Intel nForce Confirmed

Arun

Unknown.
Legend
Hey,

Lazy people, lazy posts:

From www.notforidiots.com/GPURW.php
Confirmation of the existence of a Intel nForce project has been recieved. This project seems to be one of the most, if not the most, secretive project in nVidia's history. Further details such as schedule or technical aspects of the project are thus unlikely to get through for some time.
Due to the potential financial impact of this information, I have considered not to leak this. This has finally only been leaked because this is practically only a very reliable confirmation of something many significantly less reliable people said. It is in no way new information.

I'd say "Questions?" - but considering I know nearly nothing else, I'd only be guessing, hehe. So if you want to have a guess party, you know how to ask for one now! :)

Uttar[/url]

Well, since it won't be released for at least several months if not more, I'm sure there'll be other technologies then. Intel most certainly is a formidable competitor, though...

BTW, I think I just realized this is not the right forum for this. I'm not sure which one is though - I4m sure the mods will figure that out for me! ;) :)

Uttar

Intel has been carving out graphics marketshare with their integrated solutions. Nvidia probably want some of that back.

Also Intel chipsets has traditionally been expensive (because they're good) so it should be possible to compete on cost and still make a buck (Nv's chipsets are _good_ too).

Cheers
Gubbi

The soundstorm is the best built in audio solution out there, I've been patiently twiddling my thumbs waiting for an Intel version of that.

PURE SPECULATION MODE: I wonder if there was some legal ramifications with xbox that prevented them from making a intel based chipset?

Doomtrooper said:
Nvidia does not have a patent cross-license agreement , so how are they able to produce chipsets ??

An agreement may be in the works. (I would assume so if nvidia is persuing this.)

Having said that, a patent cross-license agreement with Intel is something that would have to be made public very soon after an actual agreement is made, so I would assume no agreement has been signed at this point.

Heh...do nVidia investors keep tabs on NotforIdiots? Significant increase in NVDA today. ;)

I'm wondering if the street has gotten a whiff of this rumor...if so, I'm sure we'll see it reported by someone...

Somewhat unrelated issue: Uttar, on your website you repeatedly mentioned that certain NV4x products will be produced on a 110nm process. I've only heard of DRAM being produced on 110nm, never logic. So who's making it and why 110nm?

Joe DeFuria said:
Uttar said:
This project seems to be one of the most, if not the most, secretive project in nVidia's history.

Not any more, apparently. ;)

That's not what I meant. Figuring out if a project exists is significantly easier than finding its technical details and schedule. I seriously doubt we'll get any serious technical or schedule info for a while, and frankly, your guess is as good as mine for that.

I'll quote something I just posted at nV News though, in relation to some people asking where the license is:
Well they could say it soon. I see no reason for which they'd have to reveal that stuff as soon as the project begins. Or if nVidia wanted, they could always ask Intel not to say it anytime soon for whichever reason they can imagine.

Those interviews are fairly old anyway IIRC. Also, it isn't out of the question nVidia doesn't have a license yet, but is working on the project, and will try to get the best possible deal when they have to release it.

Obviously, at standard fees, Intel would probably never refuse to give a license. So nVidia might be hoping to ask for one later, and hope to have a technology demonstration of their proposed first product ready, as well as a better foothold in the AMD market - those are all factors that might help them to get a better deal with Intel when they'll get it - if they don't have it yet, that is.

Uttar

EDIT: Morrow: I disagree it has really been confirmed before. I've had yet to see anyone who said it was sure, and every time I've seen that, I've seen some fairly massive doubts from everyone. I just hope people would believe it now, but eh...

Of course, I too wonder where the license is, and that's really all speculation. But we'll see I guess...

Nonamer: I'm not sure actually. I would speculate it's IBM which makes it. As for why 110nm - maybe because 90nm won't be ready in that timeframe and 110nm is smaller than 130nm? ;)
Although maybe some of the 110nm production will be done at TSMC, but they seem so insistant on having their 90nm ready so soon that that'd make no sense.

nVidia probably got a bit of experience with those type of processes now - the NV18C, a NV18 optical die shrink which marketing didn't care about, is on 0.14u, and the NV34B ( unsure about the real details on that part ) will also be on 0.14u. So unlike the NV30, they aren't really going in unknown territory: I think, although I'm not 100% sure either, but 0.11u, 0.14u, and similar processes which aren't often used for logic all got similarities.

Although putting a 150M+ part ( the NV45 ) on that process, probably even more like 160-175M, will certainly be a challenge IMO!

Uttar

Uttar

Uttar said:
Nonamer: I'm not sure actually. I would speculate it's IBM which makes it. As for why 110nm - maybe because 90nm won't be ready in that timeframe and 110nm is smaller than 130nm? ;)
Although maybe some of the 110nm production will be done at TSMC, but they seem so insistant on having their 90nm ready so soon that that'd make no sense.

nVidia probably got a bit of experience with those type of processes now - the NV18C, a NV18 optical die shrink which marketing didn't care about, is on 0.14u, and the NV34B ( unsure about the real details on that part ) will also be on 0.14u. So unlike the NV30, they aren't really going in unknown territory: I think, although I'm not 100% sure either, but 0.11u, 0.14u, and similar processes which aren't often used for logic all got similarities.

Although putting a 150M+ part ( the NV45 ) on that process, probably even more like 160-175M, will certainly be a challenge IMO!

Uttar

Uttar

Hey, I found a article about the 110nm process.link. Apparently, you can use either 248nm or 193nm wavelength lithography on 110nm, but it doesn't seem possible on 90nm. Looks like there's some major problems at 90nm and 193nm lithography they need to deal with and that Nvidia doesn't want to just yet.

I guess you could simply produce a 110nm part from a 90nm fab since they look similar. Perhaps this is a testbed for fab technology until they are confident to fully go to 90nm?

I think keeping NVIDIA out of the P4 chipset market also has something to do with the seemingly robust relationship between Intel and ATI. Also, SIS and VIA are smallfries, whereas NVIDIA is a serious competitor. It'd make sense for Intel to protect their own market.

However, I too dream of the day when I can have a SOUNDSTORM setup running with a P4 :?

zurich said:
I think keeping NVIDIA out of the P4 chipset market also has something to do with the seemingly robust relationship between Intel and ATI. Also, SIS and VIA are smallfries, whereas NVIDIA is a serious competitor. It'd make sense for Intel to protect their own market.

However, I too dream of the day when I can have a SOUNDSTORM setup running with a P4 :?
But doesn't Intel want to get out of the chipset market?

keegdsb said:
zurich said:

Why would they want to do that???? Maybe you're thinking of AMD (who actually said that)?

zurich said:
keegdsb said:
zurich said:

Why would they want to do that???? Maybe you're thinking of AMD (who actually said that)?
Hmm, maybe I am, but I could have sworn Intel said it too. Oh well.

Sounds like crazy talk to me. they have had a lot of success with their Mobo chipsets since the BX. Now they are capturing the enthusiast market with the 875's as well.

Back