IE 6 and links not opening...

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
I just noticed that external links do not open a new page. I click on them and nothing happens.

Only links that point to the page's own domain do work... Couldn't find any option in IE preferences.

What happened?

The computer gods are giving you a sign that you should switch to Firefox! :oops:

You've been blessed, don't ignore this important and gracious message!

Do you use only FireFox?

Is it totally compatible with IE6? (java, flash, scripts, php, etc...)

mito said:
Is it totally compatible with IE6? (java, flash, scripts, php, etc...)
Java works on virtually any modern browser so long as you have the JRE. Same with Flash, so long as you have the plugin. So does JavaScript. PHP is a server-side scripting language so is irrelevant. Download it, it's free and see...

mito said:
I just noticed that external links do not open a new page. I click on them and nothing happens.

Only links that point to the page's own domain do work... Couldn't find any option in IE preferences.

What happened?

It's part of the stricter rules (patches) to prevent browser hijacks by things like advertizing. You could turn it off, but think about this: if Microsoft feels it is necessary to do things like that to lessen the risk that any amount of malware can take over your computer through IE if it gets the chance, it might be time to do as digi says, and switch to something that does work instead.

There are some things that IE does differently.
Note: this is not the same as 'IE does right & Firefox does wrong'.
Basically IE interprets certain bits of HTML differently to how the actual W3 standard says it should and there are some non standard things that IE can do & Firefox can't.
Most websites don't use those though & rare are the websites with even minor formatting differences.
Anyway, for any sites that Firefox doesn't see right, you can go to IE for them.

arrrse said:
There are some things that IE does differently.
Note: this is not the same as 'IE does right & Firefox does wrong'.
Basically IE interprets certain bits of HTML differently to how the actual W3 standard says it should and there are some non standard things that IE can do & Firefox can't.
Most websites don't use those though & rare are the websites with even minor formatting differences.
Anyway, for any sites that Firefox doesn't see right, you can go to IE for them.

i had problems with IE on some sites where i made admin interface for owners using HTMLarea.... while they worked in FF perfectlly, IE had major troubles.

also....there is nice extension for FF that allows you to open any site in IE if it doesnt work in FF....

for other questions about extensions (i can see people's hair rasing now) be free to ask.... there are over 700 extensions for Firefox around....some are lame, some are funny, but many are really usefull....

I believe something is f*cked up...

CTRL+F doesn't work... Edit->Find doesn't work either.

Is the registry messed up? How can I restore original settings without reinstalling ie6?

Try these things -

1. Go to your C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\ folder and check through the ActiveX files there. Any that say 'Damaged' or look dodgy delete.

2. In IE go to Tools > Internet Options > Programs > Manage Add Ons and check there for anything that looks dodgy and disable it.

3. Just go and download Opera/FireFox and be done with it!

mito said:

Is the registry messed up? How can I restore original settings without reinstalling ie6?

Go download Spybot and AdAware, this sounds like you cought some CoolWebSearch variant.

_xxx_ said:
mito said:

Go download Spybot and AdAware, this sounds like you cought some CoolWebSearch variant.

I have Spybot 1.4 and regularly run HijackThis.

But it doesn't matter anymore, because I'm using FireFox right now! :rolleyes:

Note:

Nice browser, clean and "honest" ;). It has got my attention.

Does its Download Manager support resuming?

It appears to be a bit slower than IE6 in some cases, for example, while mounting this page's tables (each post is a table, right?)... But no big deal.

Back