Improbable Food

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
Okay, so we're at this little pub in. . .uhh, the Highlands of Scotland somewhere. And I order, for the hell of it, jalapeno poppers. Now, I'm a native Californian --I *know* from Jalapeno Poppers. . . and these were marvellous. Which reminded me that the last time we were in the UK, in 1995, I ordered jalapeno poppers from a little hotel restaurant near Gatwick airport. . .and those were marvellous too.

So, clearly, the Brits, for some unknowable reason, "get" jalapeno poppers.

Thus my question for the group. . .tell your stories of having improbably good food items somewhere where they really had no business being able to make that particular food item as well as they did. . .

That's kind of a tough one. We were in Mexico and suprisingly had very good italian food. Taht's about the best I can come up with though. I can certainly speak about food that we *thought* would be good and was terrible though! :)

In Costa Rica, my wife ordered chicken tacos because we figured they are reasonably close to mexico so they have got to get them atleast somewhere in the ball park of being right. Well, they had the tortilla right. Other than that though, it was something reasembling cold chicken salad (Mayo and all) with sliced carrots and cucumber. Almost, but not entirely unlike a chicken taco from Mexico. :D

Nite_Hawk

Hehe I have a Highlands story as well. We went up to Eilean Donan Castle (our clans castle! :p ), and we stayed @ the Dornie Hotel right around the corner... I had haggis, and venison. Well you'd think if anyone made haggis well it would be here, and it was terribly good. I'd be afraid to try it anywhere else but there though. The servers father caught the deer (he's the game warden in the area), and her husband was the cook (the venison was killer tasty ta boot).

I dunno, I was in Montreal back in '94 I think, and they had increeeedible creme caramel desserts at EVERY friggin restaurant me and my dad went to... But then again they are french there, so maybe it doesn't count. :D

Hmmm, manger!

geo said:
Thus my question for the group. . .tell your stories of having improbably good food items somewhere where they really had no business being able to make that particular food item as well as they did. . .
You're american, man. By the Geneva Conventions, you're not allowed to talk about food, sorry.
:p

Now, about the story, I went to an Ethiopian restaurant and the plat du jour was... Pizza, since I'm not into vegetarian food, I skiped the menu and chose a plat du jour (Yes, I know that Pizza was also a vegeterian dish).
It was one of the best pizza I ever had. Yes, an Ethiopian Pizza... Strange world out there, heh?
Greetings from the 63rd World Science Fiction Convention, Glasgow, Scotland
NERD ALERT! ALL MEN TO YOUR STATIONS!

Vysez said:
It was one of the best pizza I ever had. Yes, an Ethiopian Pizza... Strange world out there, heh?

Pizzas...

Well, my father runs a restaurant here in south brazil, it's a "pizzaria".

What is a pizza? It is a bread pie covered with mussarela and tomato sauce. Most common is pizza calabreza, with slices of onions and olives.

However, brazilians have gone a bit further. They'll put anything together over a pizza with cheese. Brocolli, champignon, parmesan cheese, pepperoni are some basic ingredients.

Now what should surprise you is the fact that there are "dessert" pizzas with cheese and chocolate. They go even further as to put coconut. It's delicious... :)

The sacrilege most brazilians commit is dipping mostard, ketchup and mayonese over the pizza.

sorry best pizza is brooklyn pizza here in new jersey . ITs brick oven and is 18 a pie . Its great . I've been all over the world and no one makes pizza as good as this .

Went to a Turkish cafe/restaurant in my home town. Had a "New Orleans" pizza. It was quite spicy, with lots of chicken, humus, peppers and banana. Damn it was good.

MasterBaiter said:
Hehe I have a Highlands story as well. We went up to Eilean Donan Castle (our clans castle! :p ), and we stayed @ the Dornie Hotel right around the corner... I had haggis, and venison. Well you'd think if anyone made haggis well it would be here, and it was terribly good. I'd be afraid to try it anywhere else but there though. The servers father caught the deer (he's the game warden in the area), and her husband was the cook (the venison was killer tasty ta boot).

We were there yesterday! Damn, missed an opportunity to try haggis with a recommendation! I've been wanting to, but am afraid to do so other than somewhere that is known to do it well. . .

Vysez said:
You're american, man. By the Geneva Conventions, you're not allowed to talk about food, sorry.
:p

NERD ALERT! ALL MEN TO YOUR STATIONS!

Hang on a second, I can't hear you. . . let me take off my Vulcan ears. . .

I recently discovered the best cheese on toast in the world, at home!
The key is the cheese, I normally use a strong mature cheddar, however I recently tried some of the speciality cheeses at morrisons, and have found that 'Green Thunder' cheese is the one to go for when making cheese on toast.

To add a bit of spice you can also put a dash of jalapeno sauce on it.

Captain Chickenpants said:
I recently discovered the best cheese on toast in the world, at home!
The key is the cheese, I normally use a strong mature cheddar, however I recently tried some of the speciality cheeses at morrisons, and have found that 'Green Thunder' cheese is the one to go for when making cheese on toast.

To add a bit of spice you can also put a dash of jalapeno sauce on it.

You want to try Little Lincoln Imp cheese. It's so strong you won't need any jalapeno, your eyes will water on their own! I swear it burns the back of your throat! ;)

silence said:
ROFL..... nothing wrong with being SF fan.... as long as you dont wear Vulcan ears;)

Oh, I don't, just genially playing along for the stereotype. :) My passion is this www.heinleinsociety.org ;tho I also love the works of H. Beam Piper, Steven Brust, Roger Zelazny, John Brunner, Philip K. Dick, and I could go on. . .

This con is more lit'ry than "media", tho there is definitely its share of renfaire costumes and vulcan ears and stormtrooper outfits. On Saturday night they have the "masquerade" which is the competition for the people who are *seriously* into outfitting, and that will be spectacular (it always is at a worldcon).

Not that there is anything wrong with media SF --I like Highlander (and, indeed, my analysis of the differences between the American and Brit/Japanese versions of the first movie is, so far as I know, still the definitive one on the web), and Buffy and Angel and Firefly and Babylon 5 (and, yes, Star Trek TOS). :)

Back