of a house that's both worm- and ant-ridden. Just realize there is a point when nothing can be done anymore with a terminal patient. Accept these basic facts of life... :p

but i CANT reinstall.... i'll loose EVERYTHING!

it's not a question of how willing i am, i just cant

what.txt in c:\ said:
PreParse: 2264796 PostParse: 2264812 PostProc: 2264812
Parse: 16 Process: 0

end

PreParse: 2265156 PostParse: 2265171 PostProc: 2265187
Parse: 15 Process: 16

end

PreParse: 2265234 PostParse: 2265281 PostProc: 2265281
Parse: 47 Process: 0

end

PreParse: 2265484 PostParse: 2265500 PostProc: 2265531
Parse: 16 Process: 31

end

:?: :?: :?:

i can't reinstall. if it comes to it i'll just have to run in safe mode with networking support. reinstall is not an option.

Why not make an image of the whole C partition with a bootable image software thingy? You can then browse the image like a normal drive with some image apps (like acronis true image) later and restore whatever files were important.

If you don't have another partition you'll have to reinstall. Denial doesn't help :cry: You have to embrace the reinstall.

yeah i have two partitions and a spare 200GB drive. both partitions are full. the 200GB drive is plugged into a add-on controller card so i cant boot from it.

You can also "repair" an installation of XP when booting from the install CD. It keeps all your stuff put tries to reinstall all the the core system files. That sometimes does the trick. You'll have to reapply all the service packs etc., though.

[maven said:
]You can also "repair" an installation of XP when booting from the install CD. It keeps all your stuff put tries to reinstall all the the core system files. That sometimes does the trick. You'll have to reapply all the service packs etc., though.

yeah or, at the worst case, uninstall SP1 and do an in-place upgrade. I've done that before.

What do you mean "lose everything"? What have you put on your C-partition that you can't part with? The only stuff you should ever keep there is windows and programs, and possibly the "my documents" folder if you can't be bothered to move it elsewhere or don't use it for anything.

This is so you can easily reformat should the need arise man!

If push comes to shove, a 200-250GB harddrive can be had for next to nothing these days. Buy one, plug it in, copy off all the crap you can't be without, then bite the sour apple and do the reinstall. You're nuts keeping the one you got now, just plain nuts! :D

yeah, i already have a 200GB WD JB harddrive installed. BUT, there is so much crap there and so amny settings and things that it would take me months to get everything back and not to mention stuff that not only do i not remember i did it but i will likely never find out how to do it again. there's faaar too much I'd be loosing. not just files and stuff. even then, finding all of the crap i want to keep would take forever.

On another note, is there anything out there like the old Intel Performance Counter Tool that only ran on Win9x and Intel CPUs but for Windows XP and runs on AMD CPUs?

You can reinstall without reformating the C: disk.
I reinstalled with a slipstreamed XP Pro SP2 CD and saved many GB of data.
I also deleted a lot of old files, Documents and Program Files before the reinstalation.

problem fixed. told you arses that I'd get it fixed. nya. didnt have to reinstall.

Looks like sage has lost his installation CDs for all his legally bought games/applications :p

Why don't u just use task manager to find out which program is eating all your CPU usage and uninstall the application?

Sage said:
problem fixed.

No it isn't. You're still living in a rotten, vermin-ridden house of cards...

told you arses that I'd get it fixed. nya. didnt have to reinstall.

...Only until it breaks down for you next time, which won't be long. You're just causing yourself more grief this way.

Guden Oden said:
Sage said:
problem fixed.

No it isn't. You're still living in a rotten, vermin-ridden house of cards...

told you arses that I'd get it fixed. nya. didnt have to reinstall.

...Only until it breaks down for you next time, which won't be long. You're just causing yourself more grief this way.

no, it's run a good year without any problems. and the only roblem a year ago was I had to change the HAL and install different motherboard chipset drivers.

Sage, they have a Windows XP user settings export wizard. It should take care of all the magic settings you had.

Back