[Idea] EE+GS+RDRAM on PCI/Exp in desktop

Simon82

Newcomer
Hello,

I was watching at EE+GS chip mounted on PS3 motherboard and I was thinking that it's a great integration of an hardware already optimized with PS2 Slim architecture. With this kind of small part of an entire console, do you think that Sony could make money from using that chip in a internal pc desktop component using PCI or the secondary PCIExpress to render Playstation2 games on PC desktop? I think that at this stage of PS2 life, Sony could use PS2 enormous titles number porting it to PC community with a so small effort devealoping a card controlled by a software that take advantages of what emulator nowdays could not do.
This card could write on the frame buffer as Matrox M3D one already did ten years ago and could let them sell more games and write the word "end" to an excellent console as PS2 has been.

:?:

(they make this on PSP with PS1 official emulation using Connectix bought code in the past age)

Last edited by a moderator:
They could but I don't think it would sell too well unless it was really cheap like $50 or less.

Well, I think that nowdays they could sell it at that price. I think also that with a good marketing strategy PC community could be happy to take advantages of this idea. I don't remember but an old console shoud has been ported to pc in this way.. I don't know what happened but.. maybye Saturn?

SEGA attempted that idea by developing a Dreamcast add-in card for the PC but never took it mass market for some reason.

A PS2 version would have to overcome all of the cut corners that many of its games needed in rendering and display like lower non-standard resolutions, lack of proscan support, and field rendering.

Sony will not encourage people to use expensive PCs to run PS2 games. They want you to have an expensive PS3 to run them on instead.

While we are on the subject. A little bit similar thought I had about the PS2 chip set.

Why haven't Sony taken the slimline PS2 and integrated a display to have a console that could be used in cars to entertain the children during long trips. There is a huge market for portable DVD players for that purpose. A portable PS2 for cars would be a big seller. What is the rationale for Sony not introducing such a device? I really can't see it would cannibalise the PSP market.

While we are on the subject. A little bit similar thought I had about the PS2 chip set.

Why haven't Sony taken the slimline PS2 and integrated a display to have a console that could be used in cars to entertain the children during long trips. There is a huge market for portable DVD players for that purpose. A portable PS2 for cars would be a big seller. What is the rationale for Sony not introducing such a device? I really can't see it would cannibalise the PSP market.

Good idea - but how will they call it? PS2P?;)

Cost?

The right answer should be that Sony want to sell PS2 and with the Slim you have all you need to fit in car a console without monitor, thing that they don't sell and are not interested on. A complete redesign could be not worth for a market like car gaming.

The right answer should be that Sony want to sell PS2 and with the Slim you have all you need to fit in car a console without monitor, thing that they don't sell and are not interested on. A complete redesign could be not worth for a market like car gaming.

Maybe, but those car kits(third party) with separate screens result in a lot wires and a lot of hassle that make them pretty useless, because you don´t want to leave this stuff permanent in the car.
I know that is what has prevented me from getting one.

Redesign would be fairly cheap, just an new box with integrated display and a better DVD drive. There would be no problem selling it for twice the price of a PS2. It could share the same PCB as the PS2, so the mass volume argument does not really hold. I think they could sell 1+ millions of those units/year with the right marketing.

Maybe, but those car kits(third party) with separate screens result in a lot wires and a lot of hassle that make them pretty useless, because you don´t want to leave this stuff permanent in the car.

Redesign would be fairly cheap, just an new box with integrated display and a better DVD drive. There would be no problem selling it for twice the price of a PS2. It could share the same PCB as the PS2, so the mass volume argument does not really hold. I think they could sell 1+ millions of those units/year with the right marketing.

I think you need a PSP then.. :D
If you think at this, it has all you need and with modification you can connect a PS2 like pad.

Why not just lower the price of the PSTwo and sell 1, 2, 3+ millions?

Why not just lower the price of the PSTwo and sell 1, 2, 3+ millions?
Why not do both? :)

Point is that the car console is an additional market to the console in the living room market, sharing the same games.

Maybe Sony/(Nintendo as well could easily redesign their GC) recognise such a device would cannibalise their handheld market, they certainly have some reasons.

The consumer is the loser in this case, becasue a PSTwo TravelMate with both the capability of showing standard DVDs and allowing multiplay of standard PS2 games would be a must-have for many families travelling a lot by car, as I see it.

The consumer is the loser in this case, becasue a PSTwo TravelMate with both the capability of showing standard DVDs and allowing multiplay of standard PS2 games would be a must-have for many families travelling a lot by car, as I see it.

I would love such a thing in my office! Just imagine the possibilities...

Why not do both? :)

Point is that the car console is an additional market to the console in the living room market, sharing the same games.

Maybe Sony/(Nintendo as well could easily redesign their GC) recognise such a device would cannibalise their handheld market, they certainly have some reasons.

But in contrast with PSP market. ;)

Well because it's easier to lower the price than to redesign and manufacture and advertise a brand new PSTwo Travelmate.

Yes, but that would not gain any shares from the car DVD-player market.

Are you assuming the that market is to small for Sony, to make such an effort. Cost of the redesign is small, setting up a separate assembly line from mainly standard PStwo parts should be fairly small. The marketing effort may be the big cost.

Back