I'm going to build a PC, and I'd like some advice.

I would personally do it differently, but I can see the logic in what you are doing. Its your money, anyway.

I'd love to do it different, but I'm working with what I got, and what my parents(Who are providing the cash for this. I'd pay for it myself if I could work, but my body is all fucked up. :()will accept.

Been thinking about a Motherboard replacement though... If DDR3 wasn't so frigging expensive I'd pick a board with that due to it probably being easier to find than DDR2(In the right price range, at least) a few years from now if something goes wrong and I got to replace a stick or two.

Also the reason why I'm deadset on two sticks of ram. This way, if one goes bad I can still use the other.

Edit: annnnnnd I just got good news. Parents have authorized me to make upgrades to the system to ensure it will last, and to make it better overall. :D I'm looking over PSUs right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why everyone hates Vista. It seems perfectly fine on my machine with a 6700, x800, and 2GB ram. No real difference in speed.

Of course I would not put it on my old laptop or anything. And if XP was cheaper I would just as soon run it. I don't know why anyone is all into upgrading to leopard, or whatever new cat is the name for the new apple os, or Vista. XP seems fine to me, and Vista didn't do much for me. Only experience with macs I have had lately has been less than encouraging to me. I don't really see the point anymore. Of course with bootcamp I don't see any reason to worry about one either.

IST, why do you care about the driver tuning options? Seriously, there seems little point to bother with those unless you have a true reason (so very few do). The HD 3850 is going to last you much much longer than the 8600 GTS. To the system it would extend the life greatly in terms of being usable in games a couple years from now.

IST, why do you care about the driver tuning options? Seriously, there seems little point to bother with those unless you have a true reason (so very few do). The HD 3850 is going to last you much much longer than the 8600 GTS. To the system it would extend the life greatly in terms of being usable in games a couple years from now.

I like tweaking PCs, and I'm probably going to replace the 8600 GTS now.

Also, I REALLY like tweaking PCs. >.> I'd do it all day if I could.

Back