I need a coordinate map of countries

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
Should be in a format of x, y coordinates which will render a country.

Reason?
Bored, so I invented a board game that allows you to play against a computer.
The aim of the game is to conquer the world using armies and invading other countries.

I have all the groundwork laid out.
My only issue is that I can't draw for shit.
I've even created my own editor.

If I can get a bunch of coordinates which make up these countries so far:
America, Iran and Australia.

I can create my own loaders and the like so that isn't an issue.

Thanks.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Sage said:
sounds like a game called Risk?

What's that?

It's a board game that sounds frighteningly similar to what you described you were making. Personally I hate it because the only factor that influences who wins is pure luck.

Does it infringe on copyright?
What would happen if I released my game?

At least in the US, if you didn't use their artwork or the name Risk you shouldn't run into any problems. As a matter of fact you'll often find cheap knock offs on store shelves sold under different names.

I have no idea how that would work over there though.

:oops:
Doesn't Risk have a "classic" state almost at the same level as Monopoly and Scrabble? You're supposed to know that game. :)

Either way: http://www.google.com/search?q=risk+board+game

You probably don't have anything to wory about, considering the amount of freeware implementations that exist.

Killer-Kris said:
Personally I hate it because the only factor that influences who wins is pure luck.
:oops: You definitely haven't played it with any people that are good at it. (Or maybe that's why you say it depends on luck. :devilish: ;)) I don't like this kind of games either, but it's definitely a game you can be very good at.

So I would have to avoid using the name "Risk".
So what happens if I accidentally name it under a knock off product's name?

Obviously there are players that can transcend luck (dice rolls) at RISK.

In my circles though, dice rolls are the game.. practically..

First time I played Risk, we were a group of faily smart people reading the rules, folowing them, doing our best to win, and geting bored because there was so much relying on luck.

Gave it up.

Fast forwad a bunch of years.

There was a group of people that played a lot of Risk in my dorm (or whatever it should be called) at university. First reaction was, "Hey, isn't that booring?" But I looked at them with half an eye while watching TV, and realized that at my first attempt, we had completely missed the point of the game. - Diplomacy. (Or in other words, making allies and stabbing them in the back.)

There was one guy that won most rounds, and a second guy winning most of the rest of the games. It was quite amazing to see how big change it was in the game when you start to make side-rules.

Don't misunderstand this, the rules that came with the game was the one and only law that could not be broken. But you make diplomacy rules as you go. Manipulate the other players to see where the "real threat" is. And make expllicit threats of retalliation (within the game).

"I will back out of South America so you can have it for you self, as long as you make sure that X won't get all of North America."

"Don't you see that he's got mid-east, and is on his way to Australia! You know what that means. You've got to put all your new troops at New Zealand, and stomp him down."

"If you attack my mid-east, I'll haunt you to my last troup. And even if I'll die on the way, you will be so badly hurt that the others will finish you off in no time. %¤# I'll haunt you in the next game too."

My favorite variations of the rules is The Nuke Rule. If an attacker roles all 6s, the country is nuked. If a defender roles all 1s the country is nuked. All armies involved in the attack and defense of the country are wiped out. No one can move into that country until an entire round has passed.

Anyone remember Strategic Conquest? It was really popular on the Mac around 1989 but had an earlier incarnation on PDP-11s (VAX) in an ASCII version. Quite addictive and much better than Risk.

There is an old table game that people like a lot here in Brazil. It is a champion of sales. It is called WAR and is manufactured by GROW since 1972.
It is a worldwide war with goals, spies, strategy and some luke (dices).
from 3 to 6 people (IMHO better with 4 people) :)
war_1.gif

and it has two more advanced (newer) options:
http://www.grow.com.br/produtos/war_2.htm
http://www.grow.com.br/produtos/war_especial.htm

Basic said:
But I looked at them with half an eye while watching TV, and realized that at my first attempt, we had completely missed the point of the game. - Diplomacy. (Or in other words, making allies and stabbing them in the back.)

Exactly! It's a brilliant game once you grasp that.

Back