IE 6 and links not opening...

Another thing I noticed with FF.

When I press "backspace" the previous page is reloaded very fast. Faster than IE6.

digitalwanderer said:
And another starts down the dark path... :devilish:

haha yeah... XD

nice job guys ;) although, i must say, mito, you may at some point, before you get sucked into firefox for life, want to give opera a chance, and also, i use a tabbed IE shell (maxthon, another good one is avantbrowser) -- you may want to give them a shot to see what the options are...

actually, mito, i currently use Maxthon (formerly MyIE2). I have used opera several times in the past, and have always found it quite innovative, if not perfect. afaik it was the first tabbed browser, and has always had robust bookmark options. all of my favorite features from maxthon and firefox are lifted from opera (i mean conceptually; it's not stolen code, i'm sure), like tabs, integrated search, RSS, news, irc, and popup blocking, per-page cookie rules, launch groups, superior bookmark management, and importation of IE favorites. How all of these functions work, however, is different in each program. it's something of a matter of pick-which-bugs-annoy-you-least. In my experience, all of them are less stable than vanilla IE, but all of them are more stable than 200 concurrent instances of vanilla (or even 20). since I have begun using tabbed browsers i have gradually ramped up to where my browser typically has 250+ tabs open at once, so.... ^^;; i admit; i'm lazy; instead of reading things i just leave them open "in case i get to them later". sorry for the copout, but i just haven't used the latest version of opera so "my experience" is that it was incredibly rich but buggy.

my loose rankings (best to worst, haven't used the latest versions of every program):

features/plugins: firefox, opera, avantbrowser, maxthon
stability/compatibility: maxthon, avantbrowser, opera, firefox
render speed: maxthon, opera, firefox, avantbrowser

i'm thinking of giving firefox another try soon, so that the pages i hit will see the need for proper standards compliance, but my g/f is having issues with the latest release of firefox so i might wait till the next fix.

only complaint I have about Firefox is it still lacks some stability, it still crashes sometimes. though I almost like crashing, thanks to session saver/crash recovery (extension implementing what opera does)

I used a bit mozilla 1.7/1.8, seems more stable than firefox.

I guess I could manage to live with Opera, but the interface is too alien; especially, the shortcuts are non standard (I like using the same shortcuts in firefox, mozilla, windows explorer.exe, the most useful one being ALT-D).
It can be customized, but it would be too much work. (and it doesn't have extensions)

Blazkowicz_ said:
(I like using the same shortcuts in firefox, mozilla, windows explorer.exe, the most useful one being ALT-D).
It can be customized, but it would be too much work.
If editing a text-file is considered hard work, then yes...
Code:
Opera Preferences version 2.0
; Keyboard input specification file for Opera 8.0
; This file is stored in UTF-8 encoding

[Version]
File Version=1

[Info]
Name=Opera Standard
Description=Opera Standard Keyboard setup
Author=Opera Software ASA
Version=1

[Application]
Platform Windows-Unix-QNX, h ctrl			= Hide Opera
ContextMenu		= Show context menu
Enter ctrl		= Wand
Platform Mac, Enter meta = Wand
c ctrl			= Copy
c ctrl shift		= Copy to note
v ctrl			= Paste
v ctrl shift		= Paste to note
d ctrl			= Paste and go
d ctrl shift		= Paste and go
x ctrl			= Cut
z ctrl			= Undo
y ctrl			= Redo
z ctrl shift		= Redo
y ctrl shift		= Undo
a ctrl			= Select all
u ctrl			= Clear
Ins			= Toggle overstrike
Del			= Delete
Platform Windows-Unix-QNX, Backspace	= Backspace | Back
Platform Mac, Backspace					= Backspace | Delete | Back
Backspace shift		= Backspace | Forward | Fast forward
Platform Mac, i ctrl			= Edit properties
Enter alt		= Edit properties
Platform Windows-Unix-QNX, i ctrl			= Edit properties
Del shift		= Cut
Ins ctrl		= Copy
Ins shift		= Paste
Platform Windows-Unix-QNX, Backspace alt	= Undo
n ctrl			= New page

Blazkowicz_ said:
only complaint I have about Firefox is it still lacks some stability, it still crashes sometimes. though I almost like crashing, thanks to session saver/crash recovery (extension implementing what opera does)

it usually crashes when you come to some of "IE only" sites.... thats main reason for FF crashes.
since i also have session saver i dont bother much with such sites after they crash my browser...

i think the best thing about FFgaining considerable market share (ok, not 50%, but still) is that now more and more developers will be forced to make sites standard compliant and dont use "IE only" tricks....
simple truth is, with current percentages, if you dont follow standards, you can lose 15% of your visitors....

in some cases less, in some cases more, depending on what kind of site you are running, but i know pretty good example here how things can change.... computer online store had navigation that worked in IE only and since FF came and they got tons of mail pointing to them that there is no way people gonna buy anything on their site unless they correct it....
guess what?
they did it.....

there are few others i know of, but many still have idiotic "this site was made for IE only" on index page. :rolleyes:

Back