PS3 Media Server Club

pascal

Veteran
Lets share experience using the PS3 Media Server (PSM) which is a free DLNA server.
More details www.ps3mediaserver.org .

Just Installed the PS3 Media Server in my PC.
First I uninstalled all PC filters, codecs and players.
Then I installed the following software in sequence:
- PS3 Media Server
- VLC player
- Avisynth
- VSfilter
- CCCP codec pack
- CoreAVC

I didnt configured any of these softwares and everything is working fine. Music and movies are great, including MKVs with 720p/1080p AVCs and Dolby Digital.

My PS3 is connected to a receiver (toslink) and a plasma HDTV (HDMI).

The configuration is:
PC server i5 2.6GHz, 4GB ram, 3TB HD, nvidia 8600GT
100 Mbits network
PS3 slim
receiver Marantz SR6003 (toslink)
HDTV Panasonic P50GT30B (HDMI)

The PC server is runing with +/- 5 percent CPU usage and 8% network usage for 720p DD movies and it is playing silk smoth. :smile:

I am in the begining of the learning curve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use it installed on a Windows laptop that my father smashed the screen on. Makes a good headless server with a big external hard drive plugged in. The only trick is making sure TSmux is the preferred method for rendering video to clients so it remuxes h.264 video instead of transcoding. The most recent version 1.72 stopped defaulting to TSmux so you have to bump it up the list of transcoders in the option screen.

With a PS3 everything just works. Other DLNA clients are hit and miss. Some things work on my Viera Plasma's DLNA app, but it doesn't handle widescreen video files that have been cropped. Basically it wants to make everything fill the screen instead of displaying the vertical pixels 1:1. The decoder chip also seems to choke on high bitrate h.264, including a number of my 1080p files. Those are client problems, though, not server problems.

I've been using Plex media server and it does well with the Samsung Plex app and the LG app. Android app costs money, but DLNA support thus far is okay. Haven't tried an iDevice.

so you install all this software on your pc so you can send movies to a ps3 so it can send them to your tv
why not just connect you pc to the tv ? whats the point of the ps3 seems to just be acting as a fancy tv out which isnt needed these days ???

The PS3 is in the living room as part of the home theather with all support like easy to use remote control, nice furniture http://www.saccaro.com.br/produtos, home bar, varanda, etc...
My family can play games, listen to music, see movies and shows with comfort and great ambience. If I change the TV for something different there is no problem (I have already done that).

The ugly PC server is confined in the gabinet with all tecnical stuff, away from friends and family.

Also there is two others HDTV, one in the gabinet (this is direct conected) and other in the master room.
and three notebooks and 2 ipads are using wifi.

With a single server you can make all audio/video available to many places.

And there is the audio side.
The PS3 can send the hidef audio to the receiver via optical cable or HDMI.

Had so much problems with psmediaserver and different files I gave up. Of course Cinavia didn't really help either.

I now run HTPC's throughout my house with all media on a server in the basement.

so you install all this software on your pc so you can send movies to a ps3 so it can send them to your tv
why not just connect you pc to the tv ? whats the point of the ps3 seems to just be acting as a fancy tv out which isnt needed these days ???

Or just buy a wd live tv, play-on or whatever for 50 bucks and put a network hdd or nas somewhere in the house and be done with it. No messing around with codecs, no need to have your pc on etc.

For me it's either a HTPC or one of these small media boxes. Anything else is just inconvenient.

The wd live tv looks good but cost US$ 500,00 here.

The PS3 is already there for games. Anything else is more cost, space and new GUI.
The PS3 bluetooth TV remote is very fast and convenient.
The PC has 4TB of storage and growing. Also it is an HTPC for the gabinet and dlna server for the living room (PS3) HT.

I tested some 1080p 8GB MKVs and it worked great with 7% of CPU and 10~15% of net.

Installed the new PS3 Media Server 1.81.0 and replaced CCCP codec pack with K-Lite Codec Pack.

Testing now and sound is better :)

Back