I just chucked my keyboard in the dishwasher.

Ingenu said:
I believe there are waterproof keyboards out there, some even soft, I would recommend you buy one of such to avoid any further problems.
Ever since I got this Logitech Ultra X I've become hopelessly spoiled and a regular keyboard just won't do. The water-proof ones all feel goofy/have bad action, at least all the ones I've tried.

Best solution would be for me to pick up a couple more Ultra X's for cheap and keep 'em in reserve, or else try a few other ultra-flats.

My keyboard loods good and seems dry, but I'll wait 'til after I've had a bit more coffee to try it out.

I forgot the most obvious thing:
Forbid eating and drinking but in the kitchen, that way you'll save everything in your house :p
(Really how evil can you be to eat or drink next to your keyboard ?!)

Ingenu said:
I forgot the most obvious thing:
Forbid eating and drinking but in the kitchen, that way you'll save everything in your house :p
(Really how evil can you be to eat or drink next to your keyboard ?!)
I pretty much only eat by my keyboard, my kitchen table doesn't even have chairs! :LOL: (My puppies ate them)

As to how, it's called a "corner hutch unit". ;)

digitalwanderer said:
I didn't mean to dis your suggestion Baron, I'm just on another "zero IT" budget phase right now and a $50 keyboard is out of the question.

I'll ask my wife for one for Xmas. :)

Hahaha, $50 is cheap for a keyboard. I refuse to admit how much I shelled out for my real IBM Black M13. But it's Black, IBM, Clicky and has the Trackpoint on it.

I got mine from http://www.clickykeyboards.com/ and they have right now, one adjustable ergonomic clicky board, it's only $599!

bah...i got some cheap keyboard i acctually like, but i have only one problem... it has some weird key right to right-shift....says "Fn".... usless and cant use it in games.....

otherwise its great.....

BTW :: my last keyboard got nice washing treatment and everything and still didnt wanna work, so i bought this cheap mofo.... if i wasnt used to have "crouch" in every FPS on that key it would be perfect...

ohhh well.....

The Baron said:
Stop being stupid.

It's $50, and it will last until the END. OF. TIME. Plus it's dead sexy.

I have had one like that for a long time, I even took it along when switching jobs. An original, form an IBM AT. Although I took out the steel weight at some time.

They're the best!

DiGuru said:
I have had one like that for a long time, I even took it along when switching jobs. An original, form an IBM AT. Although I took out the steel weight at some time.

They're the best!
Mine is 15.5 years old. And you took out the steel weight?! That's the best part! Nobody expects getting hit in the face with a keyboard!

The Baron said:
Mine is 15.5 years old. And you took out the steel weight?! That's the best part! Nobody expects getting hit in the face with a keyboard!

Yeah, I love Model M's. Although, my roommates never did like me coding away on one :D

You gonna run and buy the ergo one Baron?

The M is just too high for my keyboard tray, I'd need a new desk.

Actually I do need a new desk, but I probably won't get one until I get my new computer room. :(

Btw, there is nothing wrong with washing electronics with water, the soap isn't much of a problem and while heat might a problem for the plastic case, keys and stuff, most dishwashers have a "soft" program for that. Most PCB's are washed with water and soap after soldering, to remove the flux.

The first time I cleaned a keyboard (the IBM AT one), I just removed the keys and casing, and used a high-pressure hose (from a distance). Worked great.

Just have it dry well.

the maddman said:
Yeah, I love Model M's. Although, my roommates never did like me coding away on one :D

You gonna run and buy the ergo one Baron?
Ergonomic keyboards can kiss my ass. I was typing on an Amiga 500 when I was three. I'm not changing now. :p

The Baron said:
Ergonomic keyboards can kiss my ass. I was typing on an Amiga 500 when I was three. I'm not changing now.

I've had a MS ergo keyboard since '96. Wife just cleaned it for me last month so now it's all white and shiny, like my forehead.

John Reynolds said:
Wife just cleaned it for me last month so now it's all white and shiny, like my forehead.
My wife fears cleaning even near my PC, she knows how overprotective I am of Bubbles. :oops:

Then again, I'm the one who cleans the house the most so it's a bit of a moot point.

The Baron said:
Ergonomic keyboards can kiss my ass. I was typing on an Amiga 500 when I was three. I'm not changing now. :p

I started on a C-64 laying on the carpet, so I know where you are coming from.

But at work they make us use Ergonomic keyboards, so we have those evil, evil MS Natural Keyboard Elite around here. They have the cross shaped arrow key layout (WTF?) and moved the insert and delete key around.

I keep a couple of the old MS Natural keyboards hidden in the back just so i can type on something with a decent layout. I have 3 of them hidden in the parts room, and I very carefully clean mine about once a year. Everyone thinks I'm nuts, but after hitting delete on accident in the middle of 10k of code, I gave up on the Elites.

DiGuru said:
Btw, there is nothing wrong with washing electronics with water, the soap isn't much of a problem and while heat might a problem for the plastic case, keys and stuff, most dishwashers have a "soft" program for that. Most PCB's are washed with water and soap after soldering, to remove the flux.

The first time I cleaned a keyboard (the IBM AT one), I just removed the keys and casing, and used a high-pressure hose (from a distance). Worked great.

Just have it dry well.

I've washed a Sega Genesis/Mega Drive motherboard in a dishwasher just fine. And yes, most PCB's are washed in hot water using chemicals and then dried using hot air guns.

And I doubt you could seriously damage a keyboard in a washer since you can clean plastic cups in a dishwasher without melting them.

Reznor007 said:
And I doubt you could seriously damage a keyboard in a washer since you can clean plastic cups in a dishwasher without melting them.

I have seen a few plastic items (cheap cups and cutlery) that didn't survive their encounter with the dishwasher. They didn't melt into goo or anything but they warped horribly. There's some plastic you can melt with just hot tap water, those plastic pop containers for example.

The Baron said:
Stop being stupid.

It's $50, and it will last until the END. OF. TIME. Plus it's dead sexy. Cleaning it is the easiest thing in history--pop the keys out, spray some compressed air outside so you don't get dust/crap/whatever everywhere, and put the keys back on. Takes about 20 minutes.

This is what I've been looking for for years! :D Now if I could only find one in Germania...

A review of that Customizer 101 that I just hunted up to read since this clunky piece-o-shite that I'm using feels just freaking stone aged to me!!!!

I tried hooking up my UltraX last night, but some key is jammed on it and it just kept clicking. :( I'm gonna give it a bit more dry time and see if that fixes it, but I'm also starting to hunt for a new keyboard.

Damn it! I need a fast-action, low-profile keyboard now; I'm spoiled. :oops:

Oooooh!

dsintl_1873_1126683

Well, this Rosewill at Newegg.com looks interesting to me, and at $15 shipped it seems a much better deal.

23-201-014-02.JPG

It looks like a knock off of my UltraX, and Rosewill is Newegg.com's housebrand now. I got a Rosewill PSU and it's been serving me proper, I think I'll be giving this keyboard a try. :)

Back