If you could have 1 sports car, what would it be?

I'm a bit partial to vintage muscle cars, me. 8)
p0000378.jpg

aaronspink said:
Just make sure you don't stop. Nothing like having your brand new million dollar car overheat from sitting in stop and go traffic for 10 minutes....

Aaron Spink
Never stop. Specially at 384 Km/h (The fastest road car on the earth) 8)
Philosophy
From the beginning of the project, Gordon Murray, a famous ex-Formula One engineer and the chief engineer of the F1 road car project, set several rules for his supercar:
Mid-engined and central driving position - to provide perfect weight distribution like Formula One race car.
A normally aspirated engine - to provide instant throttle response and evenly distributed torque.
As light as possible - to improve acceleration, handling and brakes.
Apply the most sophisticated aerodynamics - to achieve record-breaking top speed and enhance high speed stability.
Undoubtedly, these ideas are exactly what made Formula one race cars so fast.

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/lancia/58/classic/mclaren.htm

bild9.jpg

Basic said:
pascal said:
Never stop. Specially at 384 Km/h (The fastest road car on the earth) 8)

Actually, a Koenigsegg CC beats that. :p
:oops: True but only for 2 mph.

There are some versions of F1 with more power and only 900 Kg. IIRC they never tried to break the record with this version.

erm.. what good is a high top speed if on a road course you get no where near that?
Besides, handling>top speed.

Bragging rights. 8) But you're right, it's pretty useless.

For road cars I think the virtual 250 km/h cap that many high end cars have is a good thing. You're unlikely to be limited by it anyway. (If you are limited by it, you shouldn't be allowed to drive a car anyway.)

On a closed track, you might be able to go a little faster than that on a straight, but definitely nowhere near 400 km/h. (Maybe on an oval, but how much fun is that?)

The only thing you get out of it is probably that if the car can handle close to 400 km/h, it's not very likely to be "nervous" on lower but practicaly reachable speeds.

I do agree that handling>top speed, these cars aren't bad at handling either. But I must admit that tke Koenigsegg is a bit untested (publically), so we don't know for sure about its performance.

Sonic said:
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your post. So is this elise just a prototype or showcase of Lotus technology? Or is it something that Lotus is looking into bringing into production?
I think someone else did the conversion.
A bit of googling seems it might have only been a prototype.

Leto said:
Nice to see so many people on the TVR bandwagon!

It looks like change will be the first order of business. ;)

TVR, the boutique British sports-car company, has been sold to Nikolai Smolenski, a twenty-three year-old Russian millionaire, who plans to expand the company to new markets, including possibly North America. Peter Wheeler, TVR's owner for the past twenty-three years, will continue as a consultant for the firm, which sells about 1000 cars annually.

SOURCE: Automobile magazine, October 2004

Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34)

4WD, very good handling, only about 300 hp unmodded, but even 600 hp achievable by changing few parts ( the 280hp limit is artificial, engine is designed for much more )

also better suited for real road/everyday use than some ferrari's.

subaru impreza wrx sti might be another possibility. Not so fast, but it has 4 doors -> works as a normal family sedan. And also 4WD etc. good for finnish winter. (I'd choose impreza over lancer evo because it's more beautiful and has the hole for ski's from trunk to cabin.)

"Only" 280 hp , 250km/h but way enough for roads where I drive.

(and both of these cars are made in coutry where thay know have to built cars that do work)

I wouldn't say a WRX STi is a sports car, but to each his own. A sports car just doesn't have 4 doors. Now I will agree with a statement that an Evo or WRX are sport compacts. But I do agee that the STi is a better choice over the Evo any day. Subaru's styling is very sexy and they know how to get the job done.

The Skyline is the Mustang of Japan. That's really all that needs to be said about that. Don't get me wrong, it is a wonderful machine that I would love to own (Motorex makes them street legal here in the US for a big old price) and mod the hell out of it. The RB26 is one engine that has been thrown through loops and holes and still comes out a champion. The only reason I say it's the mustang of Japan is that it is an icon over there and is common place. I've always considered it as a competitor to the GTO of Japan (3000GT VR4) but it always came out on top. It's a shame Nissan never brought it here to the US. Was it available anywhere in Europe?

3dcgi said:
I'm with you pascal. Mclaren F1. I love my Corvette though.
I loved the idea of making a road car using the F1 technology. Nobody will drive at 384 Km/h , I think about the instant G´s accelerations like a good motorcycle and probably great maneuverability 8)

Corvette is great 8)

Nobody will drive at 384 Km/h , I think about the instant G´s accelerations like a good motorcycle and probably great maneuverability
Actually, IIRC, there was a guy in Germany who did commute in one at, pretty much, top speed. I suspect he'd get annoyed by people hogging the fast lane, say, only doing 160kph.

Simon F said:
Nobody will drive at 384 Km/h , I think about the instant G´s accelerations like a good motorcycle and probably great maneuverability
Actually, IIRC, there was a guy in Germany who did commute in one at, pretty much, top speed. I suspect he'd get annoyed by people hogging the fast lane, say, only doing 160kph.
Is this guy still alive ? :oops:

No idea... but I imagine you'd need a good set of peril sensitive sunglasses if you were a passenger.

:LOL:

Seated on a backroom chair,
Talk to my emotions.
Feeling driven 'round a corner.
Half way 'round it, still I'm stuck.

Welcome to the church of me.
You could be the priest for sure.
Catch a song without a melody.
Sing along, don't find no words.

Don't wear shades when it's dark outside. Don't wear shades when it's dark outside.

And I don't see through it
And I've got open eyes
And I don't see through it
And I just don't see...

Don't wear shades when it's dark outside. Don't wear shades when it's dark outside.

Back