[Idea] EE+GS+RDRAM on PCI/Exp in desktop

Perhaps you could expand your thoughts to more than one sentence?

I think that PSP market is exactly what you would like to se of a redesigned PS2. PSP hardware already has got similar capabilities of what a PS2 can make at lower resolution and without technical architecture enhancement of the original home console structure. This help to have a rendering comparable to PS2 like result on a 4.3" screen. Sony sell this console as portable Playstastion and all his idea of portable gaming is inside this console. Another one could only take out the already difficult focus from the PSP.

I think that PSP market is exactly what you would like to se of a redesigned PS2. PSP hardware already has got similar capabilities of what a PS2 can make at lower resolution and without technical architecture enhancement of the original home console structure. This help to have a rendering comparable to PS2 like result on a 4.3" screen. Sony sell this console as portable Playstastion and all his idea of portable gaming is inside this console. Another one could only take out the already difficult focus from the PSP.

Did you bother to read my post at all? My strongest arguments for the PSTwo travelmate was the ability to play standard DVDs from my library of films and play the same games we do at home, (it would of course include the option for attaching a second screen like most portable DVD-players).
That is exactly what I as a consumer would like to see in a redesigned PSTwo for use in cars.

But you are probably right that Sony wants me to buy a second device with incompatible games and films, and force my children to stare down their lap in order to give them motion sickness in the car. Maybe they are not really interested in what the consumers want, maybe they have been putting all efforts into getting the business plan for the PS3 right......... :???:

While we are on the subject. A little bit similar thought I had about the PS2 chip set.

Why haven't Sony taken the slimline PS2 and integrated a display to have a console that could be used in cars to entertain the children during long trips. There is a huge market for portable DVD players for that purpose. A portable PS2 for cars would be a big seller. What is the rationale for Sony not introducing such a device? I really can't see it would cannibalise the PSP market.

Because 3rd parties have been doing it for a while already...

hupfinsgack said:
Yeah, Sega even had the AMSTRAD with the built-in Megadrive before that.

Ah yes, the Teradrive (Amstrad's MegaPC was a Teradrive model 3). Of course before that there was the SC 3000 which was basically a home computer version of the SG 1000 console (of course the computer derived from a console was all the rage back in the early to mid 80's).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen some cars with LCD screens and PS2's in them.

I don't see why Sony should take care of this very niche market, when car manufacturers and "car pimps" can take care of it.

I've seen some cars with LCD screens and PS2's in them.

I don't see why Sony should take care of this very niche market, when car manufacturers and "car pimps" can take care of it.

Could be, I just happen to know a lot of people in that niche, families with children and car(s), who are quite active consumers.

I would like to add, that the step from picking up a portable DVD at the supermarket as these families do today, to go to an expensive car pimp or search the internet for some non-brand not-so-good third party solution is quite big for most consumers.

I think there is a substantial consumer demand for that kind of product, but Sony probably is afraid that people would mix it up with the PSP and thereby weaken the PSP brand and therefore Sony ignores that market. Maybe the right decision from their perspective, but not from my perspective.:cry:

There allready is one such product on the market, I think.
Kind of a laptop with PS2 in it, instead of a PC. :)
I've seen one atleast.. :)

Yeah, I have a better idea... include the PS2 integrated/slim hardware in every DVD or BluRay player Sony makes. If it costs peanunts to add (assuming in the tens of dollars cost, for the hardware plus controller port and extra PSU beefiness... and let the user purchase a controller separately if they want to use that functionality) I think there could be a niche for that.

OK, well, maybe not in every model (they do seel so <$50 Sony DVD players at Wally-World), but at least in the ~$150 and up ones.

Or, perhaps a built in PS2 for every Sony Bravia TV they make... what, maybe $50 extra cost for the hardware and DVD drive?

Would be interesting at least.

:)

Yeah, I have a better idea... include the PS2 integrated/slim hardware in every DVD or BluRay player Sony makes. If it costs peanunts to add (assuming in the tens of dollars cost, for the hardware plus controller port and extra PSU beefiness... and let the user purchase a controller separately if they want to use that functionality) I think there could be a niche for that.

OK, well, maybe not in every model (they do seel so <$50 Sony DVD players at Wally-World), but at least in the ~$150 and up ones.

Or, perhaps a built in PS2 for every Sony Bravia TV they make... what, maybe $50 extra cost for the hardware and DVD drive?

Would be interesting at least.

:)

They'll do even better - since Sony will get a Cell in every TV, and with the recent Cellius anouncement - there will be games on that, probably some of those from PSN.

They'll do even better - since Sony will get a Cell in every TV, and with the recent Cellius anouncement - there will be games on that, probably some of those from PSN.

Yeah... When??

CES 2007 just finished and not one manufacturer showed any consumer product with Cell, or even talked about it. If something was in the pipeline, it would have been at CES.

Yeah... When??

CES 2007 just finished and not one manufacturer showed any consumer product with Cell, or even talked about it. If something was in the pipeline, it would have been at CES.

I dont know when, but wasnt that the ideea? To make an affordable processor that could be used in all CE devices?

Back