In interesting situation with the PS3 and HDMI1.3 regarding BR playback

I don´t think CD´s sound like crap and Vinyl is omg the best ever, i´m just saying that CD´s of today and yesterday are tiring in a way i don´t get from Vinyls.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that. Just can't stand when people romanticise vinyl, - it was CRAP.

I blame the piss poor sample rate of CD´s, 44000 samples pr second and a max frequency of 20.000 hz, fantastic. And the retarded 16bit sample range, just how many bits is there for the low volume parts? I visited a radio station where they had HiFi indicators on their CD-Players, they would "blink" if players hit the 16 limit.. not very often :)

I'll bet a month's wage that you can't hear a thing above 20KHz.

16 bits equates to 96dB. Listening to music with very high dynamic range (like old shit... like Kraftwerk) in the 30dB range and a 6dB guard band, you're still looking at a minimum 60dB SNR. Way more than good enough.

And as for your HiFi indicators. The reason they blink when you use the 16th bit is because the signal would be above -6dB, which is a warning that you should TURN DOWN.

Cheers

Aha. An audiophile. :) Fair enough then, and good for you.

For the rest of the world I'd still argue it's in the same league as the 'deep color benefit' though. ;)

I can probably find some folks who think it makes all the difference because they know what to look for.

I can here the difference of lossless...and I think it's quite significant. The whole sound, is a lot fuller....especially in the base area. You have to have a good set of speakers to show it off though,

The real benefits are:

HDMI 1.3 incorporates an automatic video/audio synching capability that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with total accuracy.

Do any tv's support that now?

HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audioâ„¢.

Great, except the current advanced spec discs (BR and HD-DVD) don't support sending those tracks to the AVR directly. Sound is supposed to be mixed in the player then sent to the AVR. Can any high def player encode these new lossless formats?

And higher bandwidth i guess mainly for future use in new standards.

I don´t see the Audio Mess?

Only thing i can agree on is Deep Color, but hey, i wouldn´t be surprised if we both looked like fools in 5 years where Deep Color could be the only way to go :)

I read that Deep Color isn't supported by the BR or HD-DVD standards so we will probably never see it then. Although from what I hear they could do it for games.

And as for your HiFi indicators. The reason they blink when you use the 16th bit is because the signal would be above -6dB, which is a warning that you should TURN DOWN.

Cheers

Why it wouldn´t be a -6dB indicator instead? is radio broadcast done the same way all over the world?

Do any tv's support that now?
This would be the AVR as well, and surely they will.
Great, except the current advanced spec discs (BR and HD-DVD) don't support sending those tracks to the AVR directly. Sound is supposed to be mixed in the player then sent to the AVR. Can any high def player encode these new lossless formats?

As i understand it the PS3 decodes the Dolby format and transmits it as PCM, it doesnt support DTS yet.

As i understand it the PS3 decodes the Dolby format and transmits it as PCM, it doesnt support DTS yet.

This has nothing to do with HDMI1.3. Even HDMI1.1 receivers will accept the decoded PCM stream. You've basically missed the whole point of the thread.

This has nothing to do with HDMI1.3. Even HDMI1.1 receivers will accept the decoded PCM stream. You've basically missed the whole point of the thread.

And you missed the point of mine, so i will post the main part here again:

My take on this, is that the absolute best place for the audio to be decoded is in the Reciever/Decoder, and it will be perfect if the Reciever also has a Digital Output stage like TactAudio or some the highend Sony Recievers from the last years.

Feeding PCM to a reciever is the next best thing, it just requires the player to have all the needed controls for setting it up perfectly for your room and display.
Something like Room Correction, even on a very crude level is also very handy. But few, if any player will support this.

So the problem is that eventhough the audio signal is in a digital domain (being PCM( the handling of it in the reciever is hindered by the lack of information that was in the bitstream, if it has to process to PCM stream in any form it may result in resampling or just generally screwing around with it. And since the encoding information is gone from the PCM streams at best it can only some more general stuff you can do to the stream, again at the risk of making it sound worse.

Just so I know that I am on the same page.

Movie (With PiP>>advanced content encoded on disc) -> Player (BR or HD-DVD), player decodes all sound streams and mixes them together as they are not mixed normally -> AVR, receives audio stream from player as either dd/dts or pcm and video as uncompressed something (mpeg??)-> tv gets video stream from AVR.

Deep Color has to be encoded on the disc, supported (passed through) both the player and the avr and supported on the tv. Neither hd movie formats support DC on disc.

Auto Synchonization has to be supported by the tv and avr. AFAIK, no current tv supports it, so even if your avr did it is based on the timing from the tv.

Is all the above even slightly accurate?

Nothing wrong with getting hardware which supports Deep Color and better audio in case future formats support these standards.

Unless HDMI 1.3 really raises the price of receivers and TVs over older HDMI.

But there is also competition from DisplayPort, isn't there?

So SI is probably pushing the feature set, even if current formats don't support all the fetures.

Again, what's the problem in putting the infrastructure in place now, unless it raises costs/prices unreasonably for features which may never be supporte?

I don't know the prices of these upcoming receivers but it appears the new displays which may be supporting 1.3 aren't priced higher than the previous displays which didn't have 1.3.

Back