Intel to demo fanless, cool 5GHz chip

pascal

Veteran
See it here: http://www.theinquirer.org/04020212.htm

Intel to demo fanless, cool 5GHz chip

Confirms Ovonics deal, McKinley details
By Mike Magee, 04/02/2002 15:04:23 BST

CHIP GIANT INTEL confirmed the large caches it will include on future versions of the Itanium and has also further explained its tie in with Ovonics on these chips, first revealed here some months ago.
Intel is delivering eleven papers at the Solid State conference. Along with this, Intel has now formally released details of the 3MB cache on chip which it claims will deliver 1.5 to two times performance over the current designs.

The low latency level three cache which will be included in the McKinley design is expected to give better performance for the processor, which will be used in servers.

There's a more detailed picture of the McKinley die than the one we published last week, here.

Intel, according to chief technical officer Pat Gelsinger, is facing the challenge of providing chips with high performance, low power, and low leakage.

To that end, the company will design circuits which will use a new design of arithmetic logic unit (ALU) to reduce circuitries, and is now capable of demonstrating a 5GHz chip at .13 micron process technology which can operate at room temperature. The test chip shows active power reduced by 23 per cent, and standby leakage reduced by 3.5 times.

This diagram shows the Intel block layout for the 5GHz processor.

This processor, note, is a 32-bit chip - it's a different presentation from the McKinley that we detailed above.

At the same time, Intel also released details of its 4MB test die, which you can find by clicking here.

What is the Ovonics deal? SOI?

IIRC Ovonics was an Intel spin-off/joint venture/company it bought that was making flash and SRAMs using polymer.

But, I could be wrong.

BenM: you are right.

BTW, it wasn't a full blown CPU intel demo-ed. Just an "Integer Execution Core" (think of P4 double pumped ALU).

Impressive nonethless, Nexus.

The question is what is it exactly? Can it be used or applied to desktop core?

Running at 5 GHz would require a very low voltage and capcitance otherwise the wattage would go through the roof.

Not terribly impressive from what I've heard so far, though I may be mistaken. Looks like what a P4 2.5Ghz would feature though, no? Since we're already at 2.2Ghz, that's not that big a jump. Seems to me the only impressive part would be the lack of a fan. And considering it's just the one sub-unit, surely the transistor count, power useage, and thus heat are all lower? If anyone has more info on the subject, perhaps I can resume being impressed. :D

- JavaJones

Back